When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bangkok

butterfly777

I have a friend in Bangkok who can go there and buy me a watch.. but what's so special about them to ask him a favour?

I have no idea about Rolex and I don;t see any difference than the normal ETA versions.. Is the best part that they accept genuine stuff?

Can someone enlighten us Panerai freaks? :p

Quoting myself.... i have to say that all this hype and no one is able to tell us what's so special about those watches..

Probably the exclusivity? :p

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting myself.... i have to say that all this hype and no one is able to tell us what's so special about those watches..

Sure, they're exclusive, but they're also the best base for a vintage rolex project that we have. Well worth the money if you have a bit more to finish them off.

if you want a vintage and your going to do it right - then you got to have an MBW

also - i think if your a long term collector - you should have 1 in the collection just because its the most infamous Rep there is :) you still have to 'know someone" to get one unless this group buy works :)

:)

My take is that MBW's look nly marginally better out of the box than their "standard" counterparts, but if you try to make a modded standard rep look as good as a modded MBW, you'll spend a good bit more than the original price difference since, as Pug pointed out, MBW's readily accept OEM parts. Are they worth it? V, imagine you could get OEM Panerai parts as easily as you can get OEM rolex parts. Now imagine one PAM rep costs $150 and won't take OEM parts, while a $350 PAM rep can takes OEM parts easily. Would you spend the extra $200? I know I would...

Now that the MBW mystery has been cracked , I bet we'll see a small price drop if the numbers available rise as RWG travellers bring them back to sell, but not much. Unless the boss is paying the flight halfway around the world, it wold still cost most of us a couple grand to get a MBW even if we had real time GPS coordinates of that lady's big ol' butt.

Now that the MBW mystery has been cracked , I bet we'll see a small price drop if the numbers available rise as RWG travellers bring them back to sell, but not much.

I was considering the price I would sell mine for and I came to the conclusion that if I were to sell one, it'd be for over the group buy price. Why? Because I don't really want to sell one and that's what they're worth already imported and tested. Now, they're not for sale, so I know I'll be safe from threadcrappers telling me how much I paid for them and how I owe it to the community to not profiteer, but if they were, I'd see no point in discounting them when someone would happily pay what I asked. :D

I can't see a price drop lasting, unless TTK's Group Buy becomes a regular thing, at which point modded MBWs become the must-have for those unwilling to mod them and the base price for an unmodded will be $350 or less, but never much less.

Now let's consider this.

You take a flight from wherever you are in the world. Wait 2hrs before you take off and in the meanwhile do some duty free shopping. Board your flight and fly god knows how many hours to the city of angels(and MBWs). Guess what...I forgot to mention you have to take a taxi from your place to the airport. Sorry guys...ok let's continue. You land on Suvarnabhumi Airport. Grab a cab and hope you aren't cheated by the taxi guy of $10 extra for you trip to the hotel. Get off the cab and check in to your hotel room. Tip the guy who carried your bag up the room. Take a quick shower and change to some comfortable clothes and walk to the BTS. Figure out how the hell to get to MBK by using hand signals to some counter assistant who speaks minimal english. Arrive at MBK. Proceed to find KFC(i'm using the directions that were listed on the forum)...and then the store that is diagonally facing COL Sanders...

Finally after 12hrs of travel(in my case), you find the holy grail of vintage rollie reps. You proceed to ask the guy who earns less than $1000, manning the shop, asking him for 2 DRSD, 4 Great whiteS, 2 AP ROO Themes edition and maybe if he has a cartier for the missus. He says come back within 3 days. Here's the interesting part...He asks a 5000 baht deposit. You think it is too high a deposit. He says take it or leave it. You bargin it down to $3000 for the deposit. That leaves you $2000 to get some Polo Ralph and Levis knock-offs. Grab your dinner and head on down to Soi Cowboy for some night action. Not before you buy a couple of condoms for luck. You screw throughout the night with some tall busty lady who might just have had gone thru an op....and was once a.........guy!

3 days are over...you did alot of damage to your pocket and maybe to your body due to the Mekong liquor and perhaps to the shagging...

You collect them watches and guess what your sea-dweller has got a cyclops and your sub has got none! He says come back in an hour...so you examine your seconds at 9 MBW AP ROO themes edition(what a sucker when it should be seconds at 12) and the cartier you bought for your missus. You grab a quick bite and do some last minute shopping for the kids...

You're back at MBW land where he hands you the remaining. Crystal's good...magnification's even better...you tell yourself, I'm gonna be rich selling these on the *bay or Member trade section...

You grab the cab and head for the airport. Wait another 2hrs before the flight takes off. You do some duty free shopping in the meanwhile and grab a dirt cheap Cohiba boxset that would cost double where you're from...

Board your flight...fly for another couple of hours and arrive home safe home...not so safe. You're only at the airport waiting to clear the security and customs. There in your pockets are a couple of hooky rolexes(MBW yeah!) and the beast of a watch, the AP ROO Themes edition...with your lady's cartier that you got for 7000 baht. Customs ask you why on earth you have them MBW's in your pockets and your suitcase. You now look incredibly foolish as your pants are falling due to the weight of the watches you have. You pass him a great white...and tell him to let you go. He says, "Yay! I got an MBW for free...Thank goodness I'm not one of those office folks posting in RWG; selling them reps! What a great job I have..."

There you have it folks! The week in the life of a RWG member who went to bangkok in search of puSSy and hooky rollies...

All he had to do was PM TTK, "069"(pun unintended)... and within he would have got the <insert some watch> for $350...hassle free(HIV free)...

:lol: So you've been before......:lol:

Next time....e-mail me and we can meet for a beer....:D

BTW.....for everybody else who is considering the group buy......ole TTK ain't seeing a flurry of activity......and is getting cold on the whole notion......sorry guys.....!

:lol: So you've been before......:lol:

Next time....e-mail me and we can meet for a beer....:D

BTW.....for everybody else who is considering the group buy......ole TTK ain't seeing a flurry of activity......and is getting cold on the whole notion......sorry guys.....!

Nah I didn't know about the whole MBW thingy until it started on the forums. I went to bangkok many years ago...and if I knew about reps then and visited this board, I'd just get them MBWs...there and then. I went there once and I guess it was enough...saw my share of bangkok. Now I wanna make a trip to China and visit some of our dealers...have some english tea and shortbread cookies with them! :)

There's nothing much in bangkok except booze and sex(and MBWs yeah!)...guys. Just order thru TTK and kiss your kids goodnight. It's all worth it in the end.

@dadog13: Thanks...just read thru the bangkok MBW threads and since I had time to kill...why not write a fictional about the place ;)

@TTK: maybe in a couple of years down the road...hope you're still there. Go easy on the Mekong... :p

for the uninitiated... pls visit www.bangkokbob.net before you book your tickets to get your MBWs :)

Any chance for an Offshore group buy? Is it possible to also help me get a Nautilus Jumbo PR rep? I've been craving these two reps for a VERY long time...

Lord knows I'd never tell Neil how to run his shop, but I do know if Maria would be ameneable to including the AP's and Pateks in the group buy, I'd send payment for the Patek and a white Sea Dweller immediately, "cash in an evelope" even, and judging by the number of people drooling over the ROO but balking @ the other dealers' prices, I'd bet that more than a few of those would be sold too. Anyone else wiling to buy 2 MBW's @ group buy prices?

Everything is available that is available at MBK..........AP....PP......OMEGA.....ROLEX....OLD AND NEW......!

Now that is something :victory: . I am sure many were not aware of that, and actually I think many more will join if they are aware of this (see the Patek post from WM as an example).