When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Bss From Puretime, Nicely Done Added Water Pressure Test, Now!

rbj69

Well i got my two BSS watches today , i ordered the white and blue cause i couldnt decide which i liked best, and still cant , lol the white is actually a silvery white color and is very nice looking, and the blue is a pretty deep blue but the ar coating makes it bright blue in different lighting

right now im wearing the blue one and it will probably be my choice cause i dont have many blues and my madison said daddy i like the black one, lmao and i tried to convince here it is blue but she still called it black , lol

ok first thing first, it feels like it is built like a tank, the braclet is nice but needs a good polishing , not quite as nicely done as the BCE but only because it is not polished finish like the BCE , also they put those cheap [censored] pins in it to hold the braclet ,so it sounds like some change jingling in your pocket , lol i installed thicker pins and it is nice and snug now , lol detaill people details , lol the engraving is nicely done but they went a hair deep on the letter g but no biggie really , i guess they got carried away with the engraver , lol

it appears the pearl is a little more greener tinted than the markers r but i still dont think it is up to SL specs. and the markers seem to have a textured finish on them , i guess i need to get the lume out , lol (also on the blue dial it appears they made the lume a bit wider on the right side markers than they did on the left side ones, lol but again i know i was reluming this baby) the white one is more uniformed , they must have used a newbie to lume the blue one , lmao

the dial is nicely finished and looks very sweet , the datewindow silver outline seems to be pretty correct, some said it looked bigger in the pics than gen. but i dont think it does (pics can be decieving sometimes, lol)

the bezel is done up nicely but havent figured out yet how to remove it (in gen. u just unscreww all the little screws around it and pull it off but it doesnt seem to be the case on this one, bummer, seems like it would be easier doing it the way gen. does) but appearance is nicely engraved and pretty much spot on and turns nicely as well

caseback is awesome looking, the sides r nicely done , overall for me it would be stupid to buy the gen. for 2 grand when u can get this one for under 500 bucks with basically the same movment (not hardly any difference to me) other than the few little things

i usually tend to only buy a rep that at least cost 3 grand or more but i guess this one caught my eye and now im glad it did

also the ar coating is nice but i dont think it is double sided or it could be the crystal is so thick u cant see it as good , but in the light u see it just like my BCE (but defintiely better than most of our reps)

now here r some pics of it for u

the first one shows the ar coating blocking out the outside shine

199730-1907.jpg

199730-1908.jpg

199730-1909.jpg

199730-1910.jpg

ar shot on the blue

199730-1911.jpg

sideview for the blue on the wrist

199730-1912.jpg

199730-1913.jpg

white dial

199730-1914.jpg

199730-1915.jpg

so u can see the lines in the dial r good

199730-1916.jpg

side view shots for u (sry bout the fingerprints )

199730-1917.jpg

199730-1918.jpg

caseback engravings nicely done

199730-1919.jpg

clasp engraving with the deep letter G , lol

199730-1920.jpg

some lume shots (sry the pics didnt come out that great it is actually better than the pics show)

199730-1921.jpg

199730-1922.jpg

i hope u enjoyed my pics and i hope this helps many with there questions about the watch

joe

Great review Joe ! I would have loved to pull the trigger on this watch, but my wfe bought the the Gen with the Ivory dial for X-Mas back a few months. Only had she waited, could have saved some $$$$$, but oh well, can't hurt to have some gens in the collection. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But I will pull the trigger on the Chrono Ultimate - just can't decide between the gray or graphite dial (don't need another white dial watch).

lets see if i can answer all the questions in one thread for u guys , and your welcome for the write up

the case sides , yes the points need rounding more to be more like gen. and the HE valve looks pretty darn close , i will show u soon after i do a few minor flaw fixes on it

it is 44 mm in diameter, pretty much spot on

it weighs roughly 220 grams (nice and heavy)

the blue is pretty much spot on (the ar makes it lite up in certain angles a realy treat)

date ouline is the same on white and blue

needs lume on the tachymetre ring at 12,3,6,9 (should glow on those little indices but doesnt , but it will soon, lol)

yes i expect they used a cheap thin wire to install the bezel instead of the thicker one like breitling uses

yes im happy to have paid a little more for it now , cause i have it on my wrist now , lol (and the quality and heft of this piece is cost effective to me personally)

be on the look out soon i will blow it up in my watertester , lol

hope that i helped u in your questions, if not keep them coming , u know i love talking watch

joe

Joe-

I did notice any difference between the rep and the gen. Below is a pic of the gen Steelfish. Look at the 6,9 and 12 between the rep and gen. You will see the numbers on the reps are a bit off compared to the ones on the gen....unless it's your pics :bleh:

200351-1805.jpg

Joe-

I did notice any difference between the rep and the gen. Below is a pic of the gen Steelfish. Look at the 6,9 and 12 between the rep and gen. You will see the numbers on the reps are a bit off compared to the ones on the gen....unless it's your pics :bleh:

200403-1796.jpg

probably my pics , lmao :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well as u know angus asked me to pressure it up so i did various ways and i did it standard and then i left it under pressure for longer than standard and still i couldnt blow the crystal off or the crown out or the caseback loose, so i say lets go diving , lol

disclaimer: all i can tell u is how this particular watch in the pics handled the pressure , so dont come crying to me if u sink yours, lmao

also when people send me watches to do this job i normally only go half way , cause most will never go over 10 feet of water , lol

ok here goes , first i pumped it up to 3atm which is more than enough for the average swim guy and the results no bubbles around the crystal or the caseback or the crown

i placed watch in the container

200403-1797.jpg

i pumped it up to 3atm which is standard practice (also letting it sit there and be scared for a little while) and is plenty for most people

200403-1798.jpg

and now i lowered in the cold depths of the ocean, lmao

200403-1799.jpg

then i slowly released teh pressure gauge, at this point u look for bubbles , usually u will see bubbles escape tthe bezel and the bracelet pin and sometime underneath the crown and they look a bit different than a leak bubble , its a zen thing, lol

anyway it passed with flying colors , then i did that same test again , same results

now i said to myself angus would want me to blow this thing up , so i tried and here r the results

same thing i suspeneded it and pumped it up till i couldnt pump it no more, i almost turned the whole machine over pumping so hard, lmao it gets really tight when u go full blast , the only other watch that i had tried this with was a mbw drsd and it did fine as well

200403-1800.jpg

then i waited ample time and then i lowered the boom , and i was seriosly expecting it to make me jump , cause i thought for sure that crystal was going to pop off really hard, usually that is what happens when a watch is weak in a area, i remember the first time i just bout peepeed in my pants , cause u dont expect it the first time, u r looking really close and hard for bubbles and then boom the crystal come flying at u and it scares u senseless and then u laugh and hury to get it out of there and salvage it , lmao

anyway here it is under 6at doing just fine and saying give me some more u cruel person, lmao

200403-1801.jpg

then i did it again and same results , hope u enjoyed it as much as i did , kudos to Angus for providing us with such a workhorse of a watch

joe

• 2 years later...