When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Humourless Paneristi

statikman

Wow, whoever wrote that has more issues than a news stand. What a freak. I like Star Wars as much as the next guy, but that makes me somewhat ashamed to admit that... :black_eye: The thing that got me the most about the post, was the "don't touch what you can't afford" playground mentality. My impression, might be right, might be wrong, was that the OP is a spoiled brat in their teens with wealthy parents, who is always given what they want, was given a Panerai, and has now forgotten that they did not actually pay for it themselves, and that owning one makes them a morally superior person :rolleyes: Personally, I would not buy a gen high-end watch even if I could afford to, because I think paying that kind of money on a watch is crazy. I have a quartz Casio which cost me about

Why do these losers assume we buy reps because we cant afford the genuine?

Anyone with a job could find a way to get $3000 to spend if they really wanted to.

What a tool. I hope his pecker falls off.

In the case of that particular fruit, I'd say it's transference of self-loathing that their Panerai was a gift from their parents, and not the toil of their own labors ;) I'm sure they'll get a reality check one day :)

HE WAS SCREWING WITH THEM!

Wow, I thought they had no sense of humour.

Did you even read the line about

"instead of setting a bum on fire..."?

It can be hard to tell from text alone if someone is making a joke or not (even more so when people have no knowledge of the person's personality) I've encountered people like them online before, they're normally called trolls, and have serious emotional issues, which they try to hide by claiming their actions are 'just a joke'.

I've seen the results of forum trolling and seen the hassle it can cause, so glad as I am to find out that it was not some disgruntled rich kid, I do not condone the action in any way. It's a nice community here, if folks start trolling other gen forums to wind people up, they are going to react by coming here and most likely reporting the dealers, and then we will be screwed for sources of watches. What starts as fun can have serious consequences. Lets try and keep things as professional as possible here, that way, people on the gen forums are more likely to leave us be. :)

My brothers: the post over @ Paneristi was satire. Alittle too over the top--satire works best when nobody is 100% sure it's satire--but definitely a joke. My favorite post is the last one by the dopey Paneristi who's not quite sure if it's serious or not but he doesn't care 'cause he's outraged anyway.

As far as "keeping it professional" goes, this isn't my profession, it's my hobby...and that post over @ paneristi was pretty funny. Plus, I have too many PAMs to care whether or not the Paneristi PAC succeeds in shutting down PAM rep production in China.

My brothers: the post over @ Paneristi was satire. Alittle too over the top--satire works best when nobody is 100% sure it's satire--but definitely a joke. My favorite post is the last one by the dopey Paneristi who's not quite sure if it's serious or not but he doesn't care 'cause he's outraged anyway.

As far as "keeping it professional" goes, this isn't my profession, it's my hobby...and that post over @ paneristi was pretty funny. Plus, I have too many PAMs to care whether or not the Paneristi PAC succeeds in shutting down PAM rep production in China.

Har Har, it's my hobby too, as well as the hobby of everyone else posting on this forum, don't be so pedantic. You might have all the *insert rep brand here* you want, but not everyone else has, so don't be so selfish and think that just because production getting shut down wouldn't bother you, it doesn't matter at all, because others might be very put out by it (particularly the dealers, for whom I suspect this is their profession).

Where you the OP of that post?

Have you ever seen or been on the receiving end of a troll attack? I'm not just talking about an inter-forum spat, but where people actually Google your username to find other forums you post on, and then post those search results on another forum as a way of embarrassing you? Or had your name searched through the electoral so someone can then post your personal details, and the details of your parents/spouse on a forum as a way of attacking you? Or had people track from a posted image back to your image hosting site so they can then post pictures of your partner on a forum so they can then mock them? I have seen it, so I know how these kind of people operate. What starts as a joke, can quickly escalate into something very personal, and very very nasty. Now, as I'm sure you're aware, in the US, all those things are actionable criminal attacks. In the UK, our laws haven't quite caught up with the 21st Century yet, so we just have to take it and ignore it, but that does not make it any less unpleasant for the victim, or any less dispicable on the part of the attacking troll.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or buzz-killer here, but just think for a minute. If Paneristi were to start coming here and reporting the dealers in retaliation for a juvenile trolling prank, and other members were no longer able to order watches because of that, do you think the OP of that prank would be very popular or welcome? Just think about it.

I'm amazed at the number of people in here that think the original poster was serious.

Wow. Thin skin is not limited to the genuine community. Oh, wait....i knew that already cause I read Jaymoi's blathering posts and PMs.

Don't be so defensive guys.

Dude, it's not a case of me being defensive, it's a case of me having seen first hand precicely the kind of lengths trolls will go to get one over on their opponent. Reporting the names of the dealers here to the authorities is small fries compared to the effort that goes into stalking online image hosting and doing electoral role searches for people's names.

I fully accept that the post was a joke, I'm just saying that people doing that kind of thing need to be more mindfull of their actions with things like this. As has been pointed out many times, what we are involved with here is illegal, and could wind people in serious trouble if they were reported. All I'm saying, is that jokes might seem funny at first, but the consequences of them can be anything but funny. I like the community here, I like being able to get decent information on watches, and I like knowing that if I want something, then at least one of the dealers here will be able to get it for me. I do not want those things disappearing because some Paneristi gets their boxers in a bunch over a joke, and decides to come here and start reporting dealers. A joke's a joke, but with things like this, with the stakes involved, it is seriously not worth the risk of potentially ruining everything for everyone.

After reading that post I had a good chuckle "My Humps My Humps"? It was dark humor without doubt and those gas bags at Paneristi need a little wind taken out of their dirigible heads from time to time. LOL !

