When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone thought to mod their subs like this.....

Justasgood

O.k., so we all want the reps to look Gen right? We have identified so many tells and give aways that regardless of the manufactured product, we can pretty much mod and fix most all of the inherent flaws.

But, I don't recall seeing this tell/giveaway addressed in this manner.

Take a good look at this picture:

224265-13634.jpg

Note at the 30 minute marker of the insert and the recess. It is a time consuming, finger burning mod, but it eliminates another issue and the good news.....you don't have to modify the insert. Best of all, after this mod, the insert usually snaps in and is kept in place without any adhesive....just like the Gen.

A few more pics of my Ultimately modded non MBW Sub.

Mods done:

Full case work to give the vintage look and feel

Full CG mod

Gen Crown/Tube

Gen style aftermarket 3 piece bezel assembly (Push down to turn just like the Gen)

Gen gasket

Re-lumed dial and hands (still looking to perfect this area of my modding)

A few more pics:

224265-13635.jpg

224265-13636.jpg

224265-13637.jpg

224265-13638.jpg\

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

Kurt.

So does the edge work burnish the insert, increasing its diameter slightly, making a tighter fit?

Ooh, good take. It pushes the inside up to the rim?

With my under-the-bezel CG mod (I doubt I invented it, as I know Kurt also does it) and Kurt's Bezel job, looks like new tricks abound!

Ooh, good take. It pushes the inside up to the rim?

With my under-the-bezel CG mod (I doubt I invented it, as I know Kurt also does it) and Kurt's Bezel job, looks like new tricks abound!

Speaking of the "PugMod", here is the latest I am doing for a member just waiting on the Crown/Tube to complete:

224466-13609.jpg

224466-13610.jpg

224466-13611.jpg

A pic of my Sub-Dweller For Chris' view of a Clark SuperDome Tropic 39:

224466-13612.jpg

Very nice work, Kurt!

Which bezel are you starting with? I've often thought of doing similar to my TW. The issue with the TW bezel has more to do with it sloping upward which necessitates shaving the gen insert almost paper thin so it will lay flat. With the insert shaved ( another exercise in patience :) ) if fits fine. It would also improve the fit by working the lip so it's a tad deeper as you have done.

On the MBW vintage type bezel, the gen insert should snap right in so modding is not necassary. A nice polish is all this one needs.

The Clark superdome looks darn good!

Very nice work, Kurt!

Which bezel are you starting with? I've often thought of doing similar to my TW. The issue with the TW bezel has more to do with it sloping upward which necessitates shaving the gen insert almost paper thin so it will lay flat. With the insert shaved ( another exercise in patience :) ) if fits fine. It would also improve the fit by working the lip so it's a tad deeper as you have done.

On the MBW vintage type bezel, the gen insert should snap right in so modding is not necassary. A nice polish is all this one needs.

The Clark superdome looks darn good!

The Picture of the 5512 is a watch I picked up here from a member for $125.00. I have made this mod to MBW's, Basic Subs with the retaining wire, the 16610 you see with the stamped double tab ring for the click function.

Even with the upward slope of the TW Bezel, you could take it down and recess the bezel lip so the amount of work to a gen insert would be minimal if non-existent.

Thanks for the compliments and yes, the Clark Superdome is worth every penny of the $60.00+ price.

Hiya Kurt-

Hmmmm... Interesting find... Though the gen vintage insert in my MBW bezel sits slightly recessed without mods already and snaps in- No glue or tape necessary... Perhaps this is for the non-MBW's only?

The only insert/bezel combo I've had to muck with was for the modern 16610's- Since the gen inserts are much deeper than the reps, those take some work to get them to sit right (height wise)...

Still- Very nice job as always! Keep up the great work :)

this is really interesting, I tried this on an old 16610 that I have about a year ago. I use a dremel first to make the bezel thinner so the insert will not have to be touch.

I was going on the right direction but I got tired and give up.

I need to take this back and do it again.

thanks

Hiya Kurt-

Hmmmm... Interesting find... Though the gen vintage insert in my MBW bezel sits slightly recessed without mods already and snaps in- No glue or tape necessary... Perhaps this is for the non-MBW's only?

The only insert/bezel combo I've had to muck with was for the modern 16610's- Since the gen inserts are much deeper than the reps, those take some work to get them to sit right (height wise)...

Still- Very nice job as always! Keep up the great work :)

Thanks Ubi....My MBW inserts sit flush not recessed so it doesn't take much. The non-MBW's take more time.

Please PM me regarding Silver datewheels

Thanks,

Kurt.