When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why not quartz, like my wife's gen TAG?

thatgrip

So here's a question for which I hope I'm not slammed. My wife has a gen TAG Link quartz. So I'm wondering. What with all the sob stories of autos which are doa or have immediate need of adjustment/lubrication for a pretty significant fee, where are the quartz reps? I know there is cachet in buying an automatic watch. But, hey, we're all trying to perform the "Rolex drape" to varying degrees. At some level, I don't care if my watch has the sexiest movement. I want something reliable that looks authentic. Quartz. Before you scream, yes I like autos as well. There is something super cool about having a real mechanical device, one that truly replicates a beautiful original. I am also lazy-batteries cater to that.

So, how about it? If the genuine article is quartz, why should I pay MORE for an automatic which is guaranteed to be less accurate and likely to have problems a quality quartz unit will never have.

Chris

ps that Ferrari being discussed on the board the last few days is absolutely gorgeous. I don't care if teeny tiny hamsters make it run.

So here's a question for which I hope I'm not slammed. My wife has a gen TAG Link quartz. So I'm wondering. What with all the sob stories of autos which are doa or have immediate need of adjustment/lubrication for a pretty significant fee, where are the quartz reps? I know there is cachet in buying an automatic watch. But, hey, we're all trying to perform the "Rolex drape" to varying degrees. At some level, I don't care if my watch has the sexiest movement. I want something reliable that looks authentic. Quartz. Before you scream, yes I like autos as well. There is something super cool about having a real mechanical device, one that truly replicates a beautiful original. I am also lazy-batteries cater to that.

So, how about it? If the genuine article is quartz, why should I pay MORE for an automatic which is guaranteed to be less accurate and likely to have problems a quality quartz unit will never have.

Chris

ps that Ferrari being discussed on the board the last few days is absolutely gorgeous. I don't care if teeny tiny hamsters make it run.

You pay whatever you want for what you want. No body really cares!

Two of the most popular replicated watches, the Tag Link and the Omega Seamaster are offered by their respective companies in both formats.

All I can do to illuminate the appeal of mechanical watch ownership to the true afficianatos is to offer an analogy. I love watching 12 meter class yacht racing. The skill and teamwork of a racing crew onboard a beautifully engineered, fimely tuned racing boat as it slices the seas gets my blood pumping. Does it lessen the experience one bit knowing that a guy on a Jet Ski could cover the same course twice as fast at a fraction of the cost????? Not a bit. Am I excited by a passion to watch Jet Ski racing??? Not even a little.

Watch technology was driven for years by the quest for the ultimate in accuracy. The quartz watch forever changed the rules and expectations and in a way, freed up the mechanical artists to create marvelous beauty. A perfectly engineered mechanical chronometer has a personality. A Casio Quartz is souless.

A chess match between two brilliant grand Masters is no less a study in fantastic multi level human intellect just because Deep Blue can wipe the floor with both of them.

OK....off the soap box!!!

I'll speak out on behalf of many like Chris....... Soul smoul. you produce a quartz that is a spot on rep, with an extremely reliable movement and watch the sales. Yes there are many that love the mechanics of the reps.... but let's say you love the Daytona's.... the movement with correct sub spacing and correct running seconds is a definite draw back...... definitly in the Asians..... you provide a quartz or like movement that gives you the gen features with out all the extra gears.... you think it wont sell because it lacks soul.... don't be silly.

Daytona was just and example..... please don't reply with how much draw it be on a quartz blablabla...just a for instance

I'll speak out on behalf of many like Chris....... Soul smoul. you produce a quartz that is a spot on rep, with an extremely reliable movement and watch the sales. Yes there are many that love the mechanics of the reps.... but let's say you love the Daytona's.... the movement with correct sub spacing and correct running seconds is a definite draw back...... definitly in the Asians..... you provide a quartz or like movement that gives you the gen features with out all the extra gears.... you think it wont sell because it lacks soul.... don't be silly.

Daytona was just and example..... please don't reply with how much draw it be on a quartz blablabla...just a for instance

Nice way to introduce yourself. So I guess your point is that if someone produced a lights out replica of a mechanical watch that was indistinguishable from the genuine article and dropped a quartz movement in it and sold it for a song, say $50, sales would be through the roof?

Two words for you.....well OK 4 words for you but I'll only type two...Canal Street. It's been done for years. They are produced by the hundreds of thousands and yes....you are correct, they sell like hotcakes. Last time I looked, the replica state of the art discussed here was a little more highbrow.

