When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master

bbell6

I've been reviewing threads relating to the GMTs. From what I gather, the 24hr hand appears to cause a problems for the reps with the 2836 movements. Is it accurate to say that if you want a good GMT rep you should hold out for one with a 2893 movement? It appears that Josh has one for $428. Does anyone have experience with this rep? Is there any problems with changing out the bezels or inserts. If your spending that much for the watch, it would be nice to know that you could at least change the look (black/red, blue/red, and all black). Are there any other options? Any assistance would be appreciated.

The 2893-2 is most definitely a superior movement. It is a super smooth, accurate and reliable caliber designed for the GMT function. It is worth the additional cash IMO but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

This particular watch also has a superior case compared to the standard issue. The case is thicker with a deeper set dial and the sapphire crystal is substantial as it is on the gen. Just to give you the heads up, this is the earlier side case holes model and those need to be drilled (as does the bracelet) to accommodate the OEM 2mm bars.

The insert can be changed without much of a problem. It is glued to the bezel with double sided tape. Remove the bezel and soak it in soapy warm water for an hour or so and it comes off easily. A gen insert must be ground/thinned to properly fit the TW bezel. Not sure if an after market insert is a direct fit as there are quite a few variations produced.

BTW, I have this GMT with the red/black insert and it is one of my faves.

I've been reviewing threads relating to the GMTs. From what I gather, the 24hr hand appears to cause a problems for the reps with the 2836 movements. Is it accurate to say that if you want a good GMT rep you should hold out for one with a 2893 movement?

Well... once again:

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE 2836-2 "GMT" movement". IT'S THE MODIFICATION WHERE THE GMT HAND IS PLACED OVER HOUR HAND THAT CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS... NOT THE "OLD" VERSION WHERE GMT HAND IS PLACED UNDER THE HOUR HAND". It's not a real GMT movement, but it's completely irrelevant here. The "old" setup is technically safe and good. Members should stop spreading the rumor that 2836-2 is shaky, because it's not. Eddie Lee has stated that he had much more problems with defective watches that had 2893... than 2836-2.

Only the "new" modified version can be a risky purchase. And Ziggy stated that he might have received a "bad apple", it was just one watch that he reviewed.

Ziggy makes these wonderful reviews. I wonder if anyone ever reads them:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Movement-Review-...Gmt-t12764.html

Edited by By-Tor

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE 2836-2 "GMT" movement". Ziggy makes these wonderful reviews. I wonder if anyone ever reads them:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Movement-Review-...Gmt-t12764.html

And again, it's worth saying, even if it's the xx time !

I'm getting an MBW soon with 2836-2.

I can't see one single reason to pay more to go for a 2893-2 if Ziggy and By-Tor say the GMT with 2836 is ok !

My 2836 cents: read read read...

And, by the way, I have a mysterious GMT with 2836-2 already and it works fine including the GMT function since last summer of 2006.

I know nothing about movements. I've just done my homework, listening to guys like Ziggy and EL...

This is what Eddie Lee has stated about 2893/2836-2 in reps. He's one of the most experienced dealers in the community, so I have no reason to doubt anything he says:

(And once again: Eddie is talking about the old 2836-2 (with GMT hand under hour hand). Please understand the difference between these two 2862-2 setups.

quote-------------------------------------------------->

I offer 2836 and 2893 for the gmt...

for the record...it does not matter to me which is which...the price is pretty much fixed by the distributor....

2893...as most know is $$$ movt,...and once it is not in sync,,,hard to fix and $$$ to fix.

i have shipped many 2893 ,,,,many....and i also have lots of issue with 2893..and when these come back to me,,,these 2893 just go back to distributor and return back to maker right away as instructed by maker. As once it is reassembled or retouch the movt,,,it has become unstable, exteemely unstable.

and so far, i have quite a few return on the 2893...over 20 pcs....even these have been checked prior shipping out...i am sure many in the forum who have the 2893 may discover that gmt hand may slack in time or not sync with time...and fallen into the twilight zone.....

but in 2836...i only have 1 issue with not sync with the time.

This is what i know,,,and this is the info that i get,,and this is the feedback i have ...and this is the stat. and number does not lie.

Regardless of what the eta movt says...or swatch group say....basically i do only believe what my qc lady and my repair mate inform me...and i have no doubt about their capabilities and judgement.

I love to sell 2893 more than 2836....but 2836 is a simpler movt... and easier to fix...and from my point of view....on my service side...2836 better for me....

not many will know how to fix 2893 and 2892.,...and what if the local watchsmith screws the movt up...this mean the movt is gone...but 2836 is the work horse of the swatch group and many watchsmiths know this movt inside and out....like a the hook mechanism of victoria secret bras...2893 is the french corset....nice and sexy...but in my opinion has rather dim record....

I do not know much about movt...but i do one thing for sure....i knwo the stat...and i know the record...and i know the detail.

If u were to ask me which is better.....benz or toyota....i will tell you ,,,if u have the cash sure...benz is better....but if u dont want to bet for return of service...toyota is one u may want to go with.

Edited by By-Tor

2893 is a great movement. 2836 modified is, well, modified. I am sure it can be great, too. But there are many OEM watches (some that I own) that use the 2893 with great success.

I am not quite sure what I am trying to state here, other than you get what u pay for in life (within reason): A Venus 178 tends to be better than a seconds at 6 Asia 7750.

2893 is a great movement. 2836 modified is, well, modified. I am sure it can be great, too. But there are many OEM watches (some that I own) that use the 2893 with great success.

I am not quite sure what I am trying to state here, other than you get what u pay for in life (within reason): A Venus 178 tends to be better than a seconds at 6 Asia 7750. At least scientific data suggests that overwhelming evidence implies that this perhaps can be said as 'true' since it is 99% out of 100%. Sure, nothing can be 'true' in entirety, but 99% dictates that for us, in the here and now, it can be implied as 'mostly true'. Hey look, I've had a Venus 178 conk out on me while my PAM 196 rep has kept purring like a kitten for way more than a year... But I'm willing to openly bet that a NOS Venus 178 is indeed waaay better than an Asia 7750!!!

Horologically 2893 is superior movement to 2836-2 without a doubt... and a real GMT movement. That's not even under the discussion. I just pointed out the differencies between these two 2836-2 "faux GMT" setups. The other one is reliable, the other one might not be. :)