When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Breitling without the blue AR

Rolexman

Hi guys, I would like to know some opinions about the blue AR which is sort of a trademark for Breitling. I own a genuine Steelfish X-plus and after polishing the the shiny ring which protects the crystal with Cape Cod I damaged the outher AR. There were yellowish stripes all around the crystal (Chronomat 123 knows what I'm talking about) because I accidently touched the crystal while polishing. Thes stripes bugged the crap out of me so I desided to remove the outher AR completely. As the crystal is double coated I figured the inner AR would be enough to give a blueish shine. A outher AR coat on a divers watch is ridiculous anyway right? So I used my dremel and a Cape Cod cloth wrapped around a cotton wheel and voila.... no more outher AR. The result is pretty nice but here comes my dilemma. The blueish shine is almost completely gone. You can now clearly see the (white) crystal due to the reflections which is actually pretty nice althouh I know you guys like the 'dissapearing' crystal.

Now here comes my question; Because the blueish AR shine on a Breitling is sort of a callsign of it's authenticy and not having any blue AR (verry little actually) would sort of make it look like a replica. I would like to know if this would bother you or not?

Edited by Rolexman

I had a somewhat simmilar experiance with my genuine tag heuer, so i know how you feel.

i accidently damaged and seriously scratched the clasp of the bracelet.

I also tried to polish it out with a dremel but it got a high gloss finish. (my watch had a mat finish)

I ended with me buying a new clasp and bracelet.

that was the only thing that took away the pain.

Some gen owners of Breitlings and Omega PO's remove the outer AR coating through personal preference.

Personally I love the way the crystal 'disappears' on the Breitlings, so I would probably look into getting another AR coat. It won't take away from the authenticity though, it's still a Breitling! The only time it might cause a problem is in re-selling it, I'm not sure how many people would actually notice though!

I think you are over thinking it. Your original thought process was correct, and AR on the outside of the crystal is stupid. Its only a matter of time before it becomes scarred. Especially for someone like me that is constantly polishing my watches. If someone were to call out my PO due to its lack of AR, I would simply tell them I removed it due to it constantly marking. What's the point of having a nice hard sapphire crystal when you are going to coat it with such a delicate substance as AR?

I think you are over thinking it. Your original thought process was correct, and AR on the outside of the crystal is stupid. Its only a matter of time before it becomes scarred. Especially for someone like me that is constantly polishing my watches. If someone were to call out my PO due to its lack of AR, I would simply tell them I removed it due to it constantly marking. What's the point of having a nice hard sapphire crystal when you are going to coat it with such a delicate substance as AR?

Ok boys and girls. Here's your textbook answer. The overlord has spoken. You know what to do guys(and gals)...