When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Accurate Are Our Panerai Reps?

V

Well today I have finished my 003 project..

In this topic I will show you the differences between rep Panerai Luminor cases and JimmyFu/gen cases.

Most important difference is that on the reps there is a cutout on the lugs side of the case which is not on jimmys cases

Rep case:

194899-3983.jpg

Jimmy case:

194899-3984.jpg

Second big difference are the lugs... In Jimmys have the correct shape for earlier series Pams (A,B,C etc) while in the reps have the newer series and 201/a shape. less length but more width:

194899-3985.jpg

At the end the tube on Jimmys at the case side is bigger than the one on the reps which means normal rep crowns will not fit unless you trasfer the tube. Homers crown fitted both Jimmys case perfect. I hope this will be the case with Palpatines crown.

194899-3986.jpg

194899-3987.jpg

Finally a comparison between Jimmy's glass and replicas.. Jimmys glass is definately mineral and weights 8gr while reps is saphire and weights 12gr. They have though the same size and they ARE interchangable (i heard somewhere in the past that they were not interchangable). Jimmys looks just a bit thicker and just a tad smaller...

194899-3988.jpg

194899-3989.jpg

Very unique and nice analysis ! What is JimmyFu (?)?? just the name of the gen case ??

Anyway, very well done !

Jimmy FU is a seller on ebay who owns a genuine Pam and did a 1:1 copy of the watch.. A TRUE 1:1 copy of the watch ;)

Nice comparison between the 2 cases. You are right about the lug differences. I had noticed that problem when I got a Davidsen case, I couldn't fit any decent straps onto that watch because they were all too thick. :( I was amazed at the weight differences between the crystals though. :o I didn't expect that much weight differences. Keep up the good and cool work. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

nice v! now to throw into the mix..... davidsen cases???? they also seem to be different

Well to be honest from what i ve heard and experienced with parts Davidsen's cases have their own construction..

They are bigger with bigger glass, different cg and screws, bigger dial hence the only thing interchangable without mods with the 'genuine, jimmys and regular reps' is only the caseback.

I never had a Davidsens watch to be honest for the above reason + the awful font on the dial... (the Amerigo Vespucci though has a very very nice font..)

I think that he does what all the rep manufacturers do.. having 1st 2nd and 3rd versions for people to upgrate ;)

Just my 2 cents on this if I may... :)

Jimmy Fu's case is most likely a copy of a "closed S/S back" genuine Panerai 44mm model from 1997-2002, as more specifically known as "pre-A, A, B, C and D-series" Marina and Base models. They all came with straight body sides between the lugs, without the cutout to accommodate bigger (fatter) straps.

From the E-series to the latest H/I/J Series gen Marina and Base case come with a cutout on the case, with slightly elongated lugs, with lugholes drilled in a different spot. Why they've done that I'm not sure, I don't believe anyone would know buth the original designers of the recent PAM models themselves. Then in 2005 the case design changed again to pre-E series, i.e. without the cutout (H, I and the latest J Series), however they left elongated lugs.

I've handled gen 001C with 'straight' body (no cutout), and 111E with a 'cutout'. I've also seen gen 111H without the cutout.

We all know consistency was never at the top of priority list @ Panerai, and this little case design feature just confirms that, once again :)

Mind boggles.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Jimmy FU is a seller on ebay who owns a genuine Pam and did a 1:1 copy of the watch.. A TRUE 1:1 copy of the watch ;)

I think someone needs to tear down their genuine 112 and get a 1:1 copy made for all of us :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well I couldn't have said it better myself..

To be honest my projects are B series watches that's why the more accurate cases.

Just my 2 cents on this if I may... :)

Jimmy Fu's case is most likely a copy of a "closed S/S back" genuine Panerai 44mm model from 1997-2002, as more specifically known as "pre-A, A, B, C and D-series" Marina and Base models. They all came with straight body sides between the lugs, without the cutout to accommodate bigger (fatter) straps.

From the E-series to the latest H/I/J Series gen Marina and Base case come with a cutout on the case, with slightly elongated lugs, with lugholes drilled in a different spot. Why they've done that I'm not sure, I don't believe anyone would know buth the original designers of the recent PAM models themselves. Then in 2005 the case design changed again to pre-E series, i.e. without the cutout (H, I and the latest J Series), however they left elongated lugs.

I've handled gen 001C with 'straight' body (no cutout), and 111E with a 'cutout'. I've also seen gen 111H without the cutout.

We all know consistency was never at the top of priority list @ Panerai, and this little case design feature just confirms that, once again :)

Mind boggles.

cheers,

babola

Finally a comparison between Jimmy's glass and replicas.. Jimmys glass is definately mineral and weights 8gr while reps is saphire and weights 12gr. They have though the same size and they ARE interchangable (i heard somewhere in the past that they were not interchangable). Jimmys looks just a bit thicker...

Interesting comparison V... too bad Jimmy is not selling all of his OEM parts anymore. I can definitely confirm the interchangability of the crystals as I bought a crystal from Jimmy and installed it in my rep 111h ... (picture in the tuesday wristcheck)....

Interesting comparison V... too bad Jimmy is not selling all of his OEM parts anymore. I can definitely confirm the interchangability of the crystals as I bought a crystal from Jimmy and installed it in my rep 111h ... (picture in the tuesday wristcheck)....

I found out that jimys crystals are just just a tad smaller than the rep crystals... which makes them interchangable BUT...

puting a rep crystal to a jimmy case can be done (with a bit more force thn usual) and be extra tight.

puting a jimmy crystal on a rep case is fitting very easily just using the thumbs which makes me wonder about the waterproofing...

I found out that jimys crystals are just just a tad smaller than the rep crystals... which makes them interchangable BUT...

puting a rep crystal to a jimmy case can be done (with a bit more force thn usual) and be extra tight.

puting a jimmy crystal on a rep case is fitting very easily just using the thumbs which makes me wonder about the waterproofing...

different experience here.... I needed a crystal press to do the work... not a chance in the woirld with my thumbs (and I'm a big guy) ... I don't know about the origin of my 111h as I bought it on Ioffer. It was a cheap version with an undecorated CN6497 though.

Waterproofing... I have a Bergeon but never cared to test the 111 as it's constantly on a leather strap anyhow. I have several diver's watches to choose from if I feel the urge to get wet...

different experience here.... I needed a crystal press to do the work... not a chance in the woirld with my thumbs (and I'm a big guy) ... I don't know about the origin of my 111h as I bought it on Ioffer. It was a cheap version with an undecorated CN6497 though.

Waterproofing... I have a Bergeon but never cared to test the 111 as it's constantly on a leather strap anyhow. I have several diver's watches to choose from if I feel the urge to get wet...

Probably different rep cases.. for example Davidsen's case is much bigger than jimmys and reps..

I guess there will be many different factories making Panerai cases so there will be a difference.

For those who have early PAM's and want to upgrade do it now. Once Jimmy rubs there will be no more. :)

What can I say.. people do mind for a datewheel or a cyclops of their 27,28,29,63 and not for the case...

Strange people the rep collectors ;)

P.S. Cases are now sold out.. I got the last 2 I guess :)