When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 GMT in need of help

cib0rgman

Hi all,

I am not very active in the forum anymore and I was going thru some of my old parts box. I completely forgot about this build that I was never able to finish. I wonder if someone here would like to give a hand and try to finish it.

Movement ETA 2893-2 GMT and i also have a Chinese GMT the rest is aftermarket of course the dial is Gen, but I Think is too small for the case opening. the movement needs service and I have a few spare part for it.

I started this project back in 2014 almost 10 years in the making. 

Let me know if you are up for a challenge ;)

20231016_174523.jpg

20231016_174419.jpg

20231016_180743.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have not hear from anyone just yet. I still would like to finish this project, but just for my own satisfaction, I find myself only wearing the same two watches out of five that i have. Let me know what part do you have. the GMT movement that I have needs service and maybe buying a new ETA GMT movement would be wasier. the problem i was having is that the Dial that is a gen one looks to small for case opening. this is an old 1655 case. 

"...the dial is Gen, but I Think is too small for the case opening."  

The harsh truth is there is not much of a fix for this. 

When a dial is too small...

First, the dial paint at the edge of the dial gets chipped.

Then a chunk of an hour marker or dot gets scraped off.

How?

By the movement/dial sliding around in the case when setting time, winding the watch, or screwing the crown down.

What is the fix?

A precision spacer and stout case clamps/screws is sometimes a half-azz fix...but if the dial is too small, it will always show.

"the movement needs service and I have a few spare parts for it."

"ETA 2893-2 GMT"

IF  the dial is genuine for sure, maybe find a properly fitting case first and go from there because it would probably be worth finishing.   

Another thing is the 2893 is a fine movement but with 28800 BPH, it will be easy to tell the watch is a replica, especially if anyone handles it and finds the QS date and adj. 24H hand.  Fine for a 16750 etc. though.

But that would be another rabbit hole.  Ha!    

image.png.badb62b30414b2de35c3462c5ab62bda.png

I've been down this road quite a few times and ill-fitting projects hardly ever/never turn out right.   All the parts have to fit reasonably well to start with.

My 'shortcut 1655' fiasco is a good example.

Where is it now?

Case, dial etc. is in the project/junk box.  The Rlx 1570/75 is in a 34mm 1002 'explorer' project watch.  Leftover parts are in a little tin can.

How long did it take to 'complete' the 'SC 1655' project?

Probably 100+ hours counting movement work etc. before I decided to put the movement in the 1002.

If it ever comes back to life, it will have an ETA 2846 with a non adj. Asian 24H setup.  I'll leave it a QS but remove the 'second notch' QS position. 

One major problem I never could get past was it just never looked right.   

But it looks good 'nuff for a 2846.   :pimp:

Good Luck!

• Like 1