When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

After a year of searching.....

Steve G

I've been search for about a year since this hobby started to find someone nearby to service my watches should anything go wrong. Most times small jewelery stores would outsource or flat out refuse if I told them I had a replica. Other times the sight of a mechancial watch would cause deer in the headlights looks on the faces of the "change your battery only" guys. My search again was caused by my father's bentley reset pusher being broken. My dad said he really didn't mind and just figured he'd wear it like it was (but it bugged me to no end). So finally called a guy I saw advertised about 35 minutes from me...called explained my situation he told me to stop by.

Today went to said watchmaker, a older asian man, soft spoken, but highly knowledgable. starred at my dad's brietling (I never mentioned rep yet) for over a minute he studied the watch while removing the case back. Then he asked "how much did you pay for this". I told him it isn't a real Breitling.. he, looking relived said "ok then". He found the rest of the pusher's pin floating inside the case, said he would need some time with it and it would cost $20 to repair. Sweet huh. We had a nice long conversation about the rep world, he was already somewhat familiar but was overwhelmed with the number of websites. He asked if I got the watch on the internet. I told him yes and asked if he would like the website of Josh and Andrew. To my surprise he knew of Andrew's site.

He also told me how a few of his loyal customers would come in and ask if he could source them some rolex reps while on a visit to China Town in NYC. He never came back with anything because the quality wasn't any good, just by appearance alone. He said in his 35 years he has never seen the quality of replicas as the ones I brought in. He's even been to China many many times over the years and hasn't been able to come across the higher quality stuff.

Guys this man was genuinly floored by our reps. I asked him to look at my IWC Jones as I thought it might be a lttle slow..he put it on his machine and told me only a slight adjustment if any was needed. He did the work didn't charge me. He couldn't get over how well the IWC was made, and totally surprised of it''s accuracy and movement quality. And I own the Asian 6497. I told him what I paid and he said he couldn't sell me a watch with that movement for less than $300. I could have spent hours talking to this man, but in the end I made a nice friend and contact for any future needs.

Well that's my story...and I left feeling super good as we certainly have a good thing here. Great dealers giving us top shelf watches and wonderful members sharing knowledge and experiences which make this hobby a little easier.

Peace

Cool storey, I just love happy endings.sniff, sniff.

My guy near me, built me a 2892 ETA shitenrand gelina Sub, serviced and w/proofed for 200 cdn bucks.

No band.

Now that I have discoverd RWG, and all that it offers, he don't build nothin' for me any more.

He does still work on my stuff real cheap, but I buy most of my rep stuff on line.

He isn't too cumfy dealing with reps, but he opens up after some prodding.

BTW, he is prolly one of the biggest watch part distributors in Canada. Has EVERYTHING!

But he doesn't work with the public, only watch smiths. I guess I'm lucky. I bought a 2832 ETA from him on the bay for 80 us. I picked it up locally and the rest is history. (As well as HUNDREDS of dollars since!).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Almost a post hijack, so sorry SteveG

R.P.

I in fact informed him about us here at RWG, not sure if he really got the whole forum thing. But was interested in seeing some of the reputable dealers, he probably is interested in getting some and selling out the back door. :D

Sound really great. Unfortunately there aren't many watchmakers to come across in the northern parts of europe, or so it seems.

The ones I've talked to didn't mind reps... but they minded the hours it took for the to assemble some crappy movement :s

Anyways

congrats with the watchmaker!

/Award