When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex "Search" is broken

Ronin

With the enshittification of the Internet, I have come to the conclusion that "Searching" or even using "AI" to find quality Vintage Rolex Data has become a chore. 

Anyone else tired of the watered down data from Millenary, Bobs Watches, Brodinkee, Fratello.... They clearly got their SEO right, but the data is generally to high level.    Search 6542 Albino and you get trapped in Brodinkee land. 

You would think in 2024 there would be a killer online Database of EVERY, Rolex Reference, Rolex Bracelet, Rolex Endlink, Rolex Crystal, . . .   In 2008 you could search Rolex bracelet reference and get 'usable' spreadsheets.  Now you get a $hitty link to Millenary with wrong data.  😠

Try asking an AI about the 6542 and it will conflate the 6543 Milgauss in its answer. 

Sorry about the rant/vent... Other than RWG, where do you guys go for quality Rolex Reference Materials these days.  I am specifically interested in "Parts Interchange" data.  Cheers!

Edit to add:  you also can't show up at TRF/VRF asking about Parts Interchange without raising eyebrows or upsetting the purists either.  ;)

I am glad not to be the only one to have noticed this.

Looks like Rolex info is being dumbed down like everything else.

I have also noticed quite a bit of 'disinformation' (political term  Ha!) on many forums lately.

One exception is 'Xeramic' on VRF.  That guy is sharp.

Something else...it seems like there are more 'Frankensteins' claiming to be 'genuine' and 'all original' now than in the past.  If I can spot one, it's just not too hot.    :pimp:

Somewhere on a hardrive or old Windows XP machine I have tons of stuff I downloaded back in the 00’s.  I’m just too lazy to power it up and sort through it. Like I said, it’s 2024 and I can’t get a solid Google result. 

I’m curious what misinformation have you seen?

edit to add, I was looking for 1030/60 movement info, and even the so called “Caliber” repositories have dropped anything older than a 15xx 🤷🏼

I think the growth of Rolex misinformation/disinformation has simply matched the growth of Rolex 'collectors', especially those of the younger generation, who, just 10 years ago, viewed Rolexes as "old men's watches" & opted for Dick Tracy (ie, Apple) watches over mechanicals. Like just about everything else today, truth has been eclipsed by fashion (parading as truth by those who have been trained to comply to the fashionistas).

But what irks me more than the 'Millenary, Bobs Watches, Brodinkee' clutter is the growth of Indian- & Spanish-language spam that litters google, youtube & other previously useful sources for info/data/pics/vids, all of which have little to do with Rolex & nearly always using the name as click-bait.

Not to turn this thread into a political rant, but, unless AI can change the Titanic's destiny, I think the days of the internet as a reliable source of Rolex knowledge may be behind us.

I’ve noticed the Indian YouTube “tech videos” as well. Clogging up actual good sources. 

digression aside. Maybe that is how we revive RWG. THE definitive source of Rolex knowledge. 😃

• Like 1