When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TT 6538

Solaris13man

It's an easy starting place and maybe you could make some improvements. The little metal surround on the pearl is too bad, but maybe you pop it out and possibly an Ofrei pearl might fit in there. Or just leave it w/o the pearl. Tea staining the dial and hands would help age the watch some, beat up the case and bracelet. Drilling the lugholes would help as would the correct spring bars. This is the kind of deal where you're not going to fool a WIS, but then again, your chances of running into one a slim anyway. 99.99% of the population will never know what you're wearing. 

ROLSUB0184 - Vintage Sub Ref 6538 Big Crown James Bond A-2836 [ROLSUB0184] - $238.00 : Trusty Time Watch, Your Trusty Watch Shop

Oh, you could swap in a 2846 eta with the slower beat- 21,6K. Rounding the case might also help. google Rolex 6538 and look at some gens and use those as a go-by.

Thank you for the advice!  Their website says that they can source extra parts so I was considering ordering a couple extra dials and trying to bake/age it a couple different ways and see what was the most effective.  Id really like to get a nice tropical look to the dial and I plan on aging the bezel too.  Do you know where I can source the correct springbars?  I definitely would love to have the correct ones for when I wear it on a nato.   I figure I wouldn't be able to fool anyone that had held the original, but like you said, almost no one has.  I like the idea of swapping out the movement, but I am a little worried about rounding the case as it might not be solid stainless.  I am not familiar enough with modding their cases to know which ones are solid or not. I put in the order tonight, so I when I get it I will add some pictures and observations.

The case will be solid SS so no worries there. I got some springbars from Jules Borel a few weeks ago. You can get a rivet bracelet from rafflesdials.com.

I can't remember but I think I also got a 6538 dial from raffles dials, or was it Helenarou. Can't remember!

Helenarou also has a 6538, but it's a little more pricey and you have to ask for the Rolex marked dial and crown since they don't show them on their site, but I understand they're available if you ask.

6538 Connery Bond Submariner Vintage Watch Case (helenarou.com)

Silix-prime is another place to get the 6538, but it would need a better dial and bezel pearl also

Submariner ROL234 watch, Cheap Submariner ROL234 watch online for sale (silix-prime.es)

On 8/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, Solaris13man said:

Any ideas where I can get a bracelet that's closer to gen spec?  I think the original has the riveted bracelet if I am not mistaken.  Nato strap would be an easy swap but I usually prefer to wear my watches on steel.  

If you are making a budget build keep in mind that afordable cases like silix or HR are 38mm watches that will take 20mm bracelets ( riyi or else), gen specs bracelet can be only used with a gen specs case like  ruby or viet ( this ones can take gen bracelets too which are 19mm) if my memory dont fails.

my fav budget option its silix due the slimmer case.

In my experience all the readily available "Rollie" cases take a 20mm bracelet, the only 19mm pieces you need to worry about are the vintage Daytonas.  But some cheaper examples like the Silix are sized more like 40mm diameter, and the more expensive (more accurate) cases are gen sized at about 37mm.  So dials, crystals and inserts aren't interchangeable.  If you start out with an inexpensive case set, you're stuck using parts that will fit.  Once you jump up to more expensive cases, then genuine and gen-spec parts will fit. 

You can make a darn realistic cheapie using the Silix sized cases and parts, and you'll be perfectly happy with it.  For awhile.  Then you'll catch the bug and start buying ridiculously expensive parts to build a gen-spec watch that really doesn't look that different than your first one.  But you'll know the difference.  It's an illness.  Welcome to the Asylum!

First one:  Silix based.  Second one:  Phong based.  Price difference:  about $6,000

first.jpg

second.jpg

• Haha 1