When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommended upgrades for PAM 63 ETA 2893

tedbearz

Fer me, nothing other than the strap and quality strap screws. :) It's a fantastic watch out of the box plus I have yet to come across a gen.

For the perfectionist, relume would probably be first and foremost. Other options available would be the new thicker Palp crown plus the new cyclops crystal which improves the weak date mag. I have not seen the latter two installed.

Congrats on the new toy. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

the mods im getting for my 063 are:

genuine rotor- still looking for this...

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the mini-thread-jacking... Please explain the importance of a genuine rotor in a rep with a solid caseback. Are you planning on carrying a caseback remover with you if anyone calls you out? I'm not poking fun at you, I just want to know :huh:

Esmarc :pimp:

i guess im still getting flamed for this...

but as i stated in my previous post, i just like all my reps to be as accurate as can be. why does everyone want the swan neck? same reason. why do some people want the genuine oem movement for their fiddy? im not a con man and i would never try to pass off my reps as gen. i still don't know what the big deal is. like i said, if striving for the most accurate rep makes me a con man, then i guess i am a con man...

Edited by yodaddynukka

No Flames,

I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from. It's your watch and your hobby, enjoy it. I just thought you might enlighten me and say something like...the difference between a repped rotor and a genuine rotor would make your rep fall into COSC standards or something.

Enjoy!

Esmarc :pimp:

• 2 weeks later...

That movement is a must have. :lol: The rotor thing is silly. I have three different 2893's and they all have nicely decorated rotors which you will never see. Yeah, there is a missing "i" in "Officine" on the movement.

Has anyone told Ted what all these mods will add up to: new crown and installation - $100, relume (I forget but let's say) $100, cyclops $35 plus installation, datewheel, if it comes, $60??. So you're are looking at something in excess of $300. But you will have one hell of a watch. :D

I would wait on the crown. An esteemed Board member (read not me) is expecting prototypes of a new and better crown shortly. Couple that with the fact that the cyclops are not coming out for several weeks and you are better off waiting. I would recommend wearing the watch as is until you amass the necessary parts to do several mods at once. If the new crown never arrives there are a number of people with Lello crowns that are willing to sell. I think Davidwis said he had a couple of extra. So I would wait. If no better version of the crown comes out prior to the cyclops, I am happy to hunt around for a spare Lello. I know I have a few lying around. PAM's crowns too.

i guess im still getting flamed for this...

but as i stated in my previous post, i just like all my reps to be as accurate as can be. why does everyone want the swan neck? same reason. why do some people want the genuine oem movement for their fiddy? im not a con man and i would never try to pass off my reps as gen. i still don't know what the big deal is. like i said, if striving for the most accurate rep makes me a con man, then i guess i am a con man...

There's a big difference between a swans neck on a clear back watch and an OEM rotor on a solid back watch. No judgement here--if it's worth the cash for a improvement nobody except a watchsmith is ever going to see, go for it. My watchsmith knows I wear almost exclusively reps, so I'll pass on the rotor.

After crown, cyclops, and datewheel, I feel that the next mod we absolutely need to focus on is the loose lever.

Let's tell the truth, it is an easy and infallible way to detect a rep. A way that even a total noob can learn in a moment. Cfr.: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=28519

Several fixes has been proposed, but those who tried them can tell you how difficult (almost impossible) it is to fit a sleeve around the pin and fit them all into the hole again (no pun intended). And how other fixes actually are all but resolutive.

I can tell, at least.

I am currently thinking on this. Maybe I should call the Watchmen (the group who is bringing the cyclops) at gathering once again... :D

After crown, cyclops, and datewheel, I feel that the next mod we absolutely need to focus on is the loose lever.

Let's tell the truth, it is an easy and infallible way to detect a rep. A way that even a total noob can learn in a moment. Cfr.: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=28519

Several fixes has been proposed, but those who tried them can tell you how difficult (almost impossible) it is to fit a sleeve around the pin and fit them all into the hole again (no pun intended). And how other fixes actually are all but resolutive.

I can tell, at least.

I am currently thinking on this. Maybe I should call the Watchmen (the group who is bringing the cyclops) at gathering once again... :D

Jimmy had some great CG/lever sets. I have one, tried to get my watchmaker to put it on my 029, but the lever needed modding and I held off waiting for the new crowns.

They are good quality and no lever wobble:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aftermarket-Panerai...1QQcmdZViewItem

im done defending myself. all i have to say is if i see a gen rotor i am getting it. if not, no worries either way.

You are probably more likely to see God before you see a genuine rotor. How many genuine PAM's do you think are torn down and flogged of as bits so that you would find just the rotor? The rotor you have is genuine!!! And in fact this one I think has engraving directly onto it rather than a stuck on plate. Hope you are not trying to make it 99.9% with an ulterior motive in mind!!!

Finepics is right. This is one of very few original movement PAM reps with an engraved rotor. And yes, typically PAM OEM movement parts like the rotor are virtually impossible to get as are the whole movement. The biggest issue is that PAM is not a large seller of any one model and on the older models, unlike Rolex or Omega or Breitling, there were not a large number of units made. In fact, one of my friends with a large number of PAM gens says that even PAM can lacking decorated parts and substitute generic ETA parts.

im done defending myself. all i have to say is if i see a gen rotor i am getting it. if not, no worries either way.

No need to defend yourself--but you should keep in mind that many old timers around here understand that we walk a pretty fine line and thus have zero tolerance for even the slightest hint that someone could be using reps for anything other than personal collecting. It doesn't matter for what purpose anyone wants a mod like that--and you have a right to want whatever mod you want--but posting about it here will get a reaction. Nothing personal at all. Just protecting the hobby. Just a fact of life.

@ all: Pay no attention to sssurfer!!! He is mad. Proof: He wants to do another project w/ the rest of us.

Seriously, I know jimmy is getting out of the biz, but I have no doubt that someone will do the following math: CNC machines have a .005mm resolution, a guard has about 10 cents worth of SS in it and many, many people bought flawed guards for $60 USD.

Okay guys,

I finally got fed up with my crown guard and ordered a Jimmy grown guard for my soon to arrive pam 63. I'll post pics when I get the watch and the crown guard. I'll wait to see how the mag and crown look when I get the watch to see if I can live with it. Too bad Jimmy doesn't have crown guards for my pam 196. I'll be getting davidsen hands for the 196 hopefully this week. I'll post pics on how they look. Too many things goin on this week!