When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine ETA (non-asian reworked) in Logo?

thatsexystud

Hey guys,

I'm just about to purchase a base 005 logo from Davidsen. I have heard so many horror stories about the asian reworked ETA movement that I would like to replace it with a genuine (OEM stock) ETA model. Since the Logo doesn't have an open back, there isn't anyone who should be able to "call me out" unless they were to open the steel back. Any thoughts on who could perform the surgery for me and what I should expect to pay?

It really just seems like the movements are the weakest part of reps... if we just settled for a real ETA movement the quality and useful life of the watches would be significantly improved. After all, its how it looks on our wrists that is important... not how closely copied the movement engravings are.

Edited by TwoTone

Just wanted to say that I aggree with you regarding the quality issue. For me the quality is no 1 and if that is not fullfilled to a reasoable level I see no point buying the watch. After the quality is at an acceptable level I would start thinking about font size, lume, canon pin etc. IMHO there is not much point buying a watch that will end up in the drawer after 6 months and never see daylight again. My philosophy has been to keep it as simple as possible. By reading the forum it seems like if something can break, it will break, so therefore I prefer only very simple models with nothing that can break. In my view the more basic PAMs with Swiss ETA are the best example of this. A basic robust movement which any watchmaker can fix, rugged crown, rough bars etc. Buying a chronograph with a 7750 from China is simply not my thing.

Hey guys,

I'm just about to purchase a base 005 logo from Davidsen. I have heard so many horror stories about the asian reworked ETA movement that I would like to replace it with a genuine (OEM stock) ETA model. Since the Logo doesn't have an open back, there isn't anyone who should be able to "call me out" unless they were to open the steel back. Any thoughts on who could perform the surgery for me and what I should expect to pay?

It really just seems like the movements are the weakest part of reps... if we just settled for a real ETA movement the quality and useful life of the watches would be significantly improved. After all, its how it looks on our wrists that is important... not how closely copied the movement engravings are.

Hey guys,

Well I am confused for many reasons... first you joined yesterday, and a day later your reporting that you have "heard so many horror stories about the asian reworked ETA movement". Can you point me to these horror stories, it's the first I have heard of this problem.

Second, you say "if we just settled for a real ETA movement the quality and useful life of the watches would be significantly improved", if in a day of browsing here, you discovered the horrors of the Asian ETA's, how did you miss these posts during your research?

Asian ETA copy 2836-2

Davidsen Asian 6497 review

Asian 7750 newest model

Asian 6497-2 fast beat model.

RG

Well I am confused for many reasons... first you joined yesterday, and a day later your reporting that you have "heard so many horror stories about the asian reworked ETA movement". Can you point me to these horror stories, it's the first I have heard of this problem.

Second, you say "if we just settled for a real ETA movement the quality and useful life of the watches would be significantly improved", if in a day of browsing here, you discovered the horrors of the Asian ETA's, how did you miss these posts during your research?

Asian ETA copy 2836-2

Asian 7750 newest model

RG

lmao

Asian ETA copy 2836-2

Asian 7750 newest model

RG

Testy today are we The Zigmeister?

Let me assure you that your animosity is neither necessary nor appropriate and I am saddened that it is you, The Zigmeister, that responded in such a way. Indeed, I am a big fan of your reviews had hoped that someone with your level of experience and clear attention to detail would be able to advise me on the feasibility of my request. Thank you for rolling out the welcome mat to a new and paying member.

First off, you take issue with the fact that I just "joined yesterday" and report hearing negative reviews about the ASIAN movements. This conveniently ignores the fact that one does not need to be a member in order to browse or search the forums. My searches on the forum indicate that the "Swan Neck" has been less than dependable (anecdotally has been known to break) and that the asian movements are louder than their swiss counterparts.

Second, my proposal to have a genuine off-the-shelf ETA movement is exceedingly rationale. We all know that many high end watches use ETA Movements. This evidences a certain level of craftsmanship that can be verified from legitimate (i.e. not counterfeit) and well known companies. Since the swiss movements are so good and reliable, it only makes sense that one would want one in their high end replica. After all, it is the movement what makes high-end watches so desireable... simply stamping Rolex or Panerai isn't necessarily indicative of any quality. I want to wear my watch forever and be able to have it repaired when needed. Not everyone is familiar with custom alterations.

Lastly, your blithe response causes me to wonder whether you do not have any personal conflict of interest in the question posed.