I have a quartz Tag as well.

Tag Heuer 2000

I have had it for a long time and it is very accurate. I can put it on knowing that the time is correct.

But, I can't do anything with it. I don't get to pull the crown out and wind it. I can't listen to the rotor spin, watch the intricate gears move, or impress my friends with a non-ticking seconds hand. If I only wanted to know the time, I would look at my cell phone, computer, car stereo, etc.

I have a quartz Tag as well.

Tag Heuer 2000

I have had it for a long time and it is very accurate. I can put it on knowing that the time is correct.

But, I can't do anything with it. I don't get to pull the crown out and wind it. I can't listen to the rotor spin, watch the intricate gears move, or impress my friends with a non-ticking seconds hand. If I only wanted to know the time, I would look at my cell phone, computer, car stereo, etc.

Now thats a quartz with some soul. Nice battle scars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it more highbrow? hmmm.... are all people who have Tags posers and don't apreciate the watch world??? Miguel.... you have one are you a loser? Listen, I love the art of the movement(s)..... but I know that there are many out there that have the same feeling as Chris..... in that... the movement is somewhat interesting but their feeling is "I like the look and feel, I don't know or care about the movement, and if you gave me a choice between a long lasting, accurate watch or a possible problem (for $200-$300) I'll take the "...... I'm open to accept that side of it..... because lets face it.... while many of us on the board care...... twice as many out there don't.

And my question to Miguel's out there...... if there was a quartz that produced a second hand as smooth as a gen rolly..... would you never buy it? If so, why did you buy the Tag?

(((now add the issue that some of our dealers have been passing off Asian reps for Swiss ETA, or 21.6 for 28.8....)))

Just looking at both sides boys...... there are more opinions than just our geeked out watch ones. I know my wife thinks I'm crazy with all the watch bs.

no-so-nubee

Is it more highbrow? hmmm.... are all people who have Tags posers and don't apreciate the watch world??? Miguel.... you have one are you a loser?

First of all, the IP was asking where are the quartz reps.....and my answer was and is ...Canal Street. If you notice, I did not say all quartz watches are souless. The accurate cheap quartz movements mass produced in asia that pervade the watch industry today, the digital display multi function gadget watches are not timepieces IMO. There are beautiful timepieces sold by Omega, Tag and Tissot to name a few that heve a quartz engine that I would consider buying.

Quartz watch owners "losers"??? Where did you get that? Little too much testosterone flowing today. Looks like you're sportin for a fight????

Well , let me say this...

I got my Tag after high school. It's a great watch. Deep down, however, I always wanted a Rollie. My great-uncle has one, my uncle has one, but I don't. I couldn't scrape together $3000+ for one, so I kept wearing the Tag. Eventually, I stumbled upon the world of reps. I bought a cheap auto Rolex in Mexico and thought it was awesome. From there, I found the original RWG, and got directed into the world of high-end reps. I got fascinated by the mechanical movements and the different brands, Rolex, Omega, etc.

The interest in me has never been the accuracy of the watch, but the "style" of it. I like utilitarian, stainless, tool watches. I don't care for gold or diamonds. I like to putz around with them. Make sure I can swim with them.

It's the same with my car. I drive a 1957 Volvo 444. My wife drives a 2006 Montana. I like to change the oil in the Volvo and adjust the drum brakes. My wife thinks I'm crazy, too.

I got my Tag after high school. It's a great watch. Deep down, however, I always wanted a Rollie. My great-uncle has one, my uncle has one, but I don't. I couldn't scrape together $3000+ for one, so I kept wearing the Tag. Eventually, I stumbled upon the world of reps. I bought a cheap auto Rolex in Mexico and thought it was awesome. From there, I found the original RWG, and got directed into the world of high-end reps. I got fascinated by the mechanical movements and the different brands, Rolex, Omega, etc.

Wow, similar horologic paths. I can remember crossing the pedistrian bridge from around San Diego into Mexico 20 years ago and plunging head long into the outdoor markets full of replica watches thinking I had arrived in heaven. I bought a ticking gold plated President that turned my wrist green and loved it.

I stopped by buydesignerwatch.com and dropped close to two grand 6 years ago on 4 ETA replicas of Submariners before I reached the promised land right here.

