When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my wonderful week of expensive reps

chad

I do not want to go into the eddie lee thing just that he has a bunch of peoples money and no working tracking numbers and no communication...

i guess when it comes down to it most of the stuff we get sent is at heart.......junk......or fixer uppers....

I was thinking the same thing. What fiasco?

Sorry to here about your issues...that does suck and that's a good chunk of change.

sorry but the details are quite fleshed out in the iwc forum....

but hey i knew most of the posts to this would be in the vain of me being the bad guy.....

i just want a new screw for my big bang....haha

No offense, but it's a bit unfair to call a dealer out without offering details.

Other than that, sounds like a tough run.

No offense, but it's a bit unfair to call a dealer out without offering details.

Other than that, sounds like a tough run.

There's a long thread on it in the IWC forum. I've had great experiences with EL - so i'm hoping that maybe he just jumped the gun a bit in the timing of offering this watch and that is the reason for the delay. On the other hand - as much as I want that watch I'm glad I waited to pull the trigger.

Don't take it as you're the bad guy. I'm not saying that at all.

What I wanted to say is, and I may get this wrong again, that saying "Dealer X really sucks" then saying "Sorry, don't want to talk about it" isn't fair.

I'll check out the IWC thread. Keep your chin up.

after the womart fiasco of a couple of years ago, and some issues with a couple of breitlings this year, I've decided that QC is not awful most of the year, but seems to get much worse around chinese new year. I've had more bad watches when ordering during this time period than any other. A small sample maybe, but it's my experience.

I you are a replica collector, it's almost necessary to develop a few rudimentary watchsmith skills. A small screwdriver set and a magnifying loupe will go a long way toward averting most bracelet disasters. I always tighten ALL screws on the watch on delivery. Make sure all casebacks are secured. Inspect all applied parts, like bezel pearls, for adherence. I've had to crazyglue on a few. DOA movements are another issue, but poorly misregulated movements can be adjusted. I had a Datejust arrive with the corinet and second hand dislodged rom the dial and mechanisim but was able to repair in less than 15 minutes.

They aren't supposed to be "fixeruppers" but I've had to fiddle with more than just a few. There is NO QC in the rep world.

might be done with reps...

All I can say is that I understand what you mean. Regardless of how things might be made right by our very good dealers here, it simply sucks to get excited by a particular watch and have something silly happen like basic parts falling off. There would have to be a big change in quality control for me to buy another rep. I think some will have the same realization you had,,,for the money I spent, I could have had a good gen. ,,the rep makers can make any level of quality they want. If enough insist on good quality I think it could happen.

Sorry to hear about everyone's bad experiences. I agree with the comment about buying directly from the factory during Chinese New Year. This time of year I try and focus my buying on other reliable forum members. Picked up a 2892 Power Reserve, rare correctly functioning Palped Daytona and an Orange PO with good bezel insert is on the way from another member as well.

On Eddie's project, IMHO, patience is a virtue. If a large factory were doing this do you think they would slow down their run of 1,000 pieces because a gasket was a little off? No they would jam it together. I do hope there are more smaller run high end projects. I will happily wait for whatever time it takes for Eddie to get the Pilot Chrono right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That's mine. :D

For those of you who think there is no such thing as quality control, I can tell you now- it's not true. Joshua decided not to ship out one of my watches because he caught a mistake with the alignment of the hands. I was very impressed, because it shows he is a good honest person. There is quality control with the right people, I believe...

As for the comments regarding postal service; yes, very true... some postal workers are inherantly violent individuals.

I have about 10 reps, and they are starting to show there age. I have an Nick Faldo AP from 2004 which I've worn maybe 30 times. There is a glued on plate on the movement to simulate the gen movement which is starting to come loose. My old reliable first edition 183 finally stripped it's crown. I just got the replacement crown and tube from Davidsen and it's now with my watchsmith. My beautiful Frank Muller 2892 movement Conquistador dropped a screw from the bracelet. I had them loctited. Luckily, I found it. I consider these my highest quality watches and they were all flawless when I got them.

I have 27 reps in my modest collection. With an average price of $250 USD per rep - not counting shipping - it works out to nearly $7,000 USD in reps. With the money I've invested in mods (taking into account that I rounded-up the average price in total), it works out to an approximate amount of $8,000 USD. That's possibly close to two, or more gens (depending on price spread) worth of watches in cost. I also have four gens (Rolex Explorer II, Omega SMP Large, Omega SMP Mid-size, Tissot Le Locle Chronograph). Those gens work-out to about $7,600 in total.

Mishaps with reps:

I have had the bezel fall out of my Omega SMP PO 5th Gen 45mm rep (fixed it myself), a Rolex Daytona rep that just stopped working (fixed by dealer free of charge), my wive's Rolex Yachtmaster rep had only a three hour reserve (fixed by dealer free of charge), my wive's Rolex TT Datejust stopped working (fixed by dealer free of charge), my Panerai 172 stopped working (fixed it myself), and the 12 O'clock marker of my TT 14Kt Yachtmaster fell off (fixed it myself).

