When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seconds at 9 on a cheap PAM - Asian 21J

Pix

Hi all,

I have never really been looking for PAMs, but recently had a good opportunity to make my collection more complete for less than 100 dollars shipped.

Well... :whistling:

Have a look here, and tell me what you think about the seconds at 9.

The watch keeps perfect time. I've been told The Zigmeister said this may be normal.

Please do not flame me about all flaws on the PAM, I know them ;)

Pix

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=1850115548517634040

Any idea as to the movement in the watch?

That is way too jumpy for most movements except for the lower quality asian models.

Any pics of the movement?

RG

The Zigmeister, I was secretely hoping you would pop up...

Here 2 pics. :)

post-4381-1178383007_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1178382985_thumb.jpg

Ziggy, I was secretely hoping you would pop up...

Here 2 pics. :)

post-4381-1178383007_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1178382985_thumb.jpg

It's Asian for sure, but I think this is the one the dealers are calling the "Asian 2813" or whatever. From what I know, that movement is an indirect center seconds model, so for them to get the seconds at "9", the must have added some gears, which would explain the jerkiness...

Normally the second wheel is at the 9 position anyway, so if you want seconds displayed there, you install a hand on the end of the post, just like in a 6497 movement.

The basic movement would not be running this jerky, not normal at all, so I think you have extra gears which are causing the jumping hand.

RG

Same movement as in my Breitling SFSO then... I will open it on the occasion.

Thx The Zigmeister for the explanation.

Except visual disturbance (and it is !), do you think this watch is likely to last more than a few monthes or is the supposed additionnal gear croocked or something ? For now it keeps exact time, so I think that it's actually working "normally".

Besides I know an amateur watchsmith, and if such things are easy to fix, I'll ask him and hope he makes it for free or a beer :)

I'm asking you because for the price I paid it, returning the thing will be expensive in comparison. I'm wondering if I'll live with it or negociate a discount with the seller and throw the watch when it's dead and get some better PAM.

Thx for any hint/advice from anyone.

i dont know if its possible but , you can try swapping mvt with a good seagull mvt it has the running seconds @ 9 ock

just eliminate the power reserve feature on the seagull & i think you can save your watch ..

dont know if its possible thou , you would have to wait to The Zigmeister chimes in again ..

good luck .

I have a low-cost 104 from Josh that looks exactly the same as your watch but runs perfectly.

You did well by sending it back.

Would you mind to let us know where did you get it from? (PM me if you prefer). Thanks!

I have a low-cost 104 from Josh that looks exactly the same as your watch but runs perfectly.

You did well by sending it back.

Would you mind to let us know where did you get it from? (PM me if you prefer). Thanks!

Hi,

not from a dealer indeed...

I think I'm going to go for a 7750 one, although I've always tried to avoid this movement. But as far as I understood, it's THE right movement for PAMs

So, let's forget about buying at cheapest and buy one new PAM instead of two used ones.