When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex reps from Thailand

melvin johnson

I just returned from Thailand where I picked up a few replica watches for myself and my friends. THEN I found this great forum and am really enjoying it.

The watches I purchased are all Rolex replicas:

One black/black GMT Master

One cheapie Yacht Master

One higher quality Yacht Master

Two LV Submariners

One black Submariner

Not knowing there were different movements available in these watches at the time, my question is, is there a guide that'll tell me how I can identify what's inside? I've orderd a Rolex back removal tool, so I'll be able to get inside them soon, but I'm not sure what to look for. Also, is weight an indication of anything? All bands are almost identical with same number of links, but the better YM weighs a tad more than the rest.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can also photograph these watches if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

MJ

Not knowing there were different movements available in these watches at the time, my question is, is there a guide that'll tell me how I can identify what's inside? I've orderd a Rolex back removal tool, so I'll be able to get inside them soon, but I'm not sure what to look for. Also, is weight an indication of anything? All bands are almost identical with same number of links, but the better YM weighs a tad more than the rest.

Take the backs off, photograph the insides and people here can tell you at a glance what the movements are.

Two basic movements these days, the Swiss ETA, and the asian 21j Miyota copy movement (Chinese). ETA's are generally better quality, can be serviced and repair parts are available. Asian movements are inexpensive, parts are not available and it's cheap to just replace the movements, which cost $15-20 plus shipping here in the US. Like Pug says, show us some movement pics and we can terll you what you have.

Two basic movements these days, the Swiss ETA, and the asian 21j Miyota copy movement (Chinese). ETA's are generally better quality, can be serviced and repair parts are available.

Hmmm... Reading your comments, it just occurred to me that I don't think I have ever had a Miyota movement fail. Keep poor time, yes. Feel cheap and cheesy and make alot of racket when you interact with them, always. But fail, no. And about half of my ETAs have failed within the first 2 years (often within a few weeks or months). In fact, right now I am wearing a Comex Sub that has been ticking flawlessly (and noisily) for more than 5 years.

Odd but true.