When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin Overseas : different ETA movements

Pix

Hi,

I have recently bought the VC Overseas, advertized with Swiss ETA 2836-2.

By having a look at the dealers different specs, I see that the model of ETA movements may be different.

Joshua, Silix : ETA 2824

Brandon, Andrew : ETA 2836-2

supposed to be nickel plated

I got mine (1st pic) from Brandon with a 2834-2, same as Stephane who got it from PT (his pics are much better >> see second one).

231346-12026.jpg

231346-12027.jpg

Can someone explain the difference between these (I had a look around but did not find this topic to be treated already).

Thx for a prospective horology lesson. ^_^

Hi again,

I've been on ETA's website.

What I understood is that the 2824 will handle hours/min/sec and date, whereas the 2834 will handle all the same + day. Which is actually useless for the Overseas. So it's probably just a question of availability while producing.

The other issue seems to be the size of the movement.

231742-11967.jpg

Still do not know however what is the difference with the advertized 2836 and also why the delivered movements are gold and not silver. Is this just a decoration issue, or a real difference in the quality ?

Cheers.

The colour was the subject of many a long debate with no real outcome, i personaly think it is just decoration.

I remember having read a thread (but can't find it anymore) that said the "gold" ones were Chinese assembled as opposed to "silver" that are Swiss assembled...

There is no noticeable difference in quality between a Gold or Nickel ETA, at least I have never noted any differences.

There is a difference as to where they are from, Gold ETA's are produced by ETA in Switzerland, Nickel ETA's are out of the ETA factories in the Far East.

RG

Rob,

Sorry to bug but I don't get it...

I maybe ignorant but what is Nickel as a colour ?

Are the two above pictures Nickel or Gold ones ?

Cheers

Stephane

Nickel is Silver coloured, as in the second post, Gold is...Gold, as in the first post... :)

Did your stuff arrive?

RG

Cool, now it's absolutely clear....(let's hope they do not put red Eta on the market).

The stuff must be on it's way but didn't yet arrive ;-)

Hopefully it will be delivered this week or next.

I'll let you know for sure !

Thank you very much for your response

Cheers

Stephane