When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 6263 Daytona

Mickey Padge

This is my most prized watch for sure :)

It has been in the most capable hands of repaustria (Oliver). He installed a new dial and hands set for me. I was lucky enough to get the parts straight from DW after he replied to my email. The original dial was not in the best condition, neither were the hands. It has a genuine Rolex crystal installed too, the gen tropic makes a big difference to the watch.

Anyway here are some wrist shots for you all to look over, let me know your thoughts B)

226564-13103.jpg

226564-13104.jpg

226564-13105.jpg

The original dial was the first revision, so I was told. I think the Rolex Crown was positioned too high on the dial with that version. Also the chronograph second hand was black, whereas this new version is silver with a white tip. I believe this is more accurate?

I would be very grateful if Ubi could give me his expert opinion :thumbsupsmileyanim: ubiquitous where are you! ^_^

Cheers! :D

Guest RiverwindMDS

It has been in the most capable hands of repaustria (Oliver). He installed a new dial and hands set for me. I was lucky enough to get the parts straight from DW after he replied to my email. The original dial was not in the best condition, neither were the hands. It has a genuine Rolex crystal installed too, the gen tropic makes a big difference to the watch.

Anyway here are some wrist shots for you all to look over, let me know your thoughts B)

226573-13099.jpg

226573-13100.jpg

226573-13101.jpg

The original dial was the first revision, so I was told. I think the Rolex Crown was positioned too high on the dial with that version. Also the chronograph second hand was black, whereas this new version is silver with a white tip. I believe this is more accurate?

I would be very grateful if Ubi could give me his expert opinion :thumbsupsmileyanim: ubiquitous where are you! ^_^

Cheers! :D

The hands set is accurate enough.

How much did you pay for the dial and hands set?

MP-

Your 6263 looks GREAT! The hands set is correct- Black sub hands with silver center secs. The dial looks quite good- Nice position of the coronet!

All in all, a great example of a vintage Cosmo... What's ticking away inside?

Thanks for posting Ubi, I am grateful for your insight and opinion :)

The watch has the mystery movement, I have found out very little about it through searching the forums. Oliver told me not to mess with the chronos, or wind the watch fully, as it stresses the movement out.

Any other tips you could give would fall on welcome ears/eyes :p in particular to the movement inside ^_^

Ahhhh... I myself have not had much luck with the mystery movement. On my beloved 6263, I went through 3 - 4 movements, each of them with faults before swapping to the Swiss V23 to finally solve my troubles.

On the flip side, I also had a gorgeous PN 6263 with a perfectly running/winding fully ziggied movement that I ended up selling to kruzer00. To this day, it's still running flawlessly... So, sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

I would agree with Oli- Don't use the stopwatch too much, and I would also suggest the swap out to a genuine 24-703 Triplock crown and 7030 tube. The crowns that these watches come with aren't always the best- They tend to fail at the spring, and sometimes break free (hence resulting in what might feel like slipping when winding). Aside from that, you'll also benefit from having the Triplock in the numerous threading/unthreading when winding.

Aside from that, you'll also benefit from having the Triplock in the numerous threading/unthreading when winding.

Thanks for the info, could you please explain that last sentence? I don't quite follow, sorry.

The actual crown on my 6263 feels very solid, the winding is firm and there is pressure feeding back when winding. It feels very well sprung and there is no slipping noticable........ . . . yet, fingers crossed :)

If the fault you describe were to occur, would replacing the crown and tube at that point be plausible?

Cheers :D

I meant from the wear and tear of having to frequently unscrew the crown from the tube to wind the watch. Daily winding can cause those threads to wear down quickly...

If your current crown isn't giving you trouble, then you can certainly leave as-is. But, I must say... Having the gen crown and tube is a huge imporvement, both in aesthetics and feel. Definitely a good, functional upgrade...

Also the chronograph second hand was black, whereas this new version is silver with a white tip. I believe this is more accurate?

Beautiful watch, and the hand looks correct.

All of my Rolex books show the watch with a silver hand with white tip. I agree with Ubi about the crown and crown tube. The gen parts are more defined and have a smoother and more solid feel when used. The threads inside the crown and on the case tube are also much stronger and should last alot longer than the rep parts. You should be able to pick up a good Triplock crown for $20-$30 and a new Swiss-made aftermarket case tube pack for about the same on the 'bay. Most watch parts houses (Ofrei, Cas-Ker, Jules Borel, etc.) also sell the case tubes (but not the crowns), if you want another option.

Both silver and black long seconds hands were used on OEM. It was more common though to have silver with black dial, and black with silver dial (for obvious reasons). Rolex used parts randomly, it all depended upon what was in the parts cache at the time of construction.

As mentioned before, be careful with that mystery movement.

Both silver and black long seconds hands were used on OEM. It was more common though to have silver with black dial, and black with silver dial (for obvious reasons). Rolex used parts randomly, it all depended upon what was in the parts cache at the time of construction.

As mentioned before, be careful with that mystery movement.

Thanks for the info :)

I plan to treat the watch with great care, I will only wear it rarely. It is most definitely NOT my daily beater :p

Thanks for the input. I can't seem to find the crown at a good price. Look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Rolex-Daytona-...VQQcmdZViewItem

$140 with delivery! :thumbdown:

I have not purchased any new crowns (only used), but that seems overpriced to me. As a gauge, last year I bought 10 Triplock crowns from a single seller on the 'bay for $120. Condition good to mint. It turned out that I received a mixture of different versions of the Triplocks (the location of the three dots below the coronet varies). I did a bit of crown research just before I replaced the crowns on my rep Daytona 1165xx's and found that the dots on the Triplock crowns used on most of the current Daytona 1165xx series are a bit further away from the coronet than they are on the Triplock crowns used on modern Subs. It is hard to explain, but if you look at the crown side of the Daytona 116509 on the Rolex website or at a local Rolex store, you will see what I am talking about. Anyway, 3 of the crowns I got turned out to be this type so that is what I used on the Daytonas. I have not checked recently, but there are usually alot of Triplock crowns, both new and used, for sale on the 'bay.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guy, i am in the hunt for a rolex cosmograph (vintage model #6263) replica

i was watching andrews, joshua and paul webs , and found some difference between the models like the stop and reset buttons, and the position of the subdials (or the size i am not sure), which one is the best please help if you can!!!

thanks