When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pay for an Expensive Replica Patek?

ye.zero

The following is an extremely beautiful replica of a Patek Philippe ... movements, dial, face etc. are 100% Swiss. the leather band, crystal face, crown and hour markers however are genuine Patek watch parts.

Except the price is $1900

Would you pay it?

No, I can't afford it even at that price. :(

Flossin' material. Big time. Where's your Lear jet? Where's the Mclaren F1? Will you be eating dinner here in Monaco tonight or in the Hamptons?

Buck up and save for a real Patek or do tha smart thing: buy a $1900 OEM 2nd hand. Frankenpateks don't make much sense to me. The Patek caliber of horlogerie is all about the honest experience of owning the real thing. And there are plenty of Pateks that are obtainable at earthly prices. Most everything else IMHO is great for frankens, but not Patek...

Anyhow, who cares what I think though :crazy:

I've never been one to stop a man from shootin' a gun. It just ain't my business :horse:

Flossin' material. Big time. Where's your Lear jet? Where's the Mclaren F1? Will you be eating dinner here in Monaco tonight or in the Hamptons?

Buck up and save for a real Patek or do tha smart thing: buy a $1900 OEM 2nd hand. Frankenpateks don't make much sense to me. The Patek caliber of horlogerie is all about the honest experience of owning the real thing. And there are plenty of Pateks that are obtainable at earthly prices. Most everything else IMHO is great for frankens, but not Patek...

Anyhow, who cares what I think though :crazy:

I've never been one to stop a man from shootin' a gun. It just ain't my business :horse:

You make a good case. I would buy it if it really had such a high calibre movement in it. But then again, if I could get a genuine one for $50K and the offer was legit, I mean, damn, why not?

It's the same with all high end brands out there. That's why I obsess over brands like AP, Journe, Vacheron, Breguet and Patek. There is inherent enjoyment in owning the real thing. Whether or not the satisfaction is worth $10K or $20K to you is your own choice.

I mean, I would shell out the money for a FP Journe tourbillon, if it comes around at the right price, even though I know it cost a miniscule fraction of it to make.

And about Patek at earthly price, I'm not too sure about that, a standard Calatrava manual wind 3919 goes for something like $6K used.

Great points, I agree highly. It is all about the movements in these babies.

$6k is earthly enough for most folks (at least once in their lives). Especially for something that will outlive them and that can be passed on to the offspring. Every true collector has gotta have at least one Calatrava Model 96!

While not so extravagant, I am saving up for a Breguet Type XX Areonavale... Or maybe a vintage decomissoned Type XX with papers. Breguets make me pass out. So do some Pateks. Sometimes I'm afraid to looks at them in shops for fear of passing out and getting wheeled out on a stretcher :crazy:

While not so extravagant, I am saving up for a Breguet Type XX Areonavale... Or maybe a vintage decomissoned Type XX with papers. Breguets make me pass out. So do some Pateks. Sometimes I'm afraid to looks at them in shops for fear of passing out and getting wheeled out on a stretcher :crazy:

Damn, the vintage Type XX Breguet's are damn nice! But I rarely see them being offered for sale. A used modern one shouldn't set you back much, a strap model can probably be around $3000 if you hit the right deal. But the best Breguet's are it's Traditional models. The tonneau case Heritage is absolutely gorgeous and a true representation of good taste. The roasted Breguet hands on the silver guilloche dial in Yellow gold is the best combo out there.

Most AP's, and everything Perpetual Calendar, Tourbillon, Minute Repeater always floor me. I remember handling a AP Grande Complication Royal Oak in Paris, and I nearly had a heart attack. Listening to the chimes of the repeater will touch any watch lover's heart. I even had the chance to handle one of Patek's most highly complicated watches, a Perpetual Calender with Minute Repeater and Tourbillon. (Although not the Sky Moon Tourbillon). You should try handling these sometime, but I'm not responsible for any injuries or the medical bills you may suffer.

And yes, $6K for a Patek is good enough for some. The 3919 Calatrava is the most classic and timeless watch there probably is out there is existance. The watch can be 100 years old, and it will never go out of style. My father owns one, and my time for it will come sometime, and my future children will get it in the future too, then their children, and it goes on like that.