I read this and I just had to point out that the advert in the Accessories section was using a rep to sell straps. Obviously none of these idiots could recognise a rep when it was placed in front of them - the advert photos had passed their moderators.

Har Har, it's my hobby too, as well as the hobby of everyone else posting on this forum, don't be so pedantic. You might have all the *insert rep brand here* you want, but not everyone else has, so don't be so selfish and think that just because production getting shut down wouldn't bother you, it doesn't matter at all, because others might be very put out by it (particularly the dealers, for whom I suspect this is their profession).

Where you the OP of that post?

Have you ever seen or been on the receiving end of a troll attack? I'm not just talking about an inter-forum spat, but where people actually Google your username to find other forums you post on, and then post those search results on another forum as a way of embarrassing you? Or had your name searched through the electoral so someone can then post your personal details, and the details of your parents/spouse on a forum as a way of attacking you? Or had people track from a posted image back to your image hosting site so they can then post pictures of your partner on a forum so they can then mock them? I have seen it, so I know how these kind of people operate. What starts as a joke, can quickly escalate into something very personal, and very very nasty. Now, as I'm sure you're aware, in the US, all those things are actionable criminal attacks. In the UK, our laws haven't quite caught up with the 21st Century yet, so we just have to take it and ignore it, but that does not make it any less unpleasant for the victim, or any less dispicable on the part of the attacking troll.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or buzz-killer here, but just think for a minute. If Paneristi were to start coming here and reporting the dealers in retaliation for a juvenile trolling prank, and other members were no longer able to order watches because of that, do you think the OP of that prank would be very popular or welcome? Just think about it.

I hope you didn't take offense to my post, because none was intended. I think posting on Paneristi moronic in a number of ways. I just thought that person did it fairly cleverly. As with all parody, the non-ironic responsis of the targets is always more fun than the actual piece.

What I was trying to say jovially was that Richemont group, the Federation of Swiss Watchmakers, etc. and their undoubtedly well funded lobbying arms in every Western country (and probably China) are doing all they can to stop the replica trade--a few [censored] off watch geeks can't do much to add to those efforts aside from the nasty personal stuff you mention. I would venture to say that we are all on report--the gen makers don't need a Paneristi to find out who our dealers are, and if they can use Google they are well aware of RWG. And I'm sure they're bright enough to know that shutting the entire RWG/RWI/TRC community down, which they couldn't do anyway, would do nothing significant to protect their trademarks.

As far as some Paneristi going after people personally--I'm not sure how we get from posting a fake watch on a gen forum to nasty personal attacks online. It seems to me if a Paneristi is dopey and nast enough to go after a RWG memeber, they don't need an excuse. They'll be over here trolling for names as I type. I'm not going to live my onlife life in fear that one of my RWG pals is going to induce some guy over at paneristi to come after my Imageshack account--which I would use only for watches, by the way, if I had one.

I hope you didn't take offense to my post, because none was intended. I think posting on Paneristi moronic in a number of ways. I just thought that person did it fairly cleverly. As with all parody, the non-ironic responsis of the targets is always more fun than the actual piece.

What I was trying to say jovially was that Richemont group, the Federation of Swiss Watchmakers, etc. and their undoubtedly well funded lobbying arms in every Western country (and probably China) are doing all they can to stop the replica trade--a few [censored] off watch geeks can't do much to add to those efforts aside from the nasty personal stuff you mention. I would venture to say that we are all on report--the gen makers don't need a Paneristi to find out who our dealers are, and if they can use Google they are well aware of RWG. And I'm sure they're bright enough to know that shutting the entire RWG/RWI/TRC community down, which they couldn't do anyway, would do nothing significant to protect their trademarks.

As far as some Paneristi going after people personally--I'm not sure how we get from posting a fake watch on a gen forum to nasty personal attacks online. It seems to me if a Paneristi is dopey and nast enough to go after a RWG memeber, they don't need an excuse. They'll be over here trolling for names as I type. I'm not going to live my onlife life in fear that one of my RWG pals is going to induce some guy over at paneristi to come after my Imageshack account--which I would use only for watches, by the way, if I had one.

I didn't find it personally offensive, but I have observed that there are people in the community who do not seem to grasp consequences beyond their own actions, for example, the people having a go at Pug about not getting his brother to ship over a load of watches on the cheap. As far as they were concerned, he was being unreasonable about not wanting to help out (but as pointed out, why should he) and seemed totally oblivious of the logistics of things like the cash handling. This is why I was pointing out what can happen when people get [censored] at what someone thinks is a reasonable joke, and then starts a personal vendetta.

Sure, some Paneristi reporting the dealers here are not going to much difference with regards the entire world wide trade in replica Panerai, but, it would make life extremely unpleasant for those dealers. It would also make it harder for the people in this community to get their watches, and unless that is really spelled out, some people are not going to think of those possible consequences, and decide to go troll the other site for a joke. Having seen trolling attacks, that in the US would result in criminal prosecution, I simply trying to prevent someone inadvertantly causing such a thing to happen here :)

My brothers over at RWI had a lively discussion about this and someone noticed the handle of the original poster at Paneristi and it rung a bell with him. A quick search brought some interesting details to light:

As Old Ben Kenobi said about Obi-Wan......."He is Me"

And here was my follow up reply for those here who are not members at RWI also

For the lazy and infirm amongst us I quote:

:twisted: :p:D

So as they say you never now who is Watching, Listening, or even Writing! :Jumpy::bleh::whistling:

Don't be LEFT out

LeftyDNA