When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

American Law School?

thomasng

Did anyone here ever apply for law school in the United States? I'm curious, as I applied for American law schools 2 years ago, and got flat rejections from everything I applied for.

I applied for:

- Harvard

- Columbia

- Stanford

- Cornell

I wasn't directly rejected from Cornell, I was waitlisted and never heard back from them again. I don't understand how I was rejected, as I scored a perfect 180 on the LSAT, and had strong reference letters from my employer and research partner at the University of Toronto. In addition, according to the LSDAS I had a Cumulative GPA of 4.00. And yet all this still wasn't good enough, I'm still wondering to myself what may have went wrong. I'm thinking of sending in another application for the same law schools later this year, and if I'm admitted specifically to Harvard, to request a 2 year deferral. I want to use my LSAT score while it's still valid in the eyes of many law schools.

Did anyone here ever apply for law school in the United States? I'm curious, as I applied for American law schools 2 years ago, and got flat rejections from everything I applied for.

I applied for:

- Harvard

- Columbia

- Stanford

- Cornell

I wasn't directly rejected from Cornell, I was waitlisted and never heard back from them again. I don't understand how I was rejected, as I scored a perfect 180 on the LSAT, and had strong reference letters from my employer and research partner at the University of Toronto. In addition, according to the LSDAS I had a Cumulative GPA of 4.00. And yet all this still wasn't good enough, I'm still wondering to myself what may have went wrong. I'm thinking of sending in another application for the same law schools later this year, and if I'm admitted specifically to Harvard, to request a 2 year deferral. I want to use my LSAT score while it's still valid in the eyes of many law schools.

how did you get a 180 on the lsat?

i'm suprised you would have been rejected from all of them. Do you have anything in your past that would hinder you - busted for pot? :) - do you plan to live in the US?

other than yale, those are pretty much the top schools and alot of time getting in also has to do with who's your daddy and how much he gave to the alumni fund last year.

You could clearly get a full scholorship to just about anyplace else in the US.

I'm not sure what you want to do with your life, but if its be a law school proffessor, you need to go to one of those schools, if its anything else, you don't need to go there - or, actually US supreme court.

how did you get a 180 on the lsat?

i'm suprised you would have been rejected from all of them. Do you have anything in your past that would hinder you - busted for pot? :) - do you plan to live in the US?

other than yale, those are pretty much the top schools and alot of time getting in also has to do with who's your daddy and how much he gave to the alumni fund last year.

You could clearly get a full scholorship to just about anyplace else in the US.

I'm not sure what you want to do with your life, but if its be a law school proffessor, you need to go to one of those schools, if its anything else, you don't need to go there - or, actually US supreme court.

I don't know how I got 180 on the LSAT, I prepared a few weeks before the test and wrote it thinking I did horrible on it that Saturday morning. Not to mention, but I scored in the 99.99th percentile on the GMAT and I had gotten 1580 on the old SAT I, with perfect scores in Mathematics, Physics and History SAT IIs, and again I was rejected from every Ivy League school I applied for.

I forgot that I also applied for Yale, probably because they were the first to send me a refusal of admission (Maybe 2 weeks after my LSAT score was reported). I am by no means from a rich family, and don't have a cent to donate to these schools (we would struggle just to pay the tuition!!!). I had the perfect profile of a successful applicant, perfect LSAT score, perfect undergraduate and graduate records along with solid references and leadership activities. That's what I detest about American schools, everything seems to be so prejudiced in my opinion.

And no, I have a clean record too. Except when I was caught 2 years ago bringing a Rolex back from overseas, but that's another story.

I applied for:

- Harvard

- Columbia

- Stanford

- Cornell

Admin,

I doubt they received your LSAT. I could see harvard/yale rejecting a 180, but not any of the others you listed. I would stay away from American Law; it has a bad reputation being the #3 school in D.C. (behind Georgetown and GW) and just slightly in the top 50. It is a good school and I am not knocking people that go there - but people from schools ranked higher will turn up their noses as do many employers. The only thing I could see causing problems is your CN citizenship.

If you are ever waitlisted it is important to bug the hell out of them, visit, etc.

I just went through this recently and will drop you a PM with some more info.

Cray

Oh wait, I'm not talking about actually applying to "American Law School", I'm just talking about American law schools in general. I'm looking to reapply for Harvard and the whole set again later this year while my LSAT score is still considerably fresh. It has been my dream to attend Harvard once in my lifetime, and I can't believe that given my profile that I'm still being rejected!!! By the way, I am a citizen of Canada right now, but was a British citizen when I applied back then.

Edited by thomasng

I applied for:

- Harvard

- Columbia

- Stanford

- Cornell

Hmm, that is strange. You should have applied to schools like Georgetown, UPenn, or Univ of Chicago as safety schools (I went to Penn & UChi, but not for law). Perhaps there was something about your personal statement that they did not like... That being said, your scores and GPA kick ass. I would consider rewriting your personal statement (talk about how you want to help the poor) and submit every year your LSAT score is valid.

Also, if you have ever been arrested for ANYTHING, you must disclose it to US law schools because of the American Bar background checks. Any lying is grounds for automatic rejection.

I am by no means from a rich family, and don't have a cent to donate to these schools (we would struggle just to pay the tuition!!!). I had the perfect profile of a successful applicant, perfect LSAT score, perfect undergraduate and graduate records along with solid references and leadership activities. That's what I detest about American schools, everything seems to be so prejudiced in my opinion.

Well, keep in mind that all the people who get scores like yours apply to the same places. The vast majority of the prejudice in the American system is a result of affirmative action, and other quotes designed at promoting diversity within the student body. Im not saying its a bad thing, but I think legacy is a much smaller part of the favoritism going on in US schools.

If your qualification is like that, then there is a big problem of your application. Sometimes a minor thing can screw up your application process. Make sure you check everything again, your reference letter? the way you present the application is terribly wrong? or you spell the date wrong?

Good luck

Another problem you may have had is that someone "filled" your slot. The way admissions work is basically a huge spreadsheet were they want X number of people from ___ group to achieve diversity, balance, etc. This isn't just race, but is hometown, college, GPA, goals, etc. If someone fills the slot you fit in, you are up [censored] creek without a paddle.

Not sure what your race or background is, but the last thing you really want to be when applying is another smart white male.

I don't know how I got 180 on the LSAT, I prepared a few weeks before the test and wrote it thinking I did horrible on it that Saturday morning. Not to mention, but I scored in the 99.99th percentile on the GMAT and I had gotten 1580 on the old SAT I, with perfect scores in Mathematics, Physics and History SAT IIs, and again I was rejected from every Ivy League school I applied for.

Freak!

Well, keep in mind that all the people who get scores like yours apply to the same places. The vast majority of the prejudice in the American system is a result of affirmative action, and other quotes designed at promoting diversity within the student body. Im not saying its a bad thing, but I think legacy is a much smaller part of the favoritism going on in US schools.

yeah but how many people can possibly do better than the top .1% there is something very odd about this.

Did you mention this forum or replica watches in your personal statement? That may have something to do with it......just kidding ;)

There are plenty of top tier schools that would accept you with those numbers.....I wish you the best of luck in following and attaining your dream!