Does the second hand of a quartz movement always 'tick' or can they also be made to 'sweep'? At a glance and from a distance it's easy to tell my mechanical reps from my quartz rep (Tag Golf, which is a quartz gen). If my Steelfish ticked rather than swept it would be an obvious 'tell' no matter how well replicated the case was.

Does the second hand of a quartz movement always 'tick' or can they also be made to 'sweep'? At a glance and from a distance it's easy to tell my mechanical reps from my quartz rep (Tag Golf, which is a quartz gen). If my Steelfish ticked rather than swept it would be an obvious 'tell' no matter how well replicated the case was.

Yes but a sweeping second hand is major power drain on the power supply requiring far more frequent battery replacements. Seiko does have some prototypes with 1/10th sec sweeps but it would mean retooling the industry.

A sweeping quartz second hand would be an aesthetic change, not worth the upheval.

You pay whatever you want for what you want. No body really cares!

Two of the most popular replicated watches, the Tag Link and the Omega Seamaster are offered by their respective companies in both formats.

All I can do to illuminate the appeal of mechanical watch ownership to the true afficianatos is to offer an analogy. I love watching 12 meter class yacht racing. The skill and teamwork of a racing crew onboard a beautifully engineered, fimely tuned racing boat as it slices the seas gets my blood pumping. Does it lessen the experience one bit knowing that a guy on a Jet Ski could cover the same course twice as fast at a fraction of the cost????? Not a bit. Am I excited by a passion to watch Jet Ski racing??? Not even a little.

Watch technology was driven for years by the quest for the ultimate in accuracy. The quartz watch forever changed the rules and expectations and in a way, freed up the mechanical artists to create marvelous beauty. A perfectly engineered mechanical chronometer has a personality. A Casio Quartz is souless.

A chess match between two brilliant grand Masters is no less a study in fantastic multi level human intellect just because Deep Blue can wipe the floor with both of them.

OK....off the soap box!!!

To the first point, why if Tag and Omega deign to make quartz watches can I not find one in the rep world? I mean the rep 1st world, good case, bezel, strap, etc.

Regarding the second point, as I stated in my original post quite clearly, I can absolutely appreciate the beauty of a complex mechanism as quasi-art in itself. But your analogy doesn't work. My quartz and your automatic watch perform exactly the same function- telling time accurately (I don't care what you say about mechanical beauty, without accuracy there's no argument). A racing sloop and a jet ski both sit in/on the water and transport occupants. But they are clearly different animals, more dissimilar than similar. The same cannot be said for automatic and quartz watches. They look identical on the wrist, save that only one has a sweeping second hand.

And as far as soul, which most responders continually highlight, I'm guessing nobody here would give a rats ass about a Timex GENUINE watch with "soul". We're not here for the boundless love of mechanical beauty alone, not even a little bit. I'd guess the average genuine version of the timepieces advertised on our dealers' sites would run into the thousands of dollars. Associated with those dollars is a perceived lifestyle complete with J Class racing, vintage wines, classic European automobiles and the like. So don't dump all over me because I want an accurate watch that looks and feels the way the quality rep autos do. Most folks here are playing at being wealthy, myself included, by virtue of the names on our wrists.

And Deep Blue (or for that matter, an Intel Pentium 2) doesn't have a heartbeat, date girls or care about the beauty of quantum theory, again not an analogy I find compelling.

Honestly and Forthrightly,

Chris

To me, if the gen is quartz, you like the watch, they make a good rep, then why the heck not. I have a good Omega quartz rep that I use as my daily beater and since it keeps better time then anything else, I use it to set the time on all my 'soul' watches ;)

To me, if the gen is quartz, you like the watch, they make a good rep, then why the heck not. I have a good Omega quartz rep that I use as my daily beater and since it keeps better time then anything else, I use it to set the time on all my 'soul' watches ;)

Where can you get a good quartz rep?

@Chris: The basic automatic movements in the reps are very, very reliable. ETAs and even Asian 21J automatics. It's extremely rare to hear anyone's ETA having any mechanical problems, even after years of use. Yes, even the reps.

Asian 21J is much cheaper movement and they have some kind of (smallish) defect rate out-of-the-box. But if the movement runs well and keeps time for the first two, three months it will probably do so for years. So it would be rather stupid to replicate them in quartz... they wouldn't sell a lot. Who would want a quartz movement over good, reliable classic ETA? Perhaps the same people who would choose a Volkswagen over Audi?

I wouldn't mind buying an accurate quartz rep of a chronograph watch, either. For example of TAG Aquaracer Chronograph. But the problem is... they usually make a quartz rep of the automatic model. Like this Ebel here. This watch had very high quality bracelet and good feel. But it's very inaccurate. I loved the watch though... but gave it to a friend due to lack of wrist time.

They also made TAG Aquaracer chrono quartz rep. But unfortunately it's replication of the automatic model. It's both cheaply done and inaccurate. The 7750-powered chronographs are superior in overall quality too... they belong to different category. Why they didn't make "1:1" replica of the Aquaracer quartz model is a mystery. Perhaps they think it wouldn't have big sales potential in over $90 price range?

Still... there ARE some rather nice quartz reps that I could recommend (mostly TAGs):

TAG F1

TAG Indy

TAG SLR

and this TAG Link Ladies that I reviewed and bought for my girlfriend.

The new Asian 7750 chronograph movement isn't superb, but I have two left... that get regular wrist time and they're ok after 8-9 months. Many noobs who bash them have never even owned one. It's the modified movements that are POS (seconds at 6' Daytona, etc.). The track record of 7750 isn't great, but if you take good care of them I guess they have potential to last for years, too... before they need to be serviced. Time will tell...

The interest in me has never been the accuracy of the watch, but the "style" of it. I like utilitarian, stainless, tool watches. I don't care for gold or diamonds. I like to putz around with them. Make sure I can swim with them.

It's the same with my car. I drive a 1957 Volvo 444. My wife drives a 2006 Montana. I like to change the oil in the Volvo and adjust the drum brakes. My wife thinks I'm crazy, too.

OK, that's an answer I can dig. I'm reminded of the used Scalextric 1/32nd scale racing layout my folks bought me for Christmas when I was 8. I could work on the motors, change the tires, put different transaxles in, etc. The whole thing, though expensive, (I didn't know it) was far more thrilling than a run of the mill AFX speed demon set. The reason I have a compressor and paint sprayer, and various tools I don't really need goes to that same desire to grind away on stuff, make it my own.

Without all the elevated language surrounding what is in effect a duplication of jewelry meant to wow and impress, what's left for me is a love of good design and a level of ease of use which I need as my 3 sons don't really care WHY daddy is yet again unavailable. For them it's enough to know that he can't play or read or color because he's too busy. Hence my desire for quartz...I'd love to have time to work on movements, but I cannot. So my perfect collection is 2 quartz 1 auto. The Zigmeister fixes auto. I replace batteries.

Yes but a sweeping second hand is major power drain on the power supply requiring far more frequent battery replacements. Seiko does have some prototypes with 1/10th sec sweeps but it would mean retooling the industry.

A sweeping quartz second hand would be an aesthetic change, not worth the upheval.

For me, the sweep is everything. I do have a Quartz Seiko chronograph that more or less sweeps (multiple ticks per second).

To the first point, why if Tag and Omega deign to make quartz watches can I not find one in the rep world? I mean the rep 1st world, good case, bezel, strap, etc.

Regarding the second point, as I stated in my original post quite clearly, I can absolutely appreciate the beauty of a complex mechanism as quasi-art in itself. But your analogy doesn't work. My quartz and your automatic watch perform exactly the same function- telling time accurately (I don't care what you say about mechanical beauty, without accuracy there's no argument). A racing sloop and a jet ski both sit in/on the water and transport occupants. But they are clearly different animals, more dissimilar than similar. The same cannot be said for automatic and quartz watches. They look identical on the wrist, save that only one has a sweeping second hand.

And as far as soul, which most responders continually highlight, I'm guessing nobody here would give a rats ass about a Timex GENUINE watch with "soul". We're not here for the boundless love of mechanical beauty alone, not even a little bit. I'd guess the average genuine version of the timepieces advertised on our dealers' sites would run into the thousands of dollars. Associated with those dollars is a perceived lifestyle complete with J Class racing, vintage wines, classic European automobiles and the like. So don't dump all over me because I want an accurate watch that looks and feels the way the quality rep autos do. Most folks here are playing at being wealthy, myself included, by virtue of the names on our wrists.

And Deep Blue (or for that matter, an Intel Pentium 2) doesn't have a heartbeat, date girls or care about the beauty of quantum theory, again not an analogy I find compelling.

Honestly and Forthrightly,

Chris

Well said. :thumbsupsmileyanim: