When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

! Rwg Under Paypal's Scrutiny !

narikaa

That's a good point--no moneybookers, no PP.

I would have no problem using WU with any trusted dealer as long as an agreement on price could be reached. It seems to me that since most dealers' currencies are pretty strong against the dollar I bet for the time being there are dealers who would be williing to pick up 2/3 of the WU hit to service the US market. Heck even paul picks up half. Adding 4% sucks for american buyers, but you know we got to get our fix.

As far as the CC goes...count me out. It's a long story but someone managed to nab my CC through whatever protections PP uses and make a copy of it. Got a call from Visa that it was being used in the far east. Thing was this: since that card was a freebee froma club my wife joined w/ a low limit and shitty interest rate, she was going to rip it up, but since it had built in free protection, I decided to link it to the PP account I use for reps and rep parts only. Coincidence? Was the security breach somewhere else along the CC company chain? Maybe, but no more CC or PP with anyone I don't trust implicitly.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the CC goes...count me out. It's a long story but someone managed to nab my CC through whatever protections PP uses and make a copy of it. Got a call from Visa that it was being used in the far east. Thing was this: since that card was a freebee froma club my wife joined w/ a low limit and shitty interest rate, she was going to rip it up, but since it had built in free protection, I decided to link it to the PP account I use for reps and rep parts only. Coincidence? Was the security breach somewhere else along the CC company chain? Maybe, but no more CC or PP with anyone I don't trust implicitly.

Who can you trust though...? My physical (chip & pin) Visa card was cloned by a petrol station in North London. I don't know which one, but since I only ever used that card for petrol that I was going to claim via expenses, I could narrow it down to 3 stations. A friend had his card cloned using an ATM around the corner from his house (also in London). You have to keep the limit low, keep a close eye on your statement and your finger on the panic button with CCs in 2007.

I just noticed that one dealer is going directly to secured credit card processor. That is fabulous. And don't ask who on this forum. "They" are out to get us. :lol: Actually, it is not funny. May PP rot in hell.

Like I said over on TRC, nothing fills me full of confidence more than handing my credit card details over to a counterfeiter. :blink:

No guts no glory. In this country you are at risk for $50.00. Having said that it is a hassle. By the way, I never use any ATM other than one of the two or three major banks here. If any viable service requires substantial fee it will change my purchasing habits - more than one at a time to amortize the cost.

paypal told me that i should don´t use his name (or logo) on a rep site or for transactions with counterfei products

i have never sold counterfei products... also my movements and parts are 100% genuine???

i think paypal has send this genrally email to all dealers here on RWG, because we have all use the term paypal in our description.

we should don´t use the term paypal in our forum- paypal search to his term.

i am not afraid for paypal or authorities... but it is a very bad issue for me. I sell mostly outside from RWG. RWG is only for fun and not my chief business. I need this paypal account for my other clients out of RWG and can´t risk to blocking my account.

For others dealer like PT or Narikaa it is a bigger problem. Rep forums are his chief business and i hope the best for you.

I agree with TTK, that the Rep dealers should move to other payment methods. Paypal will make you live hard

Hi Narikaa

i get same info and email from paypal

and i have never sold counterfeis or replicas???

RWG is under paypal monitoring :black_eye:

strange is... that i use a totaly different email adress for paypal and here. Where paypal know so much about us?

maybe they can read all our messages and emails?

what a painful story

BTW, PT has also end all his listings here on RWG??? May he has the same email from paypal

I'm very sure there are some asshat-lurkers here telling on us... :blowup::angry2:

I guess it was inevitable. :( My question for non-U.S. dealers (virtually all) is whether it is possible to have a U.S. bank account or an account with a bank with U.S. affiliate. Domestic wire transfers can be done on-line. International wire transfers often require a visit to the bank and $20 even for larger bank customers. The downside for consumers is that there is no appeal process if you don't like what you get from the dealer. Then again I always thought the Paypal appeal process was ludicrous. Otherwise customers and dealers will have to factor in the costs of whatever the method is that is safe. By the way what is that process? Western Union?

$20.00 Bank fee applies to domestic as well as international wire transfers, at least at Chase it does. The only benefit to dealer's opening US based accounts would be in terms of FX conversion rates to the buyers, although the dealers might get hosed whe THEY convert to their local currency.

Looks to me like the squeeze is on. 2 of a smaller dealers have now exited the business. PP issues are plaguing at least 3 others, and our 2 largest dealers seem to be moving toward some kind of partnership. Less supply side competition cannot be good for consumer leverage.

On a more positive note, I agree with TTK, the PP issues are more perception than reality except for bank fees which we are just going to have to suck up. But overall the trend is not good.

