When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heart Of Gold - Neil Young

jonthebhoy

Just bought the new Neil Young DVD 'Heart of Gold' and it is a wonderful film.

Director Jonathan Demme (STOP MAKING SENSE) pays tribute to folk-rock legend Neil Young in this riveting docu-concert. Filmed at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, HEART OF GOLD offers an intimate portrait of this unique artist through his music and insights on family, friends, mortality, and the passage of time. The film is split into two acts; the former featuring songs from 2005's PRAIRIE WIND album, the latter drawing on four decades worth of hits, where he's joined onstage by long-time musical collaborators including country star Emmylou Harris and steel guitarist Ben Keith. For Demme--already a huge fan of the singer-songwriter--making this film was a labour of love, as he explains it, 'the marriage of music on film is just as thrilling as filmmaking can get for me'.

Even if you are not a Neil Young fan, this is an enthralling and captivating movie. Tons of bonus material as well.

It's only January but I'm putting this up as my DVD of the year.

JTB

Just bought the new Neil Young DVD 'Heart of Gold' and it is a wonderful film.

Director Jonathan Demme (STOP MAKING SENSE) pays tribute to folk-rock legend Neil Young in this riveting docu-concert. Filmed at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, HEART OF GOLD offers an intimate portrait of this unique artist through his music and insights on family, friends, mortality, and the passage of time. The film is split into two acts; the former featuring songs from 2005's PRAIRIE WIND album, the latter drawing on four decades worth of hits, where he's joined onstage by long-time musical collaborators including country star Emmylou Harris and steel guitarist Ben Keith. For Demme--already a huge fan of the singer-songwriter--making this film was a labour of love, as he explains it, 'the marriage of music on film is just as thrilling as filmmaking can get for me'.

Even if you are not a Neil Young fan, this is an enthralling and captivating movie. Tons of bonus material as well.

It's only January but I'm putting this up as my DVD of the year.

JTB

I viewed the movie on "Movies on Demand" sometime ago last year, and also thought it was terrific. If memory serves, I beleive this was filmed shortly following his brain tumor surgery, and Neil and his entrourage seem very reflective in the interviews. I agree, the music is first rate, Emmy Lou is terrific. And Peggy Young surprised me as well. As big a fan as I am, I did not realize she was that active in his shows.

If memory serves, I beleive this was filmed shortly following his brain tumor surgery, and Neil and his entrourage seem very reflective in the interviews.

Indeed it was. The album itself was a reflection of his life, in light of his own concerns about the success or otherwise of his operation and that comes shining through in his lyrics.

JTB

Saw him a couple of years ago when I was in New York - fantastic. And then Roger Waters was here in Sydney a couple of nights ago. Need to spend less money on watches or I won't be able to see the next good concert!