When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Montblanc Timewalker GMT Swiss ETA

Pix

Hi,

I got this new toy about 2 weeks ago.

It came with a Swiss ETA 2836-2, without strap for 150 dollars shipped...

It took me some time to choose the dress : finally I went to something classic (black alligator), highlighted with white stitching and a 3-fold deployant clasp, both giving the watch a more sporty look.

It's 43 mm diameter and has very few flaws against the gen : white digits instead of silver, which in fact make the dial much clearer, as there is no AR coating. The crown is beautiful, the GMT feature works and the Swiss ETA keeps perfect time.

Also the gen has a transparent display case back (same as the Chono version) and here it came with a SS one, but with correct engravings : indeed, that's the replica of the non GMT version.

That's a true evidence that it's possible to get excellent reps for much less than the new 250-300++ trend.... I hope to meet such bargains more often and hereby would like to thank River for that.

240211-10047.jpg

240211-10048.jpg

240211-10049.jpg

240211-10050.jpg

Focus on the buckle that a member offered me for free. :D (updated 1st june 2007)

The engraving is really deep and sharp, and the side keeps the same spirit as the lugs.

240211-10051.jpg

240211-10052.jpg

And a lume shot... The lume is more anecdotic than visible on this piece. No idea about the gen.

240211-10053.jpg

Here's the gen.

240211-10054.png

And here's the back of the non GMT gen

240211-10055.jpg

Thanks for the little review. Very nice pictures. The new Mont Blancs look indeed very good.. Is is not a very well known brand, with all the pros and cons of that.

I did not know of the different caseback styles, but have seen the display caseback of the chrono version.

Wear it well! :)

Thx ^_^

That was a micro review, I did it more to share pics than to spot the flaws.

If the Chrono version would not be a 7750, I would surely have gone for it. Here too, you can get it under 200 bucks.

I'm a Montblanc fan I must say, and can only regret that only the Timewalker models are well repped.

Thx ^_^

That was a micro review, I did it more to share pics than to spot the flaws.

If the Chrono version would not be a 7750, I would surely have gone for it. Here too, you can get it under 200 bucks.

I'm a Montblanc fan I must say, and can only regret that only the Timewalker models are well repped.

Great pics Pix.

I only wish they would come out with a version that has the accurate colors on the dial.

I seem to remember a post that compares the GMT rep to the gen and the difference (other than the case back) is that the gen has silver numerals as opposed to white on the rep.

I would happily go without the display back and a 7750 for the benefits of the ETA movement.

Also the GMT is less chunky than the chrono in a rep by the look of the specs.

Enjoy it, it's a great watch.

I agree with you, but I think that the flaw of the digits colour is completely balanced by the price I paid it (Swiss ETA inside) !

I have no hesitation handing this watch to anyone who want to have a closer look.

As a watch it's beautiful through it's simplicity and finishing, as a rep it's more than decent.

I've hesitated a wile with the Chrono version, but the movement matter made me go back to reason. I have to follow a psy training to tell myself the 7750 is a good movement as well.

BTW, you can get the chrono for close under 200 dollars shipped from the same dealer...

I agree with you, but I think that the flaw of the digits colour is completely balanced by the price I paid it (Swiss ETA inside) !

I have no hesitation handing this watch to anyone who want to have a closer look.

As a watch it's beautiful through it's simplicity and finishing, as a rep it's more than decent.

I've hesitated a wile with the Chrono version, but the movement matter made me go back to reason. I have to follow a psy training to tell myself the 7750 is a good movement as well.

BTW, you can get the chrono for close under 200 dollars shipped from the same dealer...

Thanks Pix.

I just got my first rep 2 weeks ago (Tag Carrera with the 7750) so I am not after another chrono anyway.

I think I will order the GMT next after your experience.

I am also keen to get an ETA movement.

That said the 7750 is running great in the TAG, no complaints here.

• 4 weeks later...

A small bump : one forum member offered me a strap + buckle for free :D

The Montblanc buckle was the missing thing to have that rep close to perfect.

A huge THANK YOU for him !

After sometime owning that watch, I can confirm that it keeps great time, that the GMT feature is not problematic at all, and that the power reserve is the best I have amongst all my watches...

Great Looking Piece.. ! They have been slowly growing on me and I'm about ready to jump ....

How does it fit on the wrist ? After wearing this Overseas,.. I have gotten spoiled by perfect fits

and noticed the curved lugs on your Monty, which it seems would make it conform to the wrist....

Hi,

I agree on the fit of the Overseas... I have no idea how does the MB with SS bracelet fits, but on a leather dress I have nothing to complain.

It's a pretty large watch, but as you noticed, the shape of the lugs help it not just "sit" on the wrist.

Here are some wristshots (I have a 6.8 inches one)

I really like this watch, it's both dressy and sporty. It seems that the SS bracelet is of high quality too. If you go for the chrono and like the color, I would advise the white colour, which make the lack of AR less obvious.

post-4381-1180711821_thumb.jpgpost-4381-1180711842_thumb.jpgpost-4381-1180711857_thumb.jpg

If you look for a good price, I can only advise you to go to River.

If you go for the chrono and like the color, I would advise the white colour, which make the lack of AR less obvious.

Hi Pix and Richard,

Here some pics of my chrono which is more silver (not white) and for sure not as grey as certain pictures are showing :wounded1:

On my wife's wrist:

256458-6422.jpg

On mine:

256458-6423.jpg

And a general view:

256458-6424.jpg

It's a great looking watch that keeps good time. I do not know why it gets so few wrist time though.

Cheers

Stephane

Stephanie that watch is Gorgeous ! I was sure I would go for the Gmt,. but now.... :unsure:

What is the thickness ?

Hi Richard,

Pls note Stephanie is a female name and Stephane a male one ;) I'm a boy, thus it's Stephane :brow:

I do not have a precision instrument to mesure the thickness but I checked and it's around 14-15 mm.

You can find all the pics I have here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Mont-Blanc-Time-...aph-t23693.html

Cheers

Stephane

256833-6372.jpg

256833-6373.jpg

Thank you guys, i had managed not to think of it any more ..... but now is back on my mind :Jumpy:

I really hesitate between GMT and Chrono !!!

For gmt : i haven't yet a gmt

For Chrono : really enjoy the look (but afraid of A7750,, even if it's not the moddified one as my IWC porto)

@ stephane : where are you located (i am french near Paris)

:)

Once you own more than a certain quantity of watches, there are statistically less chances that you wear each of them ;-)

And I know you own many !!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I love the white chrono !

:blink: hmmm, I never thought about that point...you're correct Mr Pix ;)

What I would like is the MB GMT with the silver/white dial, but every time I have asked the response has been that this option is not available. It's a shame because I don't want a black dial MB and I don't really want the chrono. And I like GMTs (wearing a Pam GMT as I write this).

In fact the white GMT does not exist either as a rep or as a gen...

You don't like black or is it the lack of AR that disturbs ? In real life, you see it much less than on the pictures. But maybe once I'll do the step for AR coating the crystal, depending on the opportunities.

On the other hand, it's surely easy to rep the non GMT version.

257052-6314.jpg

But I guess that there is not a large demand on Montblanc reps these days.

• 1 month later...

And good news ! :D

Someone heard me (I can't believe what I'm typing :lol:)

The non GMT version is about to be released, and if it's based on the model I own (which is obvious), it's just going to be PERFECT !

The 2 flaws (white markers and wrong caseback) won't exist there !!!

281262-71.jpg

I may sell my GMT to buy this one, for sure ! :Jumpy:

• 8 months later...