When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do Automatic Movements Die Eventually?

finisterre

I've got an approx 10 year old kinetic Seiko. When fully charged it should keep going for up to a week I think.

But when it's off my wrist it seems to stop in about 36 hours.

Do these movements lose their ability to hold a charge after a while. Do the capacitors get knackered or something?

Cheers.

I thought Rolex was the first to do this with their Oysterquartz?

I love that Oysterquartz... it is the epidomy of 80s "futuristic" design. A complete rebellion against the roundness of architecture and design preceeding its time... with many straight lines and a razor sharp looking case, the watch is nothing but a definitive fashion symbol representative of that wonderful decade.

205292-618.jpg

I've got an approx 10 year old kinetic Seiko. When fully charged it should keep going for up to a week I think.

But when it's off my wrist it seems to stop in about 36 hours.

Do these movements lose their ability to hold a charge after a while. Do the capacitors get knackered or something?

Cheers.

Short answer...yes the capacitors die ater a while...but they are replaceable at a semi reasonable cost. Here's a link.

http://www.qualitywatchrepair.com/seiko_ki...CFRSJgQodqmXofA

• 2 weeks later...
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

epitome: typical of or possessing to a high degree the features of a whole class (synonym: embodiment, model, quintessence). Often mistaken to mean the ultimate or best ... which is what I thought it meant :whistling: Dictionaries rule.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my watch. Prepare to die .....