When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Someone Wanna Tell Me About New York

TJGladeRaider

Well, that was fun.

Travel to the big city, and meet up with three people I never would have heard of but for this curious little hobby of ours, and find that I like all three.

Very cool, very cool indeed.

Bill

It was a pleasure Bill, hope we can do it again sometime

I love Manhatttan - the best watch shops, architecture and bagels.

Better bagles than watch shows and architecture... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It was a pleasure Bill, hope we can do it again sometime

Better bagles than watch shows and architecture... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

One of the things I look forward to most about visiting my wife's family in Jersey is the bagles. When her sister comes down to visit i tell her to bring a bag with her!

Interesting story about bagels, I'm from Jersey, and yes outside of the NY area bagels are well...just not bagels. I was on travel in California years ago, went to a small eatery for breakfast and got a bagel...suprise just like home. I asked the guy, how they manage to make a bagel that tastes like bagels from back east. He's says "the water", they import the water back from NY. Now I don't know if this is pure BS or not. But I bought it.

Sounded like a fun time. I wish a get together in the NJ/NY area would happen.

Interesting story about bagels, I'm from Jersey, and yes outside of the NY area bagels are well...just not bagels. I was on travel in California years ago, went to a small eatery for breakfast and got a bagel...suprise just like home. I asked the guy, how they manage to make a bagel that tastes like bagels from back east. He's says "the water", they import the water back from NY. Now I don't know if this is pure BS or not. But I bought it.

Sounded like a fun time. I wish a get together in the NJ/NY area would happen.

I've heard this from a lot of people actually - it's in the water. I've also heard about people such as that fine fellow in CA shipping NY area water just to make proper bagels. I wish someone in fredericksburg would do it, all our 'bagel' shops are [censored].

I'm surprised the police doesn't crack down on these dealers in New York. Maybe they are Chinese-mafia controlled...

Actually, Ive seen them do take downs twice. It was both freaky and exciting (very much in the style of NY cop shows). I know a couple of NYPD officers though, and their take is (for the most part) that unless they are being overly annoying, or stupid they turn their heads. Too many real cromes are committed in NYC, and unless you are specifically there targeting counterfeit dealers (and some are, but rarely) they would rather see some of these people earning a semi-legit living rather than resorting to flat out stealing, etc. It's really amazing how out in the open it gets though. One guy on the cornere keeps an eye out for the cops while the other plops down the wares a few yards away.

Some days the Chinese on Canal are flat out schizy if you ask for Rolex or Cartier. Must be undercover in the area those days. they get tip offs. Breitling, Chopard, Panerai, VC, Patek, etc. are almost always out in the open regardless of police presence. I am sure you can guess who the enforcers of the brand world are!

the better reps are pretty darn hard to find, but there are there. I imagine those dealers are more of a target...because they get real nervous if you spend more than a few seconds browsing or inspecting the merch.

I'm surprised the police doesn't crack down on these dealers in New York. Maybe they are Chinese-mafia controlled...

The dealers I referred to are legitimate in the jewelery district on w 47th street. They are not ad's so they do not sell new watches but they do sell vintages. I am told that you can get decent reps from them as well but I do not know that first hand. If they do sell them, they keep the merchandise out of sight.

As for Chinatown, it is actually not that easy to get a rep rolex. I have tried by myself and have had limited success. My g/f is chinese american and speaks mandarin. If she goes without me she can pretty much get whatever she wants. The merchants really have two grades of goods.. the better stuff (including the better bags etc..) they normally keep out of site. I guess that is there way of mitigating the risk.

I also have been around when raids were conducted. You never saw so many security doors slam shut so quickly. But it is nothing like what i saw in Rome. I was looking at a prada bag for my mom, and the guy kept telllng me that he did not have that much time. Suddenly at about 3PM two guys who were looking at merchandise, spun on their wheels and started heading for the merchants selling bags. These guys scooped their stuff in into blankets and lit out in micro seconds. Really quite impressive. :winkiss:

Last time I was in the Diamond district I found a fleamarket kind of place that was selling some pretty wicked gens.

Tried on a Mille that was bargain priced at 24K. The Kids working the counter were wearing Pateks and APs!!!

Check out Nelly's on 41 West 47th Street booth 13. about 1/3 block east of 6th. they had a pretty nice selection, and you can get the guy to move 400-500 off the tag price.