Respectfully,

Thatsexystud

P.S. Tourbullion has genuine ETA movements for sale and so perhaps I should ask him about how difficult it would be to fit a 005 Logo with one.

Edited by thatsexystud

Do you think that the gen swiss eta does not fit in the same case as a swiss which has been modified in china? I got the impressioin that they normally just add some decoration at the top parts visible from the backside, and that the rest would be left intact. But I am not a watch maker so I dont know.

If you are interested in a plain swiss made one maybe this could be something? I bought one like this two months ago and I am very happy with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Personally I bought it because I like the design and the feeling of the watch and have no ambition at all to make it look like a genuine panerai. I like the plain undecorated movement more than one that is decorated. It is after all a military design and then I think it is more approriate when the movement has more of a "no nonsence appearance". It gives it more of a military feeling which matches the entire concept better I think.

Testy today are we The Zigmeister?

Let me assure you that your animosity is neither necessary nor appropriate. First off, you take issue with the fact that I just "joined yesterday" and report hearing negative reviews about the ASIAN movements. This conveniently ignores the fact that one does not need to be a member in order to browse or search the forums. My searches on the forum indicate that the "Swan Neck" has been less than dependable (anecdotally has been known to break) and that the asian movements are louder than their swiss counterparts.

Second, my proposal to have a genuine off-the-shelf ETA movement is exceedingly rationale. We all know that many high end watches use ETA Movements. This evidences a certain level of craftsmanship that can be verified from legitimate (i.e. not counterfeit) and well known companies. Since the swiss movements are so good and reliable, it only makes sense that one would want one in their high end replica. After all, it is the movement what makes high-end watches so desireable... simply stamping Rolex or Panerai isn't necessarily indicative of any quality. I want to wear my watch forever and be able to have it repaired when needed. Not everyone is familiar with custom alterations.

Lastly, your blithe response causes me to wonder whether you do not have any personal conflict of interest in the question posed.

Respectfully,

Thatsexystud

P.S. Tourbullion has genuine ETA movements for sale and so perhaps I should ask him about how difficult it would be to fit a 005 Logo with one.

Testy today are we Ziggy?

Actually I am never testy. Why do you ask? because I provided some information that indicates that Asian movements can indeed be good and you dont' like my answer.

Let me assure you that your animosity is neither necessary nor appropriate and I am saddened that it is you, Ziggy, that responded in such a way.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Animosity? from what?? Your "saddened" that I responded in such a way? and my "blithe" (whatever the hell that means, remember some of us are not native english speakers or readers) response makes you wonder about a "personal conflict of interest". Are you for real.

Yes, the secret is out, I ZIGGY, actually have a Factory where I produce Asian movements for the world...now everyone knows, thanks for taking that load off my shoulders...

And please don't try and humour me with your "respectfully" crap. Rest assured that you have NO worries about getting any help from me... I think you have been here before, been banned, and have come back, since your response is all too familiar with someone who was recently banned...lets see what the Mods have to say about the IP address similarities.

Your wacked out mister and a troll, speak to yourself.

RG

Thank you for rolling out the welcome mat to a new and paying member.

Sorry I missed that part, I had such a hard time figuring out what the big words meant, I skipped this sentence altogether.

Your most welcome for my answer, since it appears in your research, you missed all of these posts. I wanted you to be aware of them. And thank you for the big words, and the insults, and the accusations, most appreciated, now we both know where we stand.

And I belive Tourbillon has lots of movements for sale and can certainly help you out.

RG

Actually I am never testy. Why do you ask? because I provided some information that indicates that Asian movements can indeed be good and you dont' like my answer.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Animosity? from what?? Your "saddened" that I responded in such a way? and my "blithe" (whatever the hell that means, remember some of us are not native english speakers or readers) response makes you wonder about a "personal conflict of interest". Are you for real.

Yes, the secret is out, I The Zigmeister, actually have a Factory where I produce Asian movements for the world...now everyone knows, thanks for taking that load off my shoulders...

And please don't try and humour me with your "respectfully" crap. Rest assured that you have NO worries about getting any help from me... I think you have been here before, been banned, and have come back, since your response is all too familiar with someone who was recently banned...lets see what the Mods have to say about the IP address similarities.

Your wacked out mister and a troll, speak to yourself.

RG

I can assure you that I will not be banned unless this entire site is a scam. I have never been to this site before I joined up. I joined because I have a genuine interest in watches and I fear now that I may not have found what I was looking for.

