When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Storing watches face down?

teddy boy

I was in a rolex store one day and the salesperson noticed my genuine air king. She suggested that I store the watch face down periodically to make sure that the oils are circulated through the entire watch. Does this makes sense?

... and there was me assuming the last thing you want is for the oils to circulate!

I read somewhere that you shouldn't store watches face down in case the oil seeps through to the face and eats it away, but I'm equally as sceptical of this.

The amount of oil in a properly lubricated mechanical watch is so small that circulation is not possible. You actually want the oil to stay in place in a jeweled bearing and it does this through a capillary action and surface tension. I don't think the service interval for getting your watch cleaned and oiled would be changed very much by position. Oils dry out at a pretty predictable rate but....I'm not the expert here...Ziggy is. Dial up or down storage probably refers to the position a well adjusted watch is optimized for 8 hours a day as far as running regulation...on your night stand off your wrist while you sleep.

The amount of oil in a properly lubricated mechanical watch is so small that circulation is not possible. You actually want the oil to stay in place in a jeweled bearing and it does this through a capillary action and surface tension. I don't think the service interval for getting your watch cleaned and oiled would be changed very much by position. Oils dry out at a pretty predictable rate but....I'm not the expert here...The Zigmeister is. Dial up or down storage probably refers to the position a well adjusted watch is optimized for 8 hours a day as far as running regulation...on your night stand off your wrist while you sleep.

Thanks, this seemed a little bogus to me which is why I asked. It would seem that if this was important, some watch manufacturer would include it in their manual.

The amount of oil in a properly lubricated mechanical watch is so small that circulation is not possible. You actually want the oil to stay in place in a jeweled bearing and it does this through a capillary action and surface tension. I don't think the service interval for getting your watch cleaned and oiled would be changed very much by position. Oils dry out at a pretty predictable rate but....I'm not the expert here...The Zigmeister is. Dial up or down storage probably refers to the position a well adjusted watch is optimized for 8 hours a day as far as running regulation...on your night stand off your wrist while you sleep.

So that last watch I got back from The Zigmeister that had oil dripping out of the crown tube wasn't right? :crazy:

/Tim

No it was right, he just deep fried it to strip off the AR coating like you requested!

Oh THAT explains the fishy aroma I smelled. Damn Canadians. Always slipping some fish or blubber or something into their fryers. And here I thought something was wrong.

....I told The Zigmeister that those whale rinds were disgusting!

/Tim

Edited by Tim

The amount of oil in a properly lubricated mechanical watch is so small that circulation is not possible. You actually want the oil to stay in place in a jeweled bearing and it does this through a capillary action and surface tension. I don't think the service interval for getting your watch cleaned and oiled would be changed very much by position. Oils dry out at a pretty predictable rate but....I'm not the expert here...Ziggy is. Dial up or down storage probably refers to the position a well adjusted watch is optimized for 8 hours a day as far as running regulation...on your night stand off your wrist while you sleep.

Seems as if your the expert, and absouletely correct. Position is irrelevant to the oils and their location in the watch, capillary action holds the miniscule oil amounts in the jewels, it can't move or migrate anywhere else once applied.

A whole watch requires less than a drop of oil for complete lubrication.

RG

Seems as if your the expert, and absouletely correct. Position is irrelevant to the oils and their location in the watch, capillary action holds the miniscule oil amounts in the jewels, it can't move or migrate anywhere else once applied.

A whole watch requires less than a drop of oil for complete lubrication.

RG

Wow, thanks Rob for the kudos! I'm still all thumbs with the micro screwdriver and the eyeglass loupe!!!!

Wow, thanks Rob for the kudos! I'm still all thumbs with the micro screwdriver and the eyeglass loupe!!!!

The responses to this thread made me LOL. I just completed a bike ride where I do my best thinking and the analogy to a car occured to me. We're not talking about a crank case and need for a pump for heavens sake.

The comment about the accutrons reminded me of something that I didn't know until I bought an NOS 218 with its original manual. Bulova recommended changing the position in which you stored the watch to regulate minor imperfections in timing. Storing it tilted forward tended to speed it up a bit, tilted backward had the reverse effect. That may be old news on this forum, but I found it interesting.

I was in a rolex store one day and the salesperson noticed my genuine air king. She suggested that I store the watch face down periodically to make sure that the oils are circulated through the entire watch. Does this makes sense?

You should not rely on the advice of a wristwatch salesperson who sells Rolex watches unless they also happen to be a trained Rolex technician. This person clearly gave you wrong information. It is good you posted here as there are many very knowledgeable members who can steer you right. This is a great topic.

• 2 weeks later...
The only watch where this could be relevant is the Accutron 214 or 218. And this has nothing to do with the oils - it has to do with gravity upon the tuning fork pawls agains the main gear.

I have a vintage Accutron I no longer wear; it only needs a battery. Is there possibly a buyer out there?

And people feel the need to try to fool these people with their reps?

This is where the little red straw that comes with WD-40 is handy. Just loosen the crown, place the straw in the crown tube and let her rip. You gotta be quick to tighten the crown before any leaks out though. I find it best to limit yourself to about a half a can per application.

I have a vintage Accutron I no longer wear; it only needs a battery. Is there possibly a buyer out there?

Finding a buyer for an accutron depends alot on what you have. Is it a 214 or a 218? The 214 models are generally worth a bit more. Is it anything special (e.g. spaceview, astronaut, assymetric, rr approved etc). I would have to say that accutrons are not exactly "hot" right now.

I think she was trying to suggest something else....

Was she hot?

;) So that's how you sell watches without being a VIP member - you just slip your ad in the middle of a thread !! :whistling:

Pssst !! - anyone want to buy an SMP ?? ;):whistling:

Edited by Fireman_Fred