When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

hat's off to cheiftang!

flavor flav

Another noob question I'm afraid: did you send in your entire watch for this process, or did you have to remove the crystal and simply send that to be coated? I'd love to have a couple of my Breitlings done but I have no idea how to remove the crystal from them.

i spoke to a few members and decided that if there is another run. i will gladly remove your crystals and ship to cheiftang then reinstall and ship back if you are not capable to remove them yourself. there will be a bunch so i'd offer $25 per watch + $10 shipping to chieftang + shipping back to you. $35 total per watch for me + whatever the AR coating costs

i spoke to a few members and decided that if there is another run. i will gladly remove your crystals and ship to cheiftang then reinstall and ship back if you are not capable to remove them yourself. there will be a bunch so i'd offer $25 per watch + $10 shipping to chieftang + shipping back to you. $35 total per watch for me + whatever the AR coating costs

Thats a really nice if you would offer that service. I will get back to you on that when the time has arrived...

Cheers !

If there was someone in the UK who offered a crystal removal/refitting service I'd have at least three watches that would require this service. A small business opportunity for someone who knows what they're doing and has the rights tools available?

Something that I have been wondering for a while......

When you receive all of the crystals from the AR run , how do you know who's is who's!! Is it something of a logistical nightmare or is there some simple underlying technique I have overlooked :yu:

If there was someone in the UK who offered a crystal removal/refitting service I'd have at least three watches that would require this service. A small business opportunity for someone who knows what they're doing and has the rights tools available?

I'll be in the UK at the end of the month. I will consider offering this service to cover the cost of my own crystals. :D

No PMs on it yet though, please. :black_eye:

OK, that sounds good. Please update us if you decide you'll offer this service.

Well, it's fairly certain I'll be offering it, but obviously only in the EU. I'll need to sort out what liability I can stand to take as it's not my actual business so I'll not have insurance or anything like that. I doubt broken crystals are likely, though.

• 5 months later...

I'm going to try hard to get in on the next double-AR run to get the Patek Philippe Nautilus double coated. I was supposed to be in on an earlier run, but ended up with an emergency situation that killed my finances. As unheard of as it is to get a watch whose gen doesn't have AR treated for it, I am less concerned with it being noticed as inauthentic as I am with getting it personalized to what I like. That's what it should be all about.

I personally feel that AR coating adds to the appearance of almost any watch. It isn't so much about whether the gen actually has it, for me. I would recommend getting *any* watch that one likes AR coated.

The PP Nautilus is already inaccurate, so why not make it more so? As long as you enjoy it.

I have to get in on these runs at some point too.

It brings up an interesting point, though. The PP dial on the blue one is inaccurate, as well as the caseback not being a display back...and yet we've heard a few stories about people showing them to real watch fanatics- watchmakers, collectors, etc...- and having them be blown away that they're replicas.

This reinforces my theory that the 'finish' and the overall quality of the rep is much more significant to the believability of the watch than is the nuances of the dial or any other such detail that no one outside this board would probably be conscious of. There is so much variation among some of the truly canonized models over time (the vintage subs being a good example) that the minutae really become subjective.

But what doesn't become subjective is the fit and finish. That's where the super reps, and some of the MBW's, really offer a better option...regardless of some of the minor accuracy problems.

That being said, in terms of the Nautilus, AR on that one would probably be a more noticable tell. And yet, with something like a crystal, a lot of people probably wouldn't even notice it unless you told them. The crystal on a watch has a more unconscious effect, IMO. It can greatly add to the presentation of the watch, without the person really being able to put their finger on 'how' the watch looks different or 'better', if they're not actually consciously looking for it.