Do you think that the gen swiss eta does not fit in the same case as a swiss which has been modified in china? I got the impressioin that they normally just add some decoration at the top parts visible from the backside, and that the rest would be left intact. But I am not a watch maker so I dont know.

If you are interested in a plain swiss made one maybe this could be something? I bought one like this two months ago and I am very happy with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Personally I bought it because I like the design and the feeling of the watch and have no ambition at all to make it look like a genuine panerai. I like the plain undecorated movement more than one that is decorated. It is after all a military design and then I think it is more approriate when the movement has more of a "no nonsence appearance". It gives it more of a military feeling which matches the entire concept better I think.

Mrnixon,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. That does indeed look interesting and on close inspection... I think I might just prefer that to the replicas. Tell me, have you had any problems with water/sweat getting in through the back view window? Any issues of fogging or the like?

With regard to the fit of the movement, I read somewhere that Davidsen's watches are sometimes a bit smaller in some respects then other reps and that this may prevent things from being 100% interchangeable. I had been hoping to get in touch with Davidsen to get my questions answered but have yet to receive a response from my PM. I will keep trying.

Regards,

Thatsexystud

Edited by thatsexystud

Mrnixon,

I think I will buy that one too. Tell me, have you had any problems with water/sweat getting in through the back view window? Any issues of fogging or the like?

With regard to the fit of the movement, I read somewhere that Davidsen's watches are sometimes a bit smaller in some respects then other reps and that this may prevent things from being 100% interchangeable.

My watch has never been exposed to water so I dont know if it is water proof. By the crown there is rubber seal at least.

Regarding interchangable parts. I have a vague memory that I have read that Davidsens dials dont have the same size as many others. I have never heard anything about movements though.

Hey Stud,

Unless you have skills working with watches why don't you just buy an 005 from a dealer that has the swiss movement to begin with? If not then I'd suggest that you buy the Davidsen buy an ETA movement and send it to a well respected member of this board who works on watches.

My personal suggestion would be to buy the davidsen and ETA and ship it all to The Zigmeister and have him do the work on it. :lol:

Hi

Davidsen parts will fit also genuine ETA. Genuine ETA and asia ETA has same size.

you could purchase Davidsen case + dial + hands set and purchase a swiss Unitas and build your own watch. This is very easy and EVERY watchmaker in the world will build a watch with this parts in 15min and a cost of $10- $15.

and it isn

In this discussin we seem to assume that the Swiss Eta provided by Davidsens watches is inferiour compared with a Swiss Eta from for example Otto Frei ( http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html ). Maybe we should first clarify if that is the case? I got the impression that the movements are basically the same type but that most rep sellers also have them decorated. Maybe some of the experts could contribute here?

Hey Stud,

Unless you have skills working with watches why don't you just buy an 005 from a dealer that has the swiss movement to begin with? If not then I'd suggest that you buy the Davidsen buy an ETA movement and send it to a well respected member of this board who works on watches.

My personal suggestion would be to buy the davidsen and ETA and ship it all to The Zigmeister and have him do the work on it. :lol:

Sweattdogg,

Yes, I was hoping to do something along those lines. Alas, as you can see from the thread, The Zigmeister is very clearly not willing to be of any assistance on this matter. Apparently my initial question offended him. At any rate, I think you are right, I will try to purchase the 005 with the swiss movement at the outset.

Thanks!

Edited by thatsexystud

Sweattdogg,

Yes, I was hoping to do something along those lines. Alas, as you can see from the thread, The Zigmeister is very clearly not willing to be of any assistance on this matter. Apparently my initial question offended him. At any rate, I think you are right, I will try to purchase the 005 with the swiss movement at the outset.

Thanks!

I'm having fun building watches with the parts that I like so I'll chime in. The easy part is finding a GEN Swiss 6497 movement. The harder objective is finding a nice engraved or CDG movement that looks similar to the GEN movement. If you just want to cover up the movement, I would say that you are best served getting a basic 6497. It will be reliable and easily serviced. I like dealing with Vacuum who has been a wealth of information with regards to this hobby.

The Zigmeister is great too from what I've heard

You should be able to find a nice 6497 movement for about $100 or so. Tourbillon sells much nicer 6497 movements, but it would be shame to cover it up.

skc

Alas, as you can see from the thread, Ziggy is very clearly not willing to be of any assistance on this matter. Apparently my initial question offended him.

Your initial question has nothing to do with my "assistance" or lack thereof. I answered your initial question, and for some reason, beyond my understanding, you wacked out in your response to me, insulted me, accused me of being a liar and other bad stuff I am sure, but which I have yet to figure out from your Shakespearian big fancy words response. Not sure who your trying to impress with your litterature and fancy words, but it ain't me...

