When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tutorial Books/websites

anonymous

hi all,

Can anyone recommend any good books or websites that provides step by step instructions on pulling apart and reconstructing movements, preferably with lots of pics and descriptions.

I have a few old watches that i would like to play with, and i have pulled one apart but have no chance in hell of reconstructing it.

A few places i have found include:

www.horlogerie-suisse.com

www.pmwf.com (See 'How-to' menu on right)

Pretty good pics and instructions, but just basic operations (removing and replacing a movement, changing hands)

http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool

This is a paid site, anyone joined this? Any good?

It seems that they wont let you join the class unless you buy one of their (over priced) tool kits as part of the deal, Sounds like extortion to me.

The timeszone school is actually a good course, took it myself.

I don't remember any link between the tooling purchase and the actual course itself, from what I remember, you enrole in the course and get tools from the suggested kits if you like...or not.

My suggestion is to take both parts 1 and 2 of the TZ course, and expand your knowledge from there.

There is nothing else I have seen that is as complete and detailed as the TZ offering.

RG

Here are a efw books I have found on Amazon.com, anyone seen these and can provide any comments?

Simplified Mechanical Watch Repair For Profit

Practical Watch Repairing

I think I checked the latter out from the library a couple years ago--I just wanted to learn how to remove and replace hands, dials, and crowns, and it was fine for that. I think anyone w/o years of experience who tries to do movement work on a nice rep is asking for trouble.

I think anyone w/o years of experience who tries to do movement work on a nice rep is asking for trouble.

i have a few sacraficial watches lined up - gotta start somewhere. Picked up some old automatic watches from a flea market, $10 each for some old Citizens and Siekos, all working well (owner thought they were broken cos they only worked when you 'shook' them.)

I would quite like to learn how to service watches also - but looking at the timezone courses, they don't cover the chronographs. Any advanced courses (after doing the first ones that is, so I have a clue!)

hi all,

Can anyone recommend any good books or websites that provides step by step instructions on pulling apart and reconstructing movements, preferably with lots of pics and descriptions.

I have a few old watches that i would like to play with, and i have pulled one apart but have no chance in hell of reconstructing it.

A few places i have found include:

www.horlogerie-suisse.com

www.pmwf.com (See 'How-to' menu on right)

Pretty good pics and instructions, but just basic operations (removing and replacing a movement, changing hands)

http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool

This is a paid site, anyone joined this? Any good?

It seems that they wont let you join the class unless you buy one of their (over priced) tool kits as part of the deal, Sounds like extortion to me.

You have a PM

Here are a efw books I have found on Amazon.com, anyone seen these and can provide any comments?

Simplified Mechanical Watch Repair For Profit

Practical Watch Repairing

I have both the above books (and a few others that Am*zon sells)... not too bad... but then again, they don't really cover what your going to need to know to tear apart, service and reassemble in a working fashion ETA movements specifically (the ones you'll most commonly find inside, or copied inside reps), they cover many movements and for the most part explain in a broad overview how to work on an automatic/handwound movement.

I'm currently working my way through the first level TZ school... i've learned alot and would recommend it highly. The Zigmeister above praised the TZ courses... good enough for me.

I'm currently trying to find "blueprints" of the most commonly found ETA movements to work with after I finish out the TZ schools... would love to be able to service my own 7750 clones. (i'm well aware my asian 7750s aren't ETA... note I said "clones"... comparing a Swiss ETA7750 to the asian clones I have has shown differences... nothing too huge... but differences)

If anyone knows where I could source assembly instructions / parts lists / blueprints for our commonly seen rep movements let me know :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree with Ziggy about the TZ school (both levels) and the other poster that suggested Bob Tascione's course (which concentrates on pocket watches, but the fundamentals and basic procedures are the same for wrist watches). If you can afford to do both, I would recommend watching Tascione's basic course once (or twice) before doing the TZ course. The TZ course will be easier to follow after you see the actual procedures in action.

There are a few websites I used as a reference when I did my first service of a 7750. This one ( http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium...674031715938957 ) has a lot of detailed pictures you can use as a reference when re-assembling a 7750. There is also a post by The Zigmeister on replacing an Asian 7750 with a swiss in a pam chrono that also had a lot of good pics. Sorry, I lost the bookmark but you should be able to find it. Also you can use the 7750 oil charts from ( www.ofrei.com ) as a reference. The charts show an exploded diagram showing where the parts go and in what order, it will also tell you with what and where to oil the movement. The 7750 chrono really isn't all that hard to work on, it is fairly neatly divided into a chronograph plate, and the normal timekeeping plate. If you can handle an automatic with no problem you should be able to figure out the chronograph with a little patience.

I hope this helps,

Mike

Also you can use the 7750 oil charts from ( www.ofrei.com ) as a reference. The charts show an exploded diagram showing where the parts go and in what order, it will also tell you with what and where to oil the movement.

Here is the oil chart - great pic

244039-8971.jpg