When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do it Yourself Lasik Surgery

jkerouac

Im at a loss for words here. There are several professional ophthalmic organizations that I am a member of that I don't think have seen this one yet... Talk about flying under the radar. I'll have to read up on this one. Some people can't take a wart of their finger, they don't need a laser to use on their eyes... :thumbdown:

Esmarc :pimp:

And feeling the need to protect those who may be in looking to save money so they can buy their next rep, I post the following...

LASIK (Laser in Situ Keratomileusis)

LASIK surgery is a technique for correcting certain types of refractive problems with the eye (e.g., myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism) through the precise and controlled removal of corneal tissue by a special laser that reshapes the cornea. In the U.S., only ophthalmologists (i.e., physicians who specialize in the medical and surgical care of the eyes) are allowed to perform LASIK surgery, and all such procedures must use lasers that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Any vendor, therefore, offering LASIK devices for patients to use on themselves to perform at-home eye surgery would be both dangerous and acting illegally. Fortunately, the LASIK@Home web site referenced above is merely a hoax, not a serious attempt to market such devices. (Among the many clues to the site's invalidity are a lack of a phone number, a physical or mailing address, and a functioning mechanism for ordering the product supposedly being advertised).

Great spoof site, boy did we have a laugh at work over it today!

Esmarc :pimp:

• 2 months later...

You sceptics.

I will definitely be having a go, work it out about $1000. Afterwards you can fly a plane. The flying lessons alone over here would be $10, 000 equivalent and your eyes would still be crap!!!

Cheers Johnkaz. :plane:

"LASIK@Home is committed to bringing clear vision to those less fortunate. We encourage you to donate your old eyeglasses to your local school, Lions Club, or other charity."

They should just say "your old eyes" in place of "your old eyeglasses".

Ok, maybe this is an old thread, but it is simply irresistible.