So, the end analysis is that none of the gens have given me any problems - ever. But neither have 21 of the reps. And, I actually wear my reps a lot more than I wear my gens (my daily beater is my Rolex "Perfect" Sub). So, although I've had my share of issues with reps, I certainly feel that their quality is not bad for the money. Considering that I have about seven times more options of watches to wear now that I have reps along with gens, I'm glad I have invested in reps.

However, if I had $7,000 USD and I had to purchase something, I would go for gens before purchasing reps. In fact, I purchased my reps after all my gens. Had I done it the other way around, I would have kicked myself for it the moment one of my more expensive reps malfunctioned.

Bottom line for future purchasers: The rep hobby is one that perpetuates itself over time. So, if you think you're only going to purchase one rep, you are most likely wrong. Assuming that this is true, chances are that you will likely end up spending enough money on reps to purchase yourself at least one real nice gen. Therefore, I recommend that if you don't have any such watches yet, SAVE YOUR MONEY until you can buy a gen. Then, purchase reps.

A very wise man once said...long..long..ago..

'Rep is just Rep'.

Of the twenty plus rep watches that I have purchased in the last 4 years or so, 2 or 3 have malfunctioned.

Only one has just up and died. Lucky I guess.

Even genuine watches malfunction and die. Those reps are VERY expensive to service and repair.

For the one or two gens that I might have purchased in the same amount of time, I would not have had the choice daily to wear what ever I feel like wearing.

If I don't like one or two of those I have purchased I sell them, give them away, or let them languish in my watch case.

When EL's new IWC is delivered, regardless of how long it takes, I for one will have forgotten the 'fiasco' posts... when wearing it.

And trust me when I say...EL will still be around offering great deals for beautiful reps long after this one unhappy customer is long gone.

For those of you who think there is no such thing as quality control, I can tell you now- it's not true. Joshua decided not to ship out one of my watches because he caught a mistake with the alignment of the hands. I was very impressed, because it shows he is a good honest person. There is quality control with the right people, I believe...

As for the comments regarding postal service; yes, very true... some postal workers are inherantly violent individuals.

We're talking about QC of parts and assembly manufacture, not pre shipping screening for function. Most replicas are assembled in mom and pop shops in the basements of houses all over China where output is the name of the game, not quality.

Corgi, your love of replicas is obvious in your posts and it's refreshing but,...I was there once too man and be forwarned, replicas will let you down. I once thought I had found the Holy Grail, a shortcut to high quality time pieces, but it turns out these watches, in general, have some gaping holes in quality that will lead to annoyances and sometimes to failure. If you buy enough of them, the numbers and the percentages will flush this fact out. Once I lowered my expectations and developed a more reasoned relationship with replica watches, I had a more satisfying experience.

But I will take luck over skill every day of the week.

:lol:

I'm with you, Kruzer. I've been slow and very selective at adding to the collection and so far so good.

I have noticed a drop in QC & increased reported problems in the past few months. While reps have become more accurate, there seems to be a drop off in the overall quality and reliability of the watches. I don't have anything new except the 42mm PO (second hand so checked out by the original owner) and they have all been perfect....knock on wood. :)

chad, very sorry to hear about your experiences. Hope it gets sorted out to your satisfaction.

Corgi, your love of replicas is obvious in your posts and it's refreshing but,...I was there once too man and be forwarned, replicas will let you down. I once thought I had found the Holy Grail, a shortcut to high quality time pieces, but it turns out these watches, in general, have some gaping holes in quality that will lead to annoyances and sometimes to failure. If you buy enough of them, the numbers and the percentages will flush this fact out. Once I lowered my expectations and developed a more reasoned relationship with replica watches, I had a more satisfying experience.

I would like to refine that statement a bit more, if I have enough "creed" with a dozen purchases. It depends upon the model of rep you select as well. If you read through the forums you can generally find which models are good and which are bad. In general, any of the "asia" chronographs are going to be less than you hope for. I found if you stick with basic watch functionality (i.e. time and date) and skip the fancy stuff, you can have very good results with the products available from our dealers. So instead of that PAN with alarm bells and flashing lights, just K.I.S.S. and stick with the basic PAN manual wind Marina and it will be very nice. The DJs and DDs are very nice these days. And I've been very satisfied with the SMP--although for the life of me I can't figure out why they can't get the bezel alignment correct. About as far up on the functional ladder I would recommend going is a GMT model.

I bought a few different asia "7750" versions and wasn't very happy with any of them, though they are all still working so far. The new 28,880 bpm 7750 were reviewed on one of the boards and they might be better. If you try those stick to the 12-9-6 natural configuration and the results are not bad.

/Tim

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid