When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

piece of drill bit stuck in lughole of my 1680

didnt even remember that i had this until jetsons and i just started talking about it.

a few months ago i was drilling the lugs on my 1680 mbw case, and on the last hole, of course, the bit snapped and got lodged in the hole. i tried to get it out, as some of you guys may recall, but it would not budge.

so now i still have this watch in pieces, ready to be put together, gen parts and all, if i can only get this damn bit out.

any suggestions?

thanks guys

piece of drill bit stuck in lughole of my 1680

:lol: That is something you don't hear every day.

Is there any sticking up above the hole to grab on to? If you can solder a longer handle on to it and twist it out that would do the trick. I have had a similiar situation on a screw but it was a much larger area. The other option is a smaller drill bit to drill the piece out, but if you're not carefull it will ruin the case.

didnt even remember that i had this until jetsons and i just started talking about it.

a few months ago i was drilling the lugs on my 1680 mbw case, and on the last hole, of course, the bit snapped and got lodged in the hole. i tried to get it out, as some of you guys may recall, but it would not budge.

so now i still have this watch in pieces, ready to be put together, gen parts and all, if i can only get this damn bit out.

any suggestions?

thanks guys

Get another bit and drill it out.

Guest avitt

I think it will be very tough to drill out the bit. This isn't like drilling out a broken screw or bolt...Those are soft, in comparison to a hardened steel (or cobalt) drill bit. It will be very difficult to drill into the bit. It is more likely that your new bit will slide off to the side of the broken bit, into the softer case metal.

First, I would try Repaustria's suggestion of driving the bit out from the opposite side. Try soaking the hole with lubricant first.

I don't think the punch idea will work unless the bit had already punched through the other side of the case, and I don't think you were clear on that point. If a little piece of the bit is stuck inside the lug hole, and the hole doesn't go all the way through, I think you need to drill from the opposite side. I drill press with a vice is a must, and you'll have to start the hole with a punch and a tiny bit. Then move up to larger bits to widen the hole. at some point you'll be able to insert a small punch from the outside and push out the broken bit. Then you can finish the hole from the inside.

The hard part will be getting the hole from the outside lined up properly. make sure you take good measurements and mark your spot well.

If I'm wrong about the hole not going all the way through, I apologize for the long post.

You are never getting that out with regular tools!

You are going to need to either super-cool it then warm it up, or heat up the lug to try and release the hardened steel bit.. Trouble is you'll probably discolour the case..

What kind of drill bit did you use? HSS, Cabide, Cobalt? etc.

Use a drill press with a rotary diamond covered bit, the kind you would use in a dremel tool. Make sure the bit has the diamond coating on the end of the bit as well, not just the sides.

Line it up very carefully and go slowly with the grinding, it may take a couple of bits to wear thru the existing broken bit, but with patience, the diamond bit will grind the broken bit out.

Let me guess you used a cobalt bit in a hand drill or at high speed? ooops!

Cobalt is frickin hard but its brittle! the only option is to attempt to shatter the remains, (diamond wont touch it) or attempt to use another cobalt bit in a drill press and use pleanty of oil.