When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer tells

dieselpower

Hello Breitling fans. I am dipping into your area to ask for help. I have an uncle who is a bit of an AH. He bought a few reps in the Middle East and then got all snobby about them and said that he would not wear reps any more and only the real thing was good enough for him. He then appeared with a new gold Navitimer which he bragged was a gen and I asked to look at it. Now you must understand I know absolutely nothing about Breitlings - I thought the watch was gen and I had no reason to doubt it, the man can afford these things. I started the stop watch to look at the tick of the second hand and it was all very nice until I noticed that it did a strange sort of hesitant stutter at about the 4 o'clock position. I have no idea if this is a thing one would expect or accept from a genuine expensive watch like this but it most definitely is a fault (albeit quite difficult to spot). I have seen a similar thing on asian 7750 movements and was wondering if this AH had bought a quality rep and was trying to pass it off as gen to impress the family. Here's the question - is there a sure fire easy way for an admittedly ignorant Breitling person to spot weather this watch is a fake or not? Like I say the overall feel of the watch is one of great quality and the dial printing is superb etc etc but I would love to be able to call it out if it is indeed a rep.

PS If it is gen I am not very impressed with the above mentioned ticking issue - should he take it to an AD to have the movement looked at?

Cheers.

Easiest way to tell is the lack or AR. If it has a very heavy AR like the gen Breitlings do, it wil have a very very obvious blue hue across the crystal in certain light. The next tell is the date font. The gen date font fills up the date window completely, and is completely different from the Asian, and the Swiss 7750 date fonts, see the picture below,

233970-11614.jpg

If it is that layout then these are the two obvious flaws. If it is the other dial layout,(3 6 9) look out for a sunken date wheel (as in it doesn't sit flush with the dial because of the modified movement)

Yes there are all gold Navis, but I have not seen an all gold rep as of yet, though I have the feeling that we may see them soon. Now you don't specify if this is a 3-6-9 or a 6-9-12 configuration, so its hard to zero in on what flaws to look for. I would look for the flaw that is common to all navi reps. Look at the numbers on the slide rule insert. If its gen, the numbers on the insert will come very close to the crystal. On the rep, the numbers are much further from the glass. Take a look at a couple of pics of bothe rep & gen, and you will soon be able to tell the difference quite easily.

Thanks to all for the invaluble help. Truth is I can't remember what the subdial configuration is! I'm sure I can catch him out armed with these clues though. Now the big question is weather to call him out around the dinner table in front of everybody or to quietly have a look in private and tell him he may fool everybody else but not me! I think the second option is best, then he will forever be wondering if I decide to 'go public' with my discovery of his secret! Ha ha I wish you knew him - he is a total [censored].