When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Someone Wanna Tell Me About New York

TJGladeRaider

I am in New York on biz . . . I guess this is Manhattan, but I am at the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas.

If this is really "rep Mecca," someone tell me what I should see while I am here. Of course, if all they have here is a collection of the sorriest garbage on the planet, I'd like to know that too.

Ed, you somewhere round here?

Bill

Just go to Canal street in china town... this is where the junk is they sell to high school tourists. HORRIBLE subs & pams.

If you go to the diamond district (5th and around 50th? Google it for the exact location) you will find some better reps - actually very good. Just look for some of the shadier looking places and walk to the back and ask about watches... They are not as out in the open as canal street but the quality can be better. It is in the bigger centers with stalls, usually in the back stalls. Lots of bling crap to sort through though.

Welcome to Manhattan, Bill!

Not really a rep mecca as far as quality reps are concerned. If you must, most are on Canal Street which is the heart of Chinatown......your hotel is approximately 50 blocks north. You will see many, many booths selling them openly as you stroll on the side walks. I've done the Canal street thing many times and while a fun adventure, the reps we have available are far superior.

If you have time, give me a shout and perhaps we can meet or something.

Welcome to Manhattan, Bill!

Not really a rep mecca as far as quality reps are concerned. If you must, most are on Canal Street which is the heart of Chinatown......your hotel is approximately 50 blocks north. You will see many, many booths selling them openly as you stroll on the side walks. I've done the Canal street thing many times and while a fun adventure, the reps we have available are far superior.

If you have time, give me a shout and perhaps we can meet or something.

I was here on biz, but the biz is done.

I always like to meet the folks I have only talked to online.

I'll PM ya.

Bill

nasty reps on canal street.. actually all the stuff is pretty much junk and aviod the electronics too. :-)

in the jewelery district some of the very best ONE OFF custom made solid gold rollies can be had though. :-)

best bet is to just enjoy the sights, sounds, and food! ! ! enjoy your stay..!

when you are back in your office you can order and rep you want from the trusted (cough) dealers.

I am in New York on biz . . . I guess this is Manhattan, but I am at the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas.

If this is really "rep Mecca," someone tell me what I should see while I am here. Of course, if all they have here is a collection of the sorriest garbage on the planet, I'd like to know that too.

Ed, you somewhere round here?

Bill

Right now I am downtown in the financail district, but I live in midtown west not i think you are on 6th and 57th right? How long you going to be in town... maybe we can meet for a drink or something... i am not free today, but i am good tommorow and thru most of the w/e as g/f is back in chicago till monday. I am just looking to get into trouble.

You might want to try walking thru the diamond district on 46th between 5th and 6th on the north side... there is a shop.. i cannot rememer the name unfortunetly, but they specialize in high end vintage and preowned rolexes. I am also told you can get some pretty good reps around the area as well but i have never tried. There is another vintage watch store on 50th right accross from rockefeller center where i got my rollie.. prices are a bit higher there though probably because of the real estate.

Right now I am downtown in the financail district, but I live in midtown west not i think you are on 6th and 57th right? How long you going to be in town... maybe we can meet for a drink or something... i am not free today, but i am good tommorow and thru most of the w/e as g/f is back in chicago till monday. I am just looking to get into trouble.

You might want to try walking thru the diamond district on 46th between 5th and 6th on the north side... there is a shop.. i cannot rememer the name unfortunetly, but they specialize in high end vintage and preowned rolexes. I am also told you can get some pretty good reps around the area as well but i have never tried. There is another vintage watch store on 50th right accross from rockefeller center where i got my rollie.. prices are a bit higher there though probably because of the real estate.

Very cool Ed . . . see you and Sergio at 6:30.

New York ain't ready for us.

Bill

i was in canal st 2 days ago & the quality of the reps keep gettin low & lower man ! :thumbdown: ..

I was in NYC during last summer and thought the reps on Canal Street couldn't get any lower....appearantly, I was wrong :)

I'm heading up to NYC in April...maybe I'll go visit the Diamond District, but without the wife :)

Bill-

Are you around town tomorrow or heading back?

Hey Kruzer -- I just got back from meeting with Ed & Sergio.

I have to get back tomorrow, but I don't leave NY until later tomorrow evening. I am thinking about scoping out the diamond district, I also want to check out some of the shops that sell gen vintages.

You free?

Bill

The better quality reps are there on canal too...just harder to find. Let them know you want the high grade pieces and that you are willing to pay and after a few trys you'll find the ETA based stuff and some better PAMs, etc. FWIW, it can all be had super cheap too. I got my VC 1755 for $50. They were asking $85. Same rep is 125 from some of our dealers here. Just hand them a fifty, tell them it's all you have, and ignore them cursing you out in Chinese as you walk away with the watch. They'll take the money.

Saw some ETA rSubs for about $180 last time I was there. The further you get from Boradway the easier they are to find. Its always a super fun adventure, and the crap Asian reps can be had for $25-$45 is you stand your ground. They make great learning tools for disassembly, reassebly, hammer smashing and the like. Enjoy! Start at Canal and Broadway (the cab driver will know where) and don't buy anything for less than 60% of what they tell you at first.

I have to get back tomorrow, but I don't leave NY until later tomorrow evening. I am thinking about scoping out the diamond district, I also want to check out some of the shops that sell gen vintages.

You free?

Bill

I'm coming out to NYC on Saturday - I see the weather does not look great - minus 14c on Wednesday!!!!! Guess I'm going to have to take a lot of warm clothing! Just hope the hotel has heating!

You free?

Bill

Check out Nelly's on 41 West 47th Street booth 13. about 1/3 block east of 6th. they had a pretty nice selection, and you can get the guy to move 400-500 off the tag price.

I'm coming out to NYC on Saturday - I see the weather does not look great - minus 14c on Wednesday!!!!! Guess I'm going to have to take a lot of warm clothing! Just hope the hotel has heating!

HI, pm me today if you are interested in an introduction and meeting up for a cocktail or 2. I will not have my computer this w/e, but i will leave my cell.