When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

B-1

millwright

I know, I know... this is a REP board...

BUT.

I wanted opinion.

Do you guys think a GEN B-1 is a good investment since it's now discontinued and only for military sale/use?

I only ask b/c my AD here has one and has offered it to me CHEAP.... and he honestly feels that it will be a collectible.

I am also considering an Emergency, as I regularly fly and boat.

Let's hear some thoughts!

breitlings don't seem to hold a great resale value so i doubt it's a good investment but if you like the watch and it's a good deal go for it! if you want to take the resale risk away buy one used at timezone. you should be able to sell for at least what you paid used if you don't like it after awhile. if the AD still has a discontinued model....chances are it's not a very hot item so it's a risky buy if you like to flip your watches.

I think the B-1 is a fantastic watch, and from what I've read, many many Breitling fans agree. If you look at the Breitling brand forum at TZ you will see most have one in their collection. I've heard that the B-1's replacement is considered a step back in beauty. I have handled the new one and I would agree, the dial is a little too flashy for me. If I had to guess, I would say the B-1 will be sought after by collecters as they become more and more scarce. I know I will be looking for one if I ever get plenty of extra cash around (I can dream). As far as if they will ever really appreciate in value, I really am not familiar enough with Breitling resale to say, but given what I have seen with it's popularity, it seems possible to me. If its that good a deal, and it is something you would enjoy owning and wearing, go for it!

I own a few gen Breitlings, among them a B1. Originally on a blue dial, it went for service one year ago and on the occasion, I changed the dial to black. It is one of my favourite watches. A true tool watch and even though it's a quartz movement and that generally is a downer in the eyes of watch afficionados, I just love it. Two time zones, countdown timer, day, date, stopwatch, laptime, waterproof etc...

On the other hand, Breitling is a brand that does not do so well in terms of being collectible. You will hardly find a Breitling that sells for more than it's original sticker price (like a Daytona) or that becomes a sought after classic with ridiculous prices (like a DRSD).

Having said that: if you look for a watch that will increase in value, I would not recommend a B1. If you look for just a great gen watch and like the looks of it... go for it.

my baby...

191129-4881.jpg

I know, I know... this is a REP board...

BUT.

I wanted opinion.

Do you guys think a GEN B-1 is a good investment since it's now discontinued and only for military sale/use?

I only ask b/c my AD here has one and has offered it to me CHEAP.... and he honestly feels that it will be a collectible.

I am also considering an Emergency, as I regularly fly and boat.

Let's hear some thoughts!

Thanks for the responses guys!

I guess it's not a GREAT investment piece..but I do feel like it will become a collectible.

Now I have to decided between the B-1 and the Emergency.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I guess it's not a GREAT investment piece..but I do feel like it will become a collectible.

Now I have to decided between the B-1 and the Emergency.

I personally don't like the looks of the Emergency.... it always reminds me of the hunchback of Notre-Dame... (...the unshapely sender unit, that is...)