When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch sales in the forum...

elprimerozen

I see from time to time some members that sell a USED watch for more $$$ ...and we can find the same watch easy at low price brand new with out a single scratch!!!....for example:

Lets say we have a watch that new is on our dealers for 250$ shiped!

And the member who will sell the watch say:

1.I have made waterproof test 30$

2.I have fully serviced the movement 100$

3.I have regulate the movement 30$

4.....and it goes on and on

So i have spend for this watch 410$ i will let it go for 320$ :black_eye:

And all these for an easy to find ordinary USED watch....not a hard to find MBW or DW....BUT AN USED WATCH!!

I personaly seviced my Gen watches many many times..and i have spent many many $$$ on them..if i will sell them i can not ask more money for the services or something else....i have to ask a fair price for the watch that i will sell!

What do you people have to say??

Regards.

Grg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good point

Pugwash and me have discusses same thing last month

Yes Tourbi its agood point......all this work on a rep watch can only help you to sell it fasterthan other members will sell the same watch.

You will pay extra money for example if you have a new decorated movement or something gen on the watch.

2.I have fully serviced the movement 100$

If you were going to have the movement serviced, then yes, you can pay extra for a pre-serviced watch - don't forget, the first service isn't the same as the second, third or fourth. If it's an ETA 2836 or Seagull, I'd not see that as added value, however.

It all comes down to what added value is acceptable. To me, it's only worth it if it's stuff I was going to pay for in the first place.

If you were going to have the movement serviced, then yes, you can pay extra for a pre-serviced watch - don't forget, the first service isn't the same as the second, third or fourth. If it's an ETA 2836 or Seagull, I'd not see that as added value, however.

It all comes down to what added value is acceptable. To me, it's only worth it if it's stuff I was going to pay for in the first place.

Maybe.....but the service in my opinion can help you only to be close to the price of the new watch...not above it!

A sale matches a seller and buyer. Some prefer the used watch because it will have already passed inspection. Compare that to a rep from a dropship dealer and I would take the used watch any time. It many cases, it does not make any difference if the price is a little higher since as long as the buyer accepts the offer - two people make the deal. It is a win - win situation.

Usil

Edited by Usil

A sale matches a seller and buyer. Some prefer the used watch because it will have already passed inspection. Compare that to a rep from a dropship dealer and I would take the used watch any time. It many cases, it does not make any difference if the price is a little higher since as long as the buyer accepts the offer - two people make the deal. It is a win - win situation.

Usil

I think its very very good for the buyer to buy a watch that its allready inspected from the member that has the watch......but you will never know when a watch is going to give you a problem.

Btw the think is that we have to be more reasonable about the money we are going to ask...thats the only thing.

Regards!

Maybe.....but the service in my opinion can help you only to be close to the price of the new watch...not above it!

You're assuming the watches arrive from the dealer serviced. I'd pay more for a The Zigmeister-serviced 7750 than a non-serviced one. If, for instance, I were to sell my IWC GST Chrono (Gen dial, The Zigmeister-serviced) on this forum, I'd start at $500 and go down. That's a ridiculous price by any stretch of the imagination, but I bet I'd get between $400 and $450 for it.

If the standard rep was inspected, serviced, super lumed, water proof, saphire crystal and good AR coating I would readily pay a higher price. Why don't the dealers do this? It is not like this has gone un-noticed in our discussions for the past year.

Usil

Edited by Usil

I think its very very good for the buyer to buy a watch that its allready inspected from the member that has the watch......but you will never know when a watch is going to give you a problem.

Btw the think is that we have to be more reasonable about the money we are going to ask...thats the only thing.

Regards!

Paying a premium for discontinued models seems OK to me--I wish I had one of the good 36's, 186's, or swiss Conquistadors to sell at the moment. I've also paid a premium for a watch with no other work done aside from a movement service by one of our well know smiths...after verifying that the work was actually done. But I usually laugh when I read the "I serviced the movement!" offers--like I'm going to pay more watch that has been taken apart and put together by someone who's watchsmithing experience is finishing 2/3 of the TZ home study program, or more likely by no one outside of the seller's imagination.

Like any other purchase, the buyer always needs to do thorough DD. I'd say if a seller can't prove the service was done by trusted smith the buyer should make a counter offer for a reasonable used watch price. If that's rejected just move along, buy new, and take the watch to your own smith when you get it. Then ask $780 when you resell.

i have done it twice - Once with a relume and 100 dollar strap

once with a palp crown -

considerable value.

The watch is as new conidition - and if you want it with a relume or a palp crown - then your saving yourself a [censored] load of money -AND you run the risk of getting a dud from the dealer AND i take paypal AND if in the US no customs risk - its pretty clear that duds and customs cost customers something with all the complaining lately.

I can see with mods like cg adjusting - I don't think you can charge for a servicing but, i think that ads value to the sale.

the price is based upon the value of the item. Some people value some aspects, others value others.

CLEARLY the people that are buying the watches find value or they would just go to Perfect Clones and get it.

What i can never understand is why someone would sell a used watch for 150 or more that Silix sells for 150 or less. :)

I don't think you can charge for a servicing but, i think that ads value to the sale.

What i can never understand is why someone would sell a used watch for 150 or more that Silix sells for 150 or less. :)

Im with you on these!!! All gen,generic,or aftermarket parts must be charged more......nothing else!

I think people should be able to put whatever price they want, as long as they're not scamming newbs, then it's up to the buyer to make an offer and pay what he/she is happy with, from what I've seen if it's too expensive it usually sits there until the seller gets realistic and drops the price anyway, I don't think we can start dictating what people can and can't charge for their watches etc. Just my 2p worth.

Generally, I agree with the above sentiments. However, this is between the seller and the buyer. If there is something unique about the watch and it costs a few dollars more, I might buy it.

If you don't agree, fine, don't buy it. if the seller doesn't find a buyer he'll probably lower the price. His call........not yours.

the market will determind the price. If it is too high, noone will buy it......simple.

I suggest we don't delete those post after the item is sold so a potential buyers/sellers can search for the average and fair mkt price from the similar items....just put a "sold" next to it so ppl know which post to look for.