When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

VC Malte Tourbillon Tonneau

lefty47

What's the general opinion of the VC Malte Tourbillon Tonneau that is sold by Andrew, Joshua, Neil, Paul and River for about $950? Does anyone out there own one of these? I think it is a real beauty and very unique. I have over 30 reps and nothing like this. Is it worth the price? Is any rep worth a Grand? I would appreciate your input.

post-800-1173214476_thumb.jpg

Agreed it's a beautiful watch but as Richard has just pointed out so is the Brequet and a fair bit cheaper too.

Ken

The Breguet is nice, but there is something about the VC Malte Tourbillon and Power Reserve, plus the Tonneau shape. I am smitten, but I don't know if I can afford to take the plunge.

You wouldn't be the first or the only buyer to purchase an $800+ dollar rep. There were members long before you shelling out this kind of money (and still are) for Swiss 7750 chrono Daytonae. I know for a fact that Joshua has moved a couple of the skeleton tourbillions - including the epic $988 Breguet!

Replicas are getting more and more common these days, and I'm afraid the only way to show off money will soon have to be buying elaborate versions of them. This is, I'm not going to lie, one of the most beautiful and functionally most useful watches I have ever seen. Not only is it one of the few tourbillions, but it is among the fewest of the few with a working power reserve (always useful) and a date-calendar with easy push button setting. The skeletonised caseback is also an intriguing addition helping to show off the expensive movement inside.

The little viewhole in the front will display the breathtaking mix of nature and machine as the tourbillion pivots around while spinning - it will be a sight to behold. I strongly recommend you get this watch; it is something I would get instantly if I was in your position. You can get an infinite number of Rolex replicas etc... but none will compare to the overall 'presence' of a piece like this. This is something that a watch lover could stare at for years... its beauty is far more elaborate than those pictures make it out to seem.

If you can afford it, this is a great watch to buy. Some members will bring forth the argument that 'you could have 10 $98' watches for that price... and while this is true, none of those will ever come close to the 'WOW' factor of this beautiful vacheron.

I hope that one day I'll own one, too...

Jesus....never, never, never.

Yes the center post tourbi's are aparently a later generation tourbi so their reliability might be somewhat more dependable than the carousel tourbi but to spend a thousand dollars, or more for the center post models (both are true tourbis by the way)from a dealer in the black is just foolish. I guess we all have to feed our addictions in a variety of ways, but shelling out this kind of cash just to have a tourbillon watch ....just couldn't do it.

Repair on these is somewhat dicey....replacement parts...where are you going to get them? I would take the $900 and get three out of sight reps or perhaps....a genuine....dare I say.

I know addingwatch is sort of our local devotee of these replicas.....he's also apparently rich!

You wouldn't be the first or the only buyer to purchase an $800+ dollar rep. There were members long before you shelling out this kind of money (and still are) for Swiss 7750 chrono Daytonae. I know for a fact that Joshua has moved a couple of the skeleton tourbillions - including the epic $988 Breguet!

Replicas are getting more and more common these days, and I'm afraid the only way to show off money will soon have to be buying elaborate versions of them. This is, I'm not going to lie, one of the most beautiful and functionally most useful watches I have ever seen. Not only is it one of the few tourbillions, but it is among the fewest of the few with a working power reserve (always useful) and a date-calendar with easy push button setting. The skeletonised caseback is also an intriguing addition helping to show off the expensive movement inside.

The little viewhole in the front will display the breathtaking mix of nature and machine as the tourbillion pivots around while spinning - it will be a sight to behold. I strongly recommend you get this watch; it is something I would get instantly if I was in your position. You can get an infinite number of Rolex replicas etc... but none will compare to the overall 'presence' of a piece like this. This is something that a watch lover could stare at for years... its beauty is far more elaborate than those pictures make it out to seem.

If you can afford it, this is a great watch to buy. Some members will bring forth the argument that 'you could have 10 $98' watches for that price... and while this is true, none of those will ever come close to the 'WOW' factor of this beautiful vacheron.

I hope that one day I'll own one, too...

You have put my feelings into words better than I could do. I already have several $100-200-300 reps and will undoubtedly obtain more. I just love looking at them. But I think this VC will be a watch that I will wear and stare at for many years to come. Now, all I have to do is get the money. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all of your input. Keep it comiong.

You have put my feelings into words better than I could do. I already have several $100-200-300 reps and will undoubtedly obtain more. I just love looking at them. But I think this VC will be a watch that I will wear and stare at for many years to come. Now, all I have to do is get the money. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all of your input. Keep it comiong.

Let me say if I came off a bit flip in my earlier post I apologize. I was just referring to the seriousness of the decision you have to make.

If this is something you know you will love - then by all means have at it.

Corgi has a good point. You could have 10 reps and be content or 1 and be thrilled. I hope you experience the latter.

good luck

It is a stunning watch, but I would never spend that much on a rep. For a grand i'd much rather save a bit more and get a gen - or a couple of "regular priced" reps.

Actually right now an extra thousand dollars would go into my car :o

Narikaa has hit it on the head......there's a diiference between how money is valued between British / Europeans and Americans.....$1000 is a lot of money to your average American....especially so when you compare travel costs etc ect......low $$$ for travelling by plane in America.....higher prices in EU......equates to differibg perceptions......go down to any high quality shopping mall.....and look at your 'average' jewellery store.......they'll have Seiko / Tissot / Armani / Fortis et al for around the 250.00 to 450.00 GBP mark......$1000 isn't really a lot of money when it comes to a tourbillon..!

Where it does become a problem...is when a problem arises......your average watchsmith will more likely have eaten a turbot.....than seen a tourbillon......parts are the problem....as is servicing......the moral is......if you can't afford to chuck away $1000 when it goes Pete Tong.....then perhaps something else on the menu.

I have access to these......but unlike Josh etc etc.....I'm not prepared to take the risk if it goes wonky......all it takes is a couple of those that need replacing and suddenly you're eating rice with no fish tonight.....!

Here's some pics of the very thing.....!

212389-16413.jpg

212389-16414.jpg

212389-16415.jpg

212389-16416.jpg

212389-16417.jpg

a superlative Tourbillon......mmmmmm

I think supurlative is an adjective stretch. It's a tourbillon...yes...and by definition is a facinating micromechanical, but supurlative is a word I associate with performance, manufacture and reliability, not design. My experience with replica watches time and time again is that the best performers, the one's that work for years trouble free, are the simpler mechanical designs. There has been an almost linear association between complexity and failure in my replica watches. A tourbillon is just asking for trouble. Again, this is just my return for money equation I apply to these purchases. I'm not putting value judgements on anyone else's idea of what "money well spent" is. This watch, to me, is way too risky, a potential $900 throwaway when it fails.

I think supurlative is an adjective stretch. It's a tourbillon...yes...and by definition is a facinating micromechanical, but supurlative is a word I associate with performance, manufacture and reliability, not design. My experience with replica watches time and time again is that the best performers, the one's that work for years trouble free, are the simpler mechanical designs. There has been an almost linear association between complexity and failure in my replica watches. A tourbillon is just asking for trouble. Again, this is just my return for money equation I apply to these purchases. I'm not putting value judgements on anyone else's idea of what "money well spent" is. This watch, to me, is way too risky, a potential $900 throwaway when it fails.

Well just to 'burst your little bubble of negativity' I have an AP tourb that has seen months of daily beating, several bashings, soakings and one total imersion in birthday cake (dont ask!) still chuggin away like a good'un.

I think its just about do you want to own a true Tourbillon or not

If not why comment

If yes & squeezing a 'monkey' out of the housekeeping or whatever is too much of a bind, then you never will.

Thanks to everyone for all the input-especially Neil and Narikka. I love their positive reinforcement. For those of you who tried to point out the possible negatives, thanks to you as well. My wife agrees with you 100%. I think I will one day pull th etrigger on the VC Malte Tourbillon, because it is just so cool and beautiful. Damn th erisk, full speed ahead! I wiull keep you posted.

I've got the full skeletonized Breguet flying tourby; had it for almost a year now. It was close to a grand, I guess, when I got it; bought from Josh.

I spent a long time thinking about it before I bought it. I couldn't get it out of my head. It's a rep; yes - but it is also a REAL flying tourbillon. Where the hell else are you going to be able to get that for $900.00 or so? The gen skeletonized Breguet flying tourbillon is $90,000.00! Now true, mine is not made of platinum or plated in white gold, and does not have a wonderful gen Breguet movement - but it does keep the best time of all my reps (17 or so at this writing); hell, it keeps better time than half my gens!

The bottom line is it depends what you're looking for. No one else you are likely ever to meet in person will have a real flying tourbillon watch. It's functional and beautiful. It's unique. If that's worth it to you, then go for it.

I'd rather have one completely unique $900.00 watch I love than three $300.00 reps that everyone has.

I think the vintage rollie guys would agree, no? With all your mods and the base watch, what did your 1665 MBWs cost? But it

I've got the full skeletonized Breguet flying tourby; had it for almost a year now. It was close to a grand, I guess, when I got it; bought from Josh.

I spent a long time thinking about it before I bought it. I couldn't get it out of my head. It's a rep; yes - but it is also a REAL flying tourbillon. Where the hell else are you going to be able to get that for $900.00 or so? The gen skeletonized Breguet flying tourbillon is $90,000.00! Now true, mine is not made of platinum or plated in white gold, and does not have a wonderful gen Breguet movement - but it does keep the best time of all my reps (17 or so at this writing); hell, it keeps better time than half my gens!

The bottom line is it depends what you're looking for. No one else you are likely ever to meet in person will have a real flying tourbillon watch. It's functional and beautiful. It's unique. If that's worth it to you, then go for it.

I'd rather have one completely unique $900.00 watch I love than three $300.00 reps that everyone has.

I think the vintage rollie guys would agree, no? With all your mods and the base watch, what did your 1665 MBWs cost? But it