When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

crystal press from ebay recommendation 1665

cib0rgman

I have had this press for many years, but, to be honest, I rarely use it. Most of the time, I use a rubber-jawed vice & the nylon spacers. Obviously, you have to use care with a vice (ie, check your alignment BEFORE starting & do not press too hard!), but I think it makes it easier to apply even pressure. But, in general, any press will do as long as you have a proper, well-fitting, set of spacers.

press.jpg

Good choice!

I have a crystal press similar to the press Freddy has and one very good feature of them is the press cups are aluminum, not plastic.  Aluminum press cups are less prone to bend or flex and push a crystal or bezel down crooked. 

Aluminum press cups are also much better when pressing 'armored' or thick 'diver tite' type acrylic crystals into a case.

Otoh, much of this depends on the press plunger OD/shoulder size and ID of the hole in the press cups.  Example...a press with 6mm threaded aluminum cups and a small shoulder on the press plunger may be a bit 'flexy'.  

Tips:

If you are worried about an aluminum crystal cup scratching a crystal or bezel, you can line the cup with watch paper, a section cut from a thin plastic bag etc.

Do not press 5512/13, 1680, SD, 16610 etc. type rotating bezels down with the press cup resting on the bezel insert because it may bend the insert, press on the outer edge of the bezel.  You may need oversize press cups for this.

On Rolex etc. type crystals with a magnifier, make sure there is enough clearance between the flat underside of the press cup and magnifier when pressing bezels down...'Top Hat' 1680 crystals for example.

For diamond bezels, use plastic press cups if possible.

'Lever' presses vs 'screw down' presses:

Lever presses are fine after you get a 'feel' for them when pressing crystals/bezels down.

'Screw down' presses can be a bit more precise with no 'all at once' motion that can crack a crystal.

What do I mostly use?

An old cast iron 'BB' brand press that is probably 50+ years old.

Here is one on the 'Bay:

Vintage BB Crystal Inserting Press w/BB-504 and BB-508 | eBay

• Like 1