When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica vintage watches?

teddy boy

A friend of mine keeps pointing to vintage watches on ebay that he thinks are in too perfect condition and claiming that they must be reps. My response is that other than reps of some very specific models where the original sells for tens of thousands of dollars, I know of no reps for vintage watches. The watches we're talking about here are things like Omega Seamasters and Constellations from the 1950s and 1960s. My argument is that there isn't a big enough market to justify producing reps for these type watches and that the originals don't sell for enough to justify copying them. Does anyone know if there are reps of the 50's-70s omegas and such?

Many of the SM300s are Frankenwatches rather than outright fakes. Cobbled together with all sorts of different gen and dubious parts from the cheap bin. Usually they throw in an inaccurate, but gen movement, to fool the masses. Depends on the popularity - of which the 300 may be the most sought after.

Edited by hottoddy

Many of the SM300s are Frankenwatches rather than outright fakes. Cobbled together with all sorts of different gen and dubious parts from the cheap bin. Usually they throw in an inaccurate, but gen movement, to fool the masses. Depends on the popularity - of which the 300 may be the most sought after.

What you're saying would have been my suspicion. It's not so much that there are reps of these watches but rather watches that were cobbled together from different model watches of the same gen manufacturer.

There are tons of vintage frankens that pass under the radar on eBay. The practice of cobbling parts to make watch and then selling it as geniune REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

The military SM300 frankens are old news. The latest wave of outright fakes I see all the time are the vintage Blancpain dive watches (50 Fathoms, Aqualung, etc). This includes the infamous Tornek-Rayville variations. SHAME on the sellers. And, of course: buyer beware!

Arrrgh!!!

No wonder I disappeared for so long. It's better to comb the halls of camera collecing, 12" LP digging and vintage audio gear restoration...

PS. I did not even mention all the contention as of late in the rep world either. That is a whole different story...

I myself don't see anything wrong with frankens as long as they are accurately described as such. I enjoy building frankens for myself; it's one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby for me. But, I don't pass them off as genuine, which is the problem that most on eBay seem to fall into.

I myself don't see anything wrong with frankens as long as they are accurately described as such. I enjoy building frankens for myself; it's one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby for me. But, I don't pass them off as genuine, which is the problem that most on eBay seem to fall into.

I agree Ubi. I was directing this towards the sellers who pass off these frankens as genuine items. There are some of these eBay items that really don't sell for much money. But then there are serious high-ticket items in which folks are getting scammed. It seems like more and more scammers are 'out & about'.

How much do you get for one of your Disco Balls?

/Tim

Big bucks! :lol: