When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 stops at night

fredrik m

Hello Master The Zigmeister and all the other experts

I have just received a new SMP crono.

I have used it for 2 days and it seams to have some kind of problem.

It works like a charm daytime ( +1 sec on 16 h ) but it has stopped during the first two nights.

It stops around 1:00.

The date shift works but it is dead in the morning.

After some small shakes it starts to work again and keeps on working so it seams to have some power reserve left.

If it will start working like it should do you think it will keep on working or could these problems return again.

I need a suggestion on if I should return it to the dealer with all the potential customs problems or if I should wait and see if it will start to work.

Thanks in advance

Fredrik

Sounds normal to me , mine won't always run in the winder either , it's just the way they are ..

I suggest at night that you lie the watch down on it's side with the chrono buttons facing up but when that date change comes around it uses up allot of juice ..

Normal !!

Zed

You need to find out if it's fully wound before you can do any troubleshooting. Since this is a uni directional winding model, and the rotor tries to take the path of least resistance (ie the NON winding one), it's probably not getting fully wound while you wear it.

Try hand winding it (slowly) at least 30-40 turns on the crown, do this before you go to bed, and leave the watch alone. Note the date and time you did this. Leave the watch alone until it stops, if it runs for 36 or so hours, it's not defective...

If you find that it stops during the night after you wear it during the day, a simple test is to wind it with the crown, if you wind it and it starts running, it's not defective, it's just run out of power from lack of being wound during use.

RG

Try wearing the watch and doing some fast manual wrist exercise before you go to sleep, it will not work if your wife /GF helps you unless she is wearing the watch. :D

I will give the watch to my wife then....... ;)

Thanks for all the answers : )

I will try the handwinding.

Edited by fredrik m

If it stops at the same time, you have a interferance issue with something, maybe the hands etc...

RG

I started the watch up this morning and set it to 10:00 PM and when I got home from work it was still running :)

Do you think I should send it for repair or try some more days?

If it works for a couple of days do you think it's OK or do you think it will be some more problems in the future?

Thanks!

I started the watch up this morning and set it to 10:00 PM and when I got home from work it was still running :)

Do you think I should send it for repair or try some more days?

If it works for a couple of days do you think it's OK or do you think it will be some more problems in the future?

Thanks!

It sounds like the calendar is causing the problem, since that is the time when it's changing to a new date.

Try and isolate the problem, if it's only 1am when it quits, then you know the reason. It's normally black or white, if it's broken, it's broken, movements dont' normally fix themselves...

As for repair, it all depends on what this means, if you have to return it to the dealer, you should read some of the problems some members have had when they do this.

RG

I do this with every new watch -- manually wind it, slowly, 40-50 turns and then set it on my desk and let it run for about 2 days. If it stops running towards the end of the 2nd day, then I repeat the test. If it stops, again, near the end of the 2nd day, then it is probably fine. But if it stops much before the 2nd day, back it goes to the dealer. Most of the dealers here will repair and return it good as new (if not new).