When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3 Vintage Rolex, 3 straps... Nice Pics

eunomians

Another couple of crappy carelessly taken pics from this afternoon.

Yes, the 1675's date is incorrect, but I can assure you that the pics were taken today, not on the 15th.

The theme this time 'round is "Straps" or "Oysterless Fun".

We all know that these vintage sports models are meant to be worn with their respective bracelets, but...

Did you know that in the 1960s, Rolex sold Submariners with the option of choosing between the Oyster bracelet or a genuine Tropic Diver strap?

I would assume that you already knew that there are lots of folks who've been spotted wearing vintage Daytonas with leather straps (Mr. Popcorn Salad Dressing not included). It all makes sense when u can marry a fine thick substantial yet elegant strap with a vintage Daytona. They simply are meant for one another. Hey, the bracelet looks great, but so does fine leather!

If I wear leather with the 1675, it is almost always a grainy leather Nato strap that is not featured in these pics. Oh well, the perforated strap shown here looks and feels real nice too. Especially on a warm day.

So, in ode to the 3 or 4 people in the world who decided to for-go the Oyster bracelet in the late 1960s - these pics are for you!

234768-11434.jpg

234768-11435.jpg

234768-11436.jpg

More info on the straps:

- The 6265 strap is thick buffalo grained leather NOS from the 60s. There is a Rolex buckle attached to this strap. The thick strap works great with the smallish size of the 6265.

- The 1675 strap is a soft leather strap. It is quite thin, making it work well with the ligher weight of the GMT.

- The 5513 strap is a genuine thick rubber Tropic brand NOS strap, also from the 1960s. It has a grained finish. This also has a Rolex buckle.

I prefer the oyster bracelets on these watches, but that rally strap on the Daytona with the gen buckle looks awesome! The diver strap on the sub is almost an aquired taste. I kinda like it, and the more I look at it, the more I begin to like it. Thanks for sharing!

Can we see wrist shots of all as well?

Thank you. The lizard strap is vintage (and correct for a late 60's or early 70's watch) with a Rolex buckle. I have seen these types of lizard straps used in old Rolex advertisements and it just looks right for this watch.

I have been debating whether to replace the original rep Triplock crown on this watch with a gen Twinlock, but since it does not have the correct asymmetrical pusher layout and the dial is a bit off (the lower subdial is too low and bleeds into the outer surround of the dial), I was not sure it made sense to put too much more time and money into it since I am still looking for a DW non-Oyster Daytona.

Euno very nice grouping! I'm with ya, I keep a rally strap on one of my DW 6263's all the time, it just has a certain refinement to it with leather or an exotic skin.

236363-11172.jpg

I'm trying out my gen Speedmaster with a rally strap for while too :thumbsupsmileyanim:.

236363-11173.jpg