When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new mods just finished and pics next to my gen.

flavor flav

it really helps having the genuines here for examples when doing these mods! i just finished this 177 and 111 with my custom lume mix dubbed "c2" the mixe is a match to the genuine color.. not pure c3as many believe but a mix of c1 and c3. also this customer requested i change the font color on the dial from the bright white to the off white as on the gen.. some use the "smoke" method but i don't smoke so i soak them in a tank of a mixed instant coffee (super thick 3 parts mix/1 part water) and a small amount of iodine. i soak for 2 days then rinse and dry. the effect is the font is evenly and lightly stained to a color much closer to the genuine. tones down the bright white fonts! i also did a cannon upgrade and i fixed the loose CG levers (best bang for the buck to make a pam rep more believable) the CG levers on reps are loose and floppy.. my modification makes them tight and move with some resistance exactly like the genuine lever. and finally! as a gift for sending me three watches at once for mods, i added a spare swanneck regulator i had to the basic asian movement on his fiddy! not fully functional but looks much better than no swanneck! the fiddy was done with the same lume mix and the cannon and lever were modded too.

i wanted to share the comparison pics with the forum.

my gen 111i is the center of the pic.

240606-9974.jpg

240606-9975.jpg

and the fiddy!

240606-9976.jpg

240606-9977.jpg

Awesome relume job! I just got a 11i gen too, partly because of jealousy from your post showing your new gen. Now I am thinking of adding a rep or two. Maybe they'll need some of your tlc to sit nicely next to my gen!

you got my favorite watch!! if you ever need help let me know. the 111i is unreal... :victory:

That is the single most impressive thing I have seen in 2 years of lurking on the boards....

wow....

Does the coffee affect the texture of the black part of the dial?

Chad

Flav - think the lume colour is spot on - excellent match to gen - day and night.

Hmm, he or she will be a one happy customer for sure...great results Flav !

Noticed how the hour hand sits a bit lower on gen ? Do Panerai use 'special' cannon pin/hour wheel set ?!?!? Hmmm...

cheers,

babola

There are 3 different cannon pinion / hour weel sizes.

There are 3 different cannon pinion / hour weel sizes.

Really ? So how's the 3rd different from the 'longer cannon pin/hour wheel set' we use for recessed pin upgrades ? Thanks mate !

You learn something new every day :-)

cheers,

babola

Really excellent work. The remix on the lume is interesting. I have two watches with gen hands but they are pre-H and they are straight up C-3. PAM is getting fancy in their old age. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Most importantly, really nice work. :)

This proves again that consistency is not Panerai's greatest strength :rolleyes:

A colleague of mine has a gen 111F from 2003, the dial and hands are white as snow !? They match the dial txt white color to a tee.

It's after I saw his PAM that I changed my view on lume mix Panerai uses on their historics...definitely not pure C3, at least not on the ones I've seen so far.

mind boggles...

babola

Really ? So how's the 3rd different from the 'longer cannon pin/hour wheel set' we use for recessed pin upgrades ? Thanks mate !

You learn something new every day :-)

cheers,

babola

There are 3 different sizes

H1 CP 2.65mm HW 1.65mm (most common) :thumbdown:

H2 CP 3.0mm HW 2.0mm (The one Davidsen sells) Will work OK on base models with thin dials.

H3 CP 3.15mm HW 2.15mm (Hardest to get and the best fit IMHO) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Also many of the "taller" cannon pinions that come on the reps will slip and cause the watch to loose time. :thumbdown:

There are 3 different sizes

H1 CP 2.65mm HW 1.65mm (most common) :thumbdown:

H2 CP 3.0mm HW 2.0mm (The one Davidsen sells) Will work OK on base models with thin dials.

H3 CP 3.15mm HW 2.15mm (Hardest to get and the best fit IMHO) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Also many of the "taller" cannon pinions that come on the reps will slip and cause the watch to loose time. :thumbdown:

Thanks for the info Vac !

cheers,

babola

Strange how the lume comes out blue on nearly every picture but then turns out to be green. Incorrect white balance, perhaps?

hi,

try from rc-tritec the superlume BG W9 = white in basic and bluegreen luminous power,

mixed with c3 and c5 both green light.

w9 = 60 %, c3 = 20%, c5 = 20%.

the result is phenomenal.

cheers

rolli

hi,

try from rc-tritec the superlume BG W9 = white in basic and bluegreen luminous power,

mixed with c3 and c5 both green light.

w9 = 60 %, c3 = 20%, c5 = 20%.

the result is phenomenal.

cheers

rolli

i think that mix would be too green... i stay away from c5 except on vintage where i mix orange and c5+c3. i never used BG w9

Strange how the lume comes out blue on nearly every picture but then turns out to be green. Incorrect white balance, perhaps?

Yup, noticed that as well, 111H of mine is green when charged although Flav's photos always show blueish.

@rolli

I use 2 different mixes (via The Zigmeister and Flav), 2/3 C1 to 1/3 C3 for older series up to H-series, and 4/5 C1 to 1/5 C3 for the latest sandwich H-series reps.

The color match is close to perfect. No yellow/green/beige color when non-charged...just nice slightly off-white ivory color.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola