When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old Two Tone Sub

Lyndonville

Hi, I am NOT a Rolex expert. I've owned a few genuine ones. Last one was a President. Too big, too loud, so I sold it back about 6 to 8 years ago. Anyhow, that's not the point. As I said, I know little to nothing about these. Can anyone determine by my poor photograph skills whether this is a replica or a genuine? I've had it for about ten years. Tim

post-4958-1178666576_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1178666589_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1178666597_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1178666607_thumb.jpg

Huge gap betwen the end sell and the case

Huge luminus dots

The 300 M and chronoMeter the M dont line up

The sels are rep...they must be gold and three piece sels.

Thanks, I appreciate that. So the band should be tighter to the casing, the dots are too big, and the M doesn't work when compared to a genuine. I will tell you two things I do know about it. It GLOWS in the dark big time. :-) The gold is real, like all the way through, even the bezel. I thought Rolex bezels when clockwise. This one doesn't, but, again, I know very little to nothing about Rolex watches. I had the gold parts tested and was told they were for real. The guy must have spent a good penny on it when he bought it. Hey, it was free and given in appreciation and that's not such a bad thing whether it's a rep or not. Tells good time.

Thanks very much for your enlightenment and education. Tim

Thanks, I appreciate that. So the band should be tighter to the casing, the dots are too big, and the M doesn't work when compared to a genuine. I will tell you two things I do know about it. It GLOWS in the dark big time. :-) The gold is real, like all the way through, even the bezel. I thought Rolex bezels when clockwise. This one doesn't, but, again, I know very little to nothing about Rolex watches. I had the gold parts tested and was told they were for real. The guy must have spent a good penny on it when he bought it. Hey, it was free and given in appreciation and that's not such a bad thing whether it's a rep or not. Tells good time.

Thanks very much for your enlightenment and education. Tim

As i said looks realy nice!

As i said looks realy nice!

Thank you very much. I think I'll polish it up and give it to my oldest son for Xmas. I gave the younger one the genuine when he graduated from The Citadel in Charleston, SC. One more down, and about 10 to go! :D

the biggest flaw is the oversized markers. look for a better dial. pretty good looking rep over all.

-bk

Hmm, where would I find that, FleBay, or, ....? If that would make it look better I wouldn't mind doing it. I appreciate that info. Tim

Hmm, where would I find that, FleBay, or, ....? If that would make it look better I wouldn't mind doing it. I appreciate that info. Tim

Try Angus (PureTime) or Ruby and they carry the 16613 having the same window position on the dial as yours. I see carry different rollie dials.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

Maxi-Dial? Again, I know ZERO about Rolex watches. WTF is a Maxi-Dial? Tim

Maxi-Dial refers to the size of the white luminous markers. If you look at the 50th Anniversary submariner with the green bezel (refered to as an LV Sub), and compare that to a standard black submariner, you will see that the luminous markers on the 50th are larger. I forget if it is the Rolex Explorer II or the Rolex GMT Master II that also has the Maxi-Dial, but I think that the Rolex Sea-Dweller also has it. As pointed out, this is interesting as it is an historical anomoly. Either way, you have a very nice watch there, it is only other 'Rolex Buffs' who would spot these details as signs it was not genuine. The average schmoe on the street wouldn't have a clue.

Maxi-Dial refers to the size of the white luminous markers. If you look at the 50th Anniversary submariner with the green bezel (refered to as an LV Sub), and compare that to a standard black submariner, you will see that the luminous markers on the 50th are larger. I forget if it is the Rolex Explorer II or the Rolex GMT Master II that also has the Maxi-Dial, but I think that the Rolex Sea-Dweller also has it. As pointed out, this is interesting as it is an historical anomoly. Either way, you have a very nice watch there, it is only other 'Rolex Buffs' who would spot these details as signs it was not genuine. The average schmoe on the street wouldn't have a clue.

Well, all right then! No doubt I would never know. The other thing I noticed is that most of the ones I've seen have numbers on the sticker on the back of the watch, where this one doesn't. I'm going to take a winger on that and assume they did that back "in the old days." Hahaha! Anyhow, thanks for the education. Tim