When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ingenieur vs Mark XV

teddy boy

I got in touch with my supplier regarding the white dial Mark XV and his response was that although he'd be glad to get it for me, the Ingenieur is a much more accurate depiction of the original. I like my supplier and trust him to send what he says, but he does have a dog in this fight since the Ingenieur is $50(almost 25%) more expensive. Any opinion on this subject from the loyal IWC crowd?

This forum is great btw, I found your responses to my other thread very helpful. Hopefully one day I'll know enough to contribute to the knowledge base here.

Overall I agree with Insane's advice.

I myself am partial to the Ingy, and think it is one of the most distinctive watches available. It's also a very substantial, solid watch.

There was a flurry of interest in the Inge when it first came out, fueled in part by a group buy. A number of those watches have appeared on the resale market, so if you are interested in trying it out you might monitor the member resale forum and you can easily save back the premium that your dealer is asking.

Overall I agree with Insane's advice.

I myself am partial to the Ingy, and think it is one of the most distinctive watches available. It's also a very substantial, solid watch.

There was a flurry of interest in the Inge when it first came out, fueled in part by a group buy. A number of those watches have appeared on the resale market, so if you are interested in trying it out you might monitor the member resale forum and you can easily save back the premium that your dealer is asking.

Thanks for all the input, I decide to go with the Ingeneiur. If I can figure out how to take a decent picture with my wife's digital, I post pictures after it arrives.

I have an Ingy chrono. Great heavy watch. It is on heavy rotation and regularly gets wrist time over my Rollies. The two watches are very different watches however. I personally wouldn't wear the XV. If I were to wear an IWC strap model I would opt for the portuguese or fa jones.

If I were to wear an IWC strap model I would opt for the portuguese or fa jones.

I agree, but I tried a Jones and it didn't do it for me. But I would jump on a Portugese if they managed to iron out the reliability issues. I'm no longer holding my breath, though.

I'm not so into the Ingeniuer. I think it's because of the wacky end link design which makes wearing straps not possible (aside from Ingenieur-specific straps). IMHO, the latest Ingenieur has no design inspirations from those earlier beautiful vintage Ingeniuer models. Sometimes "new" is better; but I do not think so in the case of the latest Ingeniuer incarnate.

I also think that the design of the MK XV is timeless and the Mark series in general has a fascinating history to it.

Normally, I agree. I went for the Inge chrono with the black nylon strap. It has a very modern hi tech look, different from other IWC's, but it is a very beautiful watch on the wrist. Lots of presence. If your looking for a vintage look, this ain't it. But if your looking for a beautiful modern watch this one fits the bill. I have all the other IWC's and it's always decisions, decisions on which to wear.

You can't go wrong whichever IWC you choose.