When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Orange hand "McQueen" Explorer II's getting expensive

By-Tor

Yep.....and yet I have the 1655 'Steve McQueen" Explorer II....in MBW form for just $350.00.......isn't it great that I can put a shameless plug up here.....:lol:

227088-12986.jpg

227088-12987.jpg

227088-12988.jpg

The reason why it is so collectible now is because it didnt sell very well when launched, which I can understand. I had a gen until recently, mainly because it was the type of watch one "has to have" in a vintage sports rolex collection. However, I decided to sell it simply because it is actually rather ugly watch and all the different indexes also make it a bit difficult to see the time. I prefered my gen 1665 over my 1655 so much that the 1655 never got any wrist time.

I have never seen a 1655 rail dial. Do you have any info about this watch. My 1665 has it, and one come across it rather often on that model, but the 1655 I have never seen. If you have more info I would be happy to look at it.

BT- The 1655 has been around the $12k to $14k range for a while now (depending on dial type- Standard vs. Rail)... Easily over the past 12 months.

The ones to start watching are the 5512, 5513 and 1675. I'd say 1680's, but those are already on the move...

Ubi knew that I would agree with this comment! I've been saying this for a few years now to folks who want to diversify/ameliorate their price point index within their watch portfolio.

It happend long ago with 1016 (which is sagging as of last year). To look back on popular models, prices have been silly since our favorite Italians and Middle East Satraps scooped them all up in the early 90s. I am specifically referring to 62XX seriesand 1655.

Is the 1655 worth all that money? Hell no! It's a silly watch with an awkward layout that makes no sense. Do I want one? Hell yes!

I believe that the 1655 would've been a lot more successful if the bezel was rotateable.

PS. TTK: very nice watch - in fact, that is one of my favorite watches that I don't own *hint *hint *hint I've been waiting for MBW 1655 for too long!

PSS. Edited for seriously ridiculous spelling errors. Maybe it's the hangover... :wacko:

Edited by Eunomians

I have never seen a 1655 rail dial. Do you have any info about this watch. My 1665 has it, and one come across it rather often on that model, but the 1655 I have never seen. If you have more info I would be happy to look at it.

The 1655 rail is a Stern manufactured dial, as are all 'rails'. These have been found in 1655's up to the 5M s/n's...

227380-12896.jpg

Guest RiverwindMDS
The 1655 rail is a Stern manufactured dial, as are all 'rails'. These have been found in 1665's up to the 5M s/n's...

227384-12895.jpg

Hi ubi, how accurate is the 1655 from MBW?

TTK, can you post more photos?

Hi ubi, how accurate is the 1655 from MBW?

TTK, can you post more photos?

I am hesitant to say without having seen one of the MBW 1655s in person. Based on the pics, there are some details that make me doubt that this particular MBW will accept gen parts in the same manner that the 1680 and 1665's would. The dial/crystal/bezel are all quite large in diameter on the gen; the MBW seems to be a bit smaller.

None the less- The MBW looks great, highlighted by Neil's fantastic photography skills. Depending on your level of expectation, this could be a great watch...

Guest RiverwindMDS
I am hesitant to say without having seen one of the MBW 1655s in person. Based on the pics, there are some details that make me doubt that this particular MBW will accept gen parts in the same manner that the 1680 and 1665's would. The dial/crystal/bezel are all quite large in diameter on the gen; the MBW seems to be a bit smaller.

None the less- The MBW looks great, highlighted by Neil's fantastic photography skills. Depending on your level of expectation, this could be a great watch...

If it can accept gen parts it could be ok, otherwise not...

Problem with these 1655 reps is mainly that the rep-crystal is made for 1680/5513 cases so when one is trying to fit a gen 1655 crystal it's to wide. It took me forever, using special glue and o-rings to fit it =(

Also I think the lume on most rep hands are too wide compared to the gen, wished they'd fix this too =(

The MBW 1655 probably has exactly the same problem as Trustys 188$ one

Aha, nice to see a 1655 thread is open again and quelle surprise....Euno is here ;):lol:

Even though I feel I've gone over this time and time again, there's some interesting opinions here.....that the 1655 is an awkward, ugly model that deserved to die in infancy....that the prices gens command are ridiculous due to it's 'perceived' rarity (controlled to some extent of course, by aforementioned cartel of collectors)....it's one for the watch box/safe queens rather than the wrist...that despite these 'faults' it's still got that 70s cool retro thing going.....and that we all want one!!!

Neil's (MBK?) 1655 looks interesting...wonder if it is the same as Ken's been peddling for a while now? :g:

I bought an Orange Hand in 1978 because I was tired of seeing my 1675 on everybody else.

It was and is unusual. But I really got to like the fixed bezel and It just seems "right sized" for my rather small wrist. I don't wear it as much any more but still enjoy looking at that big orange hand.

I'm not aware of Ken?? Can you give us some details?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jimster, I'll trade you my OEM '67 5513 and my OEM '66 1675 for your 1655 :D

And I'm very serious.

228661-12655.jpg

Thanks for the offer but I have to pass. I've got a 5513 with an old fold over bracelet, gilt hands, and well used. My 1675 is long gone. In the 80's I used it as partial trade for a yellow president which I subsequently used for a trade for an 18k Sub with a very blue gone to purple dial.

I really love the NATO strap on the 5513. I've got one for a Seamaster 300, 165.024 that I'm finishing as we speak.

You've got two sweet watches!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

ah, i actually had a rep of this as my very first rep. i loved it, it kept good time, but the flaw was that it was too new (markers being pure white) and the crystal being mineral, and pretty much it looked brand new. got it in vietnam. loved it until the rotor literally unscrewed and fell off.

That's funny, my first rep wa basically the same watch! It still runs like a champ. It's got a glossy dial, mineral crystal, poor date font, etc... But I still have it because it reminds me that there's still no damn excellent 1655 rep yet!.

Anyhow, I bought the 1655 in Japan many many years go. The watch still looks new.

Cheers.