When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP or SMP Chrono?

jomama

I am considering ordering ordering one of these from Josh. I will have it waterproofed by him as I plan on wearing swimming etc. ( I live in Scottsdale so we live in the pool most of the year). Both have good points and bad. Any help out there to help decision??

SMP

Good

Great size (can wear with suit as Chrono is thicker and too sporty)

Great movement ETA

"bond" watch

Bad

Pearl not as good as Chrono

not as flashy..

SMP Chrono

Good

Better pearl

great rep compared to gen

Bad

Movement "shakey"

Too thick to waer as dress watch

I have both, and must say that I prefer the regular SMP. See the link to my review, where I compare those two, in my signature.

The regular should also be easier to waterproof since the chrono has two additional holes in the case. :)

chrgod:

I read your review and comparison and is where I picked up much of my knowledge about these watches. Thanks! I am leaning toward SMP but Pearl is bugging me.

B16a2:

Did you get your bezel good out of box or have to do mod. If good from dealer who was dealer?

Jeff g:

Appreciate your caution but I think your concerns are dated. They make these pretty good now and feel some are waterproof out of box. I have had LV reps in pools with no mods or "waterproofing" with no problems. 5 years ago I might not consider. Besides, not that much money is it?

Smalls:

Do you know something I don't? Is there an updated SMP due. Only adjustment I can see them doing is bezel pearl alignment and pearl itself.

Thanks all!

I am considering ordering ordering one of these from Josh. I will have it waterproofed by him as I plan on wearing swimming etc. ( I live in Scottsdale so we live in the pool most of the year).

Just a little forewarning.... If you look at the waterproofing service on Josh's site it says the watch will "withstand pressue testing of 5 atm.. 50 meters..." If you then go onto Wikopedia and read there, it says "A watch rated 50 Meters is expected to survive immersion without pressure such as being worn while washing up dishes."

SO with that being said, I would be EXTREMELY careful about wearing your watch swimming if its a watch you care about...

Just a little forewarning.... If you look at the waterproofing service on Josh's site it says the watch will "withstand pressue testing of 5 atm.. 50 meters..." If you then go onto Wikopedia and read there, it says "A watch rated 50 Meters is expected to survive immersion without pressure such as being worn while washing up dishes."

SO with that being said, I would be EXTREMELY careful about wearing your watch swimming if its a watch you care about...

When I was younger, I had several Casios that were rated 50 meters, and swam in them weekly. I never once had a problem with one leaking. I think the wikipedia is being a tad conservative. If I remember, the instruction manuals rated a 50 m watch as suitable for light splashes, dish washing, swimming and snorkling, but not for high diving or scuba diving. Given those were warranty instructions, (thus legally enforceable if the watch was to leak) I'd trust those over the wikipedia :)

Guys:

I know the bezel alignment has been an issue on the Omega's. I went to Omega's website and pulled their picture of the SMP GMT and was shocked to find what I see as a misaligned bezel.

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=2...&no_cache=1

I am also considering the SMP GMT but don't trust accuracy of display caseback (if anyone has insights as to how accurate Josh's caseback is on his GMT I would appreciate it).

Thanks!

When I say update, I mean the '07 SMP with seamaster written in red. Here's a link to pic of gen

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=2...&no_cache=1

Not sure if or when it's coming out, but hopefully it's in the pipeline (seems to be a lot of interest for it). I ordered the SMP GMT from Andrew for the time being. It's the Asian with the wrong caseback, but I don't mind, because it's not the accurate movement anyways and the Asian looks great!

I had both for a short time. To me, the Chrono was a MUCH better looking rep. The dial was way better, and the case is much closer to gen than the regular SMP rep. Overall, it's just a much better looking watch. I ended up giving the SMP to my brother and the Chrono to my dad as I bought a gen 2250.50.

All that said, you can't really go wrong with either model.

SR

B16a2:

Did you get your bezel good out of box or have to do mod. If good from dealer who was dealer?

I got mine from TTK and he kindly aligns the bezels before shipping them, a great dealer!

Ask yourself this question:

"Will I actually use the chrono functions?"

If you wouldn't actually use them, go with the SMP. If you would, go for the chrono

Good point!

However, I never use the chrono functions on any of my watches, but the subdials add a different look to this watch over the standard one which I think makes it look better. That's just my view of the watch. Contrary to this, I prefer the standard Planet Ocean to the chrono version. Personal taste at the end of the day. :)

what part of the bezel is mis-aligned? is the insert not aligned with the faceting? I haven't looked into this issue to know.

If you look at the bezel here you can see that the bezel has flat, and peaked parts on the outter part of the bezel. Notice at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock position, it is flat..

221420-14359.jpg

Now similarly at the same points notice here that it has a peak instead (this is the correct alignment for the Omega Seamaster....

221420-14360.jpg

The only thing putting me off buying both the smp in both chrono and non chrono is the screws instead of pins in the bracelet, hopefully there might be an update seeing as the PO has the correct bracelet. The rest of the faults i could live with.

I would go with the SMP, movement is more reliable, easier to waterproof. I used to have one, it's a great watch. As far as the screws in the bracelet it just means you can adjust it yourself and who on earth is going to be asking you about the pins v screws in your bracelet!? Well apart from if you meet someone from this board!

Looks like that does it boys. Its the SMP for me. Now I have to decide which dealer. Any insights? The only issue I will have a hard time resolving is the pearl. I can fix the bezel alignment pretty easy.

If someone thinks one dealer has a better SMP over another, please chime in. Otherwise it will probaby be Josh for me as I think they are all from the same factory.

You really don't notice the screws. The screws are only attaching the case to the bracelet, and then further around where the adjustment links can be removed, and these ones you hardly see.

I have an SMP Chrono and a 2006 007 Special Edition. Both have screws instead of pins and on both, I've had pins unscrew themselves (while I've been wearing them), luckily I've spotted them before they fell out completely! Has anyone else had this problem and is there any way of preventing it? :g: