When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep buying in Japan?

sauceface

Recently, I moved to Japan, and ever since, I have no idea where the good reps are. Is purchasing reps online still a good idea from Japan?

When I lived in the US, this was not a problem, and have been buyng reps for a while, but I've been told it's too strict here in Japan.

Recently, I moved to Japan, and ever since, I have no idea where the good reps are. Is purchasing reps online still a good idea from Japan?

When I lived in the US, this was not a problem, and have been buyng reps for a while, but I've been told it's too strict here in Japan.

If you want to buy reps in Japan, try to find dealers in the EU or Taiwan. In my experience (and other Japanese rep fans) customs is tighter concerning packages from mainland China. My wife's cousin works for Japan post and he tells me it is a policy they have in place. As a foreigner you can just deny any knowledge of any shipment if you get caught, but if it happens several times eventually immigration will get on you. Basically, my advice is that if you want reps, go ahead and order them but if you get caught once, give it up. It's not worth it. And your chances of getting caught will be less if you find a dealer who doesn't ship from mainland China.

I've bought a bunch of watches from EL and River (who both ship from Taiwan) w/o problems.

Take Kanerich' advice: Any package from Mainland China will be inspected upon entrance into Japan.

Be careful. Osaka's Koreatown has a few dealers, but the cops have been cracking down hard. Be very careful. Japan does not mess around when it comes to busting people.

PS. You will not find much in Kanto (Tokyo) since the law is even more strict. Kansai is your better bet. Beware of Israeli rep dealers in front of subways. They sell crap and they are employed by local Yakuza. Why does the mob hire foreigners to sell reps on the street? If they get busted, they simply get deported and are not allowed to be interrogated. No worries for Yakuza (aside from having to increase the daily bribe to the cop on the beat).

Wow thanks for the advice! But I guess I should have asked sooner...I've ordered a watch from Etaya Honpo, which is being sent from China, so should I be worried about this? They said they put the rep inside an alarm clock to hide it though...

Wow thanks for the advice! But I guess I should have asked sooner...I've ordered a watch from Etaya Honpo, which is being sent from China, so should I be worried about this? They said they put the rep inside an alarm clock to hide it though...

They are getting much more clever...

Alarm clock? How funny. I would not put it past the Japanese Customs to still do a thorough search of this clock. If it's not a real neato or special clock, Customs might wonder why you ordered a dorky nothing-special inexpensive clock from China in the first place when you can by one at a local

I have tried to buy reps in Japan and even posted the same question here 8 months ago. There are a very few out of the way places in Osaka and Tokyo, but the prices are too high and quality too low. You are much better off working with the dealers here. This has been my experience after much research.

Well my watch arrived today in a tin can Disney alarm clock, guess I was lucky. Well my next watch will definitely be from one of the above dealers. Anyways thanks for the advice guys!

Glad to hear it worked out! Sounds like Honpo has got its game on . . . but I still prefer to deal with dealers shipping from Taiwan.

I'm just curious, where are you Japan-based members at? I'm in Kyoto. Representin' the 075 babee! No reps here but the chicks are classy and the city's nice -- not too frenetic, not too boony. Osaka's more fun but Kyoto is a lot less grungy . . . and when you're happily married (i.e. wife watches you like a hawk) probably not so much fun Japanese style is a good thing . . . :lol:

Well I'm currently living in Tokyo, moved here from Hawaii. My mother's side is originally from Nagasaki(Kyushu), which I used to live for about 2 years when I was little. 4 years ago, Ive also lived in Hyougo(Takarazuka) for a little while, but found myself not being able to make a living so went back to Hawaii. Also lived in Yokohama for about a year and a half. Still a noob in Tokyo though!

SHHHHHH!!!!!! We don't need to announce to the WWWeb how clever (exactly how clever) the shipping of contraband has become!

I remember one time I got a watch from abay in 2004, the customs form said "toy wristwatch." :lol: Man, he wasn't even trying back then.

I know you don't like us giving away "inside" tips to our enemies, but I couldn't resist.

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread and have a question or two about Japan also. My wife and me want to move to her mother in Japan for a year or 2. So I was wondering should I leave all my rep watches in America because customs is thorough or is it ok to bring a few (3 or 4 favorites) with me?

Is it against the law to own a rep watch in Japan? Just trying not to get in trouble, but it would be hard not to see my watches for so long> :huh: