When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This Is Off Topic! Laundry.. Need A New Machine!

Everythingape

Well then!

We seem to discuss just about anything here, so since I have some doubts, I'm asking you guys.

I have no doubt some of you have researched washing machines thoroughly at some point.

I've searched the net, and checked out the local shops today, and to my surprise they have huge stocks and a variety of models to choose from. They all push the usual seller BS though..

So..

What washing machine should I buy?

Criteria:

Well known and tried brand.

Frontloader (cause it'll be in a stack set-up.)

Silent

At least 1400rpm spin cycle

Needs to take 5-6 kgs of laundry

Easy to operate (for me)

Child-secure (some kind of [censored]-lock)

Price: Just about any, as long as it's worth it. (I wont be cheap with this one)

My old machine went to the shits 2 days ago, I have changed the bearing it it once, and I wont bother again, it was a lot of work, and it's a cheap 7 year old Ariston.

-TG-

Buy any high end front loader. Be sure to get the optional stand. If you have gas then get a gas dryer to match. There are some excellent units out there, but, they're costly. Most very good ones cost 1000USD "each." They use very little water, and if you gas the dryer is cheap to run. If you only have elec then it's still cheaper to operate. You will NOT regret buying them. We've had ours for 5 years now and the work like a charm, but, there are better ones out there now than what we have. Tim

Well then!

We seem to discuss just about anything here, so since I have some doubts, I'm asking you guys.

I have no doubt some of you have researched washing machines thoroughly at some point.

I've searched the net, and checked out the local shops today, and to my surprise they have huge stocks and a variety of models to choose from. They all push the usual seller BS though..

So..

What washing machine should I buy?

Criteria:

Well known and tried brand.

Frontloader (cause it'll be in a stack set-up.)

Silent

At least 1400rpm spin cycle

Needs to take 5-6 kgs of laundry

Easy to operate (for me)

Child-secure (some kind of [censored]-lock)

Price: Just about any, as long as it's worth it. (I wont be cheap with this one)

My old machine went to the shits 2 days ago, I have changed the bearing it it once, and I wont bother again, it was a lot of work, and it's a cheap 7 year old Ariston.

-TG-

Thanks Tim!

We don't use gas here in norway, only restaurants and places like that. So it's all electrical..

I decided to go for the Miele W 2888 Navitronic. Original price was higher than I wanted to go for; $2750, but being a friend, the seller cut me a good price if I decided quick, as they have had it on the showroom floor for a while.. Not many people go for the high-end washing machines. ..I'll be disappointed if this don't last a while!

It's cooler than I thought! Huge LCD and lots of settings.. It's like a gadget for laundry! ;)

They deliver it in a few hours, heavy thing at 100kgs!

Fuzzy logic!!

I have seen that machine and it's excellent. Good choice. You'll be amazed how much more quickly the laundry gets done. Very fast, very efficent. One thing you need to remember is electricity will make a shirt bone dry. If you can remember, pull it out when it's about 90-95% dry and put it on an hanger to dry the rest of the way. However, yours may have a "mist" injector in it and that would mean you could by-pass what I just said.

Good luck, great machines. Tim

Thanks Tim!

We don't use gas here in norway, only restaurants and places like that. So it's all electrical..

I decided to go for the Miele W 2888 Navitronic. Original price was higher than I wanted to go for; $2750, but being a friend, the seller cut me a good price if I decided quick, as they have had it on the showroom floor for a while.. Not many people go for the high-end washing machines. ..I'll be disappointed if this don't last a while!

It's cooler than I thought! Huge LCD and lots of settings.. It's like a gadget for laundry! ;)

They deliver it in a few hours, heavy thing at 100kgs!

Fuzzy logic!!

Thanks Tim!

I know exactly what you mean with the bone dry!

And I don't know how many pairs of jeans I have bought at 34" inseam, only to wash it once and it's that annoying 1/2" too short after.

36" is an inch too long, and 34" is one too short..

I hang most of my "delicates" though, I hate shrunk up clothes.

I mostly use the dryer for socks and towels..

And I use a professional service for my suits and finer shirts. Saves me ironing and such.. (Not that I suit up that often)

I'll have to try this machine for its silk program though! :)