When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can anyone from USA comment?

Torques

I have a new (2 months old) Sub with 2836 from reputable merchant. It started stopping randomly, then the last time I tried to set it, the stem came completely out and won't stay back in anymore. The dealer has instructed me to ship it back to him for a return. My question is this: He has instructed me to indicate for customs "sample watch". Is there much of a chance they will look at it and if so, can I get into a lot of trouble shipping a counterfeit watch FROM the USA. Thanks for the comments.

I would reply to the dealer and inquire about labling the watch as "broken wristwatch, for repair and return" as opposed to 'sample watch'. The latter to me just screams fake to customs.

On the other hand, just by the nature of the fact that you'd be sending the watch to a foreign country may be enough for them to take a closer look. I only have experience sending a watch to The Zigmeister up in Canada, so I guess my experience doesn't really cover your problem.

Good luck.

Is there absolutely no way the crown will re-insert and lock back into position? It sounds like the crown might not have been properly engaged inside the movement, which might explain the stopping and it coming right out... Best of luck with repairs or the return :)

Im no expert, but like teejay said its possible the stem never engaged.

Before sending it back, I would take the back off and try to reinsert the stem. If you search around im sure you can find pictures of the movement to illustrate this, but you need to depress a "button" to accomplish this

I have a new (2 months old) Sub with 2836 from reputable merchant. It started stopping randomly, then the last time I tried to set it, the stem came completely out and won't stay back in anymore. The dealer has instructed me to ship it back to him for a return. My question is this: He has instructed me to indicate for customs "sample watch". Is there much of a chance they will look at it and if so, can I get into a lot of trouble shipping a counterfeit watch FROM the USA. Thanks for the comments.

If the stem fell out, the movement will probably need to be looked at.

The last time I tried to return a defective watch back to China, the post office told me that US customs will no longer permit a 'watch' (or anything with the word 'watch' in it) to be exported to China. The person at the post office even showed me in the customs regulations book where it states that the export of 'watches' are prohibited. I then asked the person at the post office if I could declare the watch as 'cuckoo clock parts' and she looked at me funny (since we both knew it was a watch) and then sent the package without any complaint. But you should probably check with the seller first if possible.

I've used "Sample watch" or "Watch parts" several times, per the dealer, and it's worked every time going from the States to the dealer in China. So far, so good. The dealers know what works best, use their advice. It's their business to know this stuff.

I've been denied when I tried, per the dealer's instructions, to use a description with the word "watch" in it. . . Same as above, I was shown the book with the prohibition in it when shipping to China.

However, as with any other job, some know the regulations better than others. Also, as was also mentioned above, if it's not a watch, but something else, it may be okay. Since the one I was returning a couple of times didn't function as a watch (didn't tell time), I felt okay using a "more correct" description.

At any rate, I'd first look for a jeweler to repair it (I can suggest one if you like, but off of the board), and if that doesn't work, good luck with shipping it back. It's a hassle!

Ok, I have taken off the back but I didn't touch anything inside. I notice there is supposed to be a little button or tab in that hole to the left of the stem path. There is nothing in there as shown on photos from this website. Maybe that part fell off inside, regardless, from what I am telling you guys, do you think I can fix it or not. I tried putting the stem back in but it does not catch anything inside. Thanks.

Sounds like the keyless works may have jammed or dislodged. If so, it will likely require work from the dial side to remove the keyless works and reinstall them properly. This sometimes happens when that stem release button is pressed too hard.

This work will require the movement to be removed along with the hands and dial to access the keyless works.