When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When Will They Make A “real Asian 7753” Rep?

fredrik m

I have read that tread but I think it’s so interesting that I brought it up again.

So you assumed that anyone that had heard anything this interesting and important wouldn't have already said something? :Jumpy:

Well, I've not heard anything. In other news, Elvis Presley is still dead.

And round and round we go, weeeeee....... :bangin:

To answer Kruzer's question - why? Because it would open up the possibilities for more and better models = increased revenue opportunity ;) They have already cloned the 7750 (same basic movt, interchangeable parts etc.) so not a huge leap relatively-speaking - the words 'gap' and 'market' spring to mind.

Also more likely to happen (ok well in terms of wishful-thinking then) than say a clone 2894 or complex modular chrono movt or even an EP! Only other possibility is that they produce some sort of analagous movt, not a clone as such but a decent 3-6-9 tri-c......oh god I'm having deja vu.....again :lol:

And round and round we go, weeeeee....... :bangin:

To answer Kruzer's question - why? Because it would open up the possibilities for more and better models = increased revenue opportunity ;) They have already cloned the 7750 (same basic movt, interchangeable parts etc.) so not a huge leap relatively-speaking - the words 'gap' and 'market' spring to mind.

Also more likely to happen (ok well in terms of wishful-thinking then) than say a clone 2894 or complex modular chrono movt or even an EP! Only other possibility is that they produce some sort of analagous movt, not a clone as such but a decent 3-6-9 tri-c......oh god I'm having deja vu.....again :lol:

Does anyone know why the 7753 is so much rarer and so much more expensive than the 7750? A basic Hamilton, Tissot, or Accutron 7750 chrono costs about $600 but a 7753 powered Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono is tough to find and runs about 1K. An Oris 7753 Chrono runs about $1500. Obviously ETA did not do what the Chinese do to move the minute totalizer. Is it an entirely new caliber unrelated to the 7750? If it is, perhaps this explains why the Chinese have not copied it. Throwing a few gears onto a 7750 and getting the same result probably makes better economic sense for them.

The 7750 series are all basically the same movement with a few parts added or removed depending on the caliber.

A 7753 has 14 new/different parts over a 7750, that's it, nothing more. Only 14 pieces make up the difference between a standard 7750, and a genuine correctly made 7753.

How hard can it be to make 14 parts...

RG

The 7750 series are all basically the same movement with a few parts added or removed depending on the caliber.

A 7753 has 14 new/different parts over a 7750, that's it, nothing more. Only 14 pieces make up the difference between a standard 7750, and a genuine correctly made 7753.

How hard can it be to make 14 parts...

RG

How many parts does it take to modify a 7750 to look and perform like a 7753?

I think he means how many parts does it take to get our current 7753's (ie the transfer gears etc hacked in)... I assume he is saying it's less than 14...

You mean ETA 7753 approximation?

The modified 7750 copy movement is still not a 7753 even though it purports to be. One obvious thing missing is the quickset date pusher on the left hand side, which is one of the reasons why the Asian 7750 copy-based PAM187 is inaccurate - the pusher does not change the date.

You mean ETA 7753 approximation?

The modified 7750 copy movement is still not a 7753 even though it purports to be. One obvious thing missing is the quickset date pusher on the left hand side, which is one of the reasons why the Asian 7750 copy-based PAM187 is inaccurate - the pusher does not change the date.

Correct...I was asking how many manipulations do our Asian friends do to the base Asian 7750 to get it to appear to operate like a 7753? My guess is that if it's less than 14, ....that's probably why they modify instead of building a more complex caliber.

You need to change the design of the mainplate for a 7753, then in addition/replacement to the existing 7750 parts, you need to redesign/add 14 parts to make a true 7753 model.

The 7753 lists 14 new parts over and above the mainplate on the parts breakdown.

If they can make the new Asian 7750, there is nothing stopping them from making these extra parts, like the chicken commerical used to say " Parts is parts..."

RG

You need to change the design of the mainplate for a 7753, then in addition/replacement to the existing 7750 parts, you need to redesign/add 14 parts to make a true 7753 model.

The 7753 lists 14 new parts over and above the mainplate on the parts breakdown.

If they can make the new Asian 7750, there is nothing stopping them from making these extra parts, like the chicken commerical used to say " Parts is parts..."

RG

Well, if that's the case, my guess is that we'll see it if the demand for it is there. If the rep buying community is perfectly happy with the present mutant, then we wont.

I don't know what effect a 7753 copy would have on Breitling Navitimer lovers et al. Having an accurately deep set date wheel will probably be warmly welcomed....but what's the cost/reward for the manufacturers????? Will they recoup design/manufacturing costs with increased sales???? Is it an investment/risk this group is prone to take? We'll see.