When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate 45mm Po Trial By Water

tenacious_b

Well folks, today, i couldn't take not knowing anymore, so I decided to get my PO's wet. Asian Pumpkin & 2006 Dial Swiss. Today we saw action in the shower, the pool, and the hot tub with both watches, and they were tight as a drum and dry as a bone. Precautionary measures included:

1. Case back tightening with needle nose pliars & a chamois ( to prevent scratching )

2. HE Valve tightening with same pliars.

3. Made sure crown was hand tightened.

Nothing fancy, and nothing more than what I stated, and both are doing just fine 4 hours later. More and more it is looking like these are water tight out of the box fairly consistently. Anyone else worked up the nerve?

Bryan

I can try some pic's tonight after work, but all i have is a Sony Handycam, so my pic's are generally crap. I can tell you that the Asian movmt model is physically the exact same as the swiss, except the date font is thinner and when the crown is in the "set hour" position, it sticks out from the case further, both those are both mvmt related isssues. As for the Casing, it's 1:1 between the asian and swiss.

Also, even the best rep is going to have some manufacturing flubs...in gernal, my asian one appears to have been built with more tlc than my swiss.

Gave my asian pumpkin to my buddy for his b-day yesterday, and it was damn hard to let it go. Going to get two more asians; one to replace my pumpkin and the classic dial black. They are awesome!

Bryan

I have the PO45 (Swiss) rep aswell and just a question about the He Valve. It screws out and in again - does it serve any function ? If it is left out, can this let water in?

In the gen version, is the case filled with Helium through this valve and then it vents when it is subjected to high pressures (ie when you go deep sea diving)?

Hmm, I just received my swiss PO 45.5 and noticed the HE valve doesn't close tight. It closes, but it doesn't screw down tight like the crown does. Is that normal?

The HE valve has most of the components of the gen but not the tight tolerances.

It's probably missing the crown gasket (probably the most important gasket). At least mine was and I've heard this from others as well. It's the easiest area for water to get in I'd highly recommend you have a crown gasket put in it'll also help you from losing the HE crown.

Yeah, the rotor on the asian is loud like a 7750, but it doesn't bother me.

tenacious, thanks for the comparison between the 2 PO's with the differing movements. have you noticed the asian movement to be more noisy when the rotor moves versus the other movement? also, is the thinner date font harder to read? thanks.

I cranked both of mine down with a pair of pliars and a buffer to prevent scratching. I mean, I didn't go crazy on it and was very careful, but you cannot losen it by hand now.

Hmm, I just received my swiss PO 45.5 and noticed the HE valve doesn't close tight. It closes, but it doesn't screw down tight like the crown does. Is that normal?