(Crossposted to RWG)

Another thing that has bothered me since the day one is the free Google availability (and very high search ranking) of both of these forums (RWG and RWI). It attracts idiots and lots of unwanted parties. I sound like a broken record but we should be more like an "underground" community. Some people still don't fully realize that this hobby is illegal.

Perhaps removing ourselves from the Google would cut the customer base for the dealers... but in the long run it would affect positively I'm sure. I don't know how it can be done to prevent the site showing from Google, but I've heard it's possible. We can't really afford these sites becoming "mainstream" if you catch my drift... If we do, I'm sure all these problems are just the beginning. That's why I have mixed feelings about (very nice) public documentation of reps like Richard Brown's stuff. High Google ranking -> direct links to dealers at RWI, TRC and RWG -> bad for the community (imho).

Of course I understand that these sites have originally been created to prevent people from getting scammed by places like Replicacenter (and high Google ranking helps them to find us), but at some point we (the dealers and regular members) have to start thinking more of ourselves. Yes, it's selfish and cynical but it's a selfish and cynical world.

PS: Glad you're back Reg. ;)

(Crossposted to RWG)

Another thing that has bothered me since the day one is the free Google availability (and very high search ranking) of both of these forums (RWG and RWI). It attracts idiots and lots of unwanted parties. I sound like a broken record but we should be more like an "underground" community. Some people still don't fully realize that this hobby is illegal.

Perhaps removing ourselves from the Google would cut the customer base for the dealers... but in the long run it would affect positively I'm sure. I don't know how it can be done to prevent the site showing from Google, but I've heard it's possible. We can't really afford these sites becoming "mainstream" if you catch my drift... If we do, I'm sure all these problems are just the beginning. That's why I have mixed feelings about (very nice) public documentation of reps like Richard Brown's stuff. High Google ranking -> direct links to dealers at RWI, TRC and RWG -> bad for the community (imho).

Of course I understand that these sites have originally been created to prevent people from getting scammed by places like Replicacenter (and high Google ranking helps them to find us), but at some point we (the dealers and regular members) have to start thinking more of ourselves. Yes, it's selfish and cynical but it's a selfish and cynical world.

Amen to that, dude.

(Crossposted to RWG)

Agree about the googling, quite often a basic search like "IWC GST" or "Panerai Arktos" ends up having more entries from RWG/TRC in the page than legit sites. Apart from making searching for gen comparison pics harder :) this is really shouting about reps from the rooftops for the gen community.

Just realised that by including the names of the watches above I have probably increased our chances of this thread being hit in a google search... :bangin:

belive me pp isn´t realy interested about us and our activity

pp makes a lot of money with our transactions... approx 4% fees each transaction and extra 2-3% for translation rate, also very bad dollar price.

plenty of money. Why should pp let go this money?

i think pp do this step, because pressure from authorities or watch brands

@Tourby......wrong PP are very interested............PP are owned by Ebay....and Ebay have signed up to the VERO program......the scrutiny via PP is simply an extension of the house cleaning that Ebay are constantly carrying out.......!

Allied to that...Ebay are currently fighting on several fronts.......litigation regarding IP theft......!

I humbly subscribe the posts by By-Thor, tourb and TTK.

And also anyone who said 'who cares'?

Do PP/eBay/Echelon/TheBigBrother/Palladium/VERO/Etc really think to stop us this way?

Let's simply move to MB or whatever and let's PP reflect on whether they got more money from us or from the VERO program.

WB, Reg!

I strongly recommend the website institute a phrase blocker to change the term "Paypal" to "PenPal" or something similar every time it appears. The word has frequently come up here and is clearly scanned for by officials. Let's do what R*lex did to Rolex.

I am looking forward to purchasing from you Narikaa but penpal is my only method of payment. Please get your listings up quick before they shut you down :( .

I strongly recommend the website institute a phrase blocker to change the term "Paypal" to "PenPal" or something similar every time it appears. The word has frequently come up here and is clearly scanned for by officials. Let's do what R*lex did to Rolex.

The barbarians aren't at the gate.......they're thru' it now.......!

Let's do what R*lex did to Rolex.

I'm confused. What did R*lex do to Rolex?

The only people that misspell it r*lex, R0l3x, ralex, etc., are people deluded into thinking that those who search for replica sites are stupid. Google r0lex (with a zero) for instance and you get nothing but replica sites. It's actually a bad way to spell Rolex because it gets you in all the wrong search patterns, whereas if you spell it right, you're on page bagamazillion behind all the legit sites.

These people aren't stupid. Assuming they are is a sure-fire way to get yourself into a lot of trouble. Remember, assumption makes an ass out of u and some guy named umption.