That is why you will not get any assistance from me, end of discussion.

Stop trying to play Mr "I don't know why Ziggy won't help me, all I did was ask a question, sniff, sniff" pity party, it's BS and everyone knows it.

Good luck from here on in...

RG

Your initial question has nothing to do with my "assistance" or lack thereof. I answered your initial question, and for some reason, beyond my understanding, you wacked out in your response to me, insulted me, accused me of being a liar and other bad stuff I am sure, but which I have yet to figure out from your Shakespearian big fancy words response. Not sure who your trying to impress with your litterature and fancy words, but it ain't me...

That is why you will not get any assistance from me, end of discussion.

Stop trying to play Mr "I don't know why The Zigmeister won't help me, all I did was ask a question, sniff, sniff" pity party, it's BS and everyone knows it.

Good luck from here on in...

RG

The Zigmeister:

Anyone who reads this thread will understand why I say the following to you: "[censored] OFF". Are those words plain and simple enough for you? Or does it still strain your feeble mind? Are you still confused? Here is a hint: It is probably the same gutteral language you used when you were mounting your sister and mother... and it certainly doesn't sit well with me but apparently you cannot understand more civilized speech.

Everyone else here has been more than helpful. I suggest you take your cue from them. Leave me alone and go waste someone else's time as I certainly won't be responding to anymore of your tirades.

Edited by TwoTone

I'm having fun building watches with the parts that I like so I'll chime in. The easy part is finding a GEN Swiss 6497 movement. The harder objective is finding a nice engraved or CDG movement that looks similar to the GEN movement. If you just want to cover up the movement, I would say that you are best served getting a basic 6497. It will be reliable and easily serviced. I like dealing with Vacuum who has been a wealth of information with regards to this hobby.

The Zigmeister is great too from what I've heard

You should be able to find a nice 6497 movement for about $100 or so. Tourbillon sells much nicer 6497 movements, but it would be shame to cover it up.

skc

Sweattdog,

Thanks for the note. You are right about not wanting to cover up such a customized movement... that is precisely why I think the logo 005 with the closed back may be more to my liking. I only want the real deal anyway.

Thanks again!

Edited by thatsexystud

Ziggy:

Anyone who reads this thread will understand why I say the following to you: "[censored] OFF". Are those words plain and simple enough for you? Or does it still strain your feeble mind? Are you still confused? Here is a hint: It is probably the same gutteral language you used when you were mounting your sister and mother... and it certainly doesn't sit well with me but apparently you cannot understand more civilized speech.

Everyone else here has been more than helpful. I suggest you take your cue from them. Leave me alone and go waste someone else's time as I certainly won't be responding to anymore of your tirades.

There you go, your words of wisdom about yourself are immortilized for everyone to see.

I am sure the members here are looking forward to helping you anyway they can, and also your future contributions to our wonderful forum.

Again, welcome abord!!

RG

The Zigmeister:

Anyone who reads this thread will understand why I say the following to you: "[censored] OFF".

Um, no we won't.

The Zigmeister is possibly the most respected poster on any replica watch forum ever. He's earned the right to be a little defensive, to say the least. :black_eye:

You, however, would be better off picking on someone else to earn your stripes, like TTK, for instance. He loves ascerbic n00bz. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Zigmeister:

Whoa......who the [censored] died....went to heaven and made you Queen of the May........where do you get off talking to a senior member like that.....telling him to [censored] off and maligning his sister and mother......in less than 10 posts.........you're an arrogant [censored].......and NOT deserving of any assistance from ANY of our members......The Zigmeister was simply trying to point you towards what nay have been alternatives to you.....but you got on your high horse.......and decided to abuse him for no good reason....!

I defo believe you've been a previous member.......you're too familiar with aspects of this board ..not to be...and at present NONE of the members here know you from warm cow dung......which would appear to have more intelligence......!

I for one will certainly support a member such as The Zigmeister....over an asshat like you.......you are no ASSET tp our community......and other members should realise that from your demeanour and your vitriolism..........duly noted in the Dealer's Section....where I'll try to alert other dealers not to deal with you......if this is your reaction when a member tries to assist you......I can only imagine the [censored] you would stir up if you had a problem with a dealer.......!

@Tourby....and MrNixon......I'm really surprised that you're furnishing this completely NON-PRODUCTIVE asshat with any information.......!

